cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Phish3r
Journeyman III

Black screen after Radeon HD 8690m installation

After downloading and installing the latest driver for Radeon HD 8690m, while installing my laptop had to restart. After restarting it stopped after windows logo and showed black screen for about 7mins and didn't come on. I had to shut it down and now it's not loading past the black screen.

Please I need a solution.

Thanks

0 Likes
3 Replies

You need to post your exact Laptop Make & Model and  Windows version installed and AMD driver that you downloaded and installed.

If you have a AMD APU Processor and the last AMD driver for that APU Integrated Graphics is from 2015/2016 installing the last AMD driver from 2021 for just your HD8690M won't be compatible with your APU IGPU thus the black screen.

If you have an Intel Processor then you can install the AMD Driver from 06/21/2021 without problems but you FIRST must have the latest Intel Graphics, CHIPSET, and BIOS Version install on your laptop plus Windows must be fully updated via Windows Update.

Now if you have a AMD APU Processor you will need to go into Windows Safe Mode and remove the current AMD Driver using DDU while in Safe Mode.  Afterwards you should be able to enter Windows again.

If you are having problems with entering Windows Safe Mode, Restart your laptop 3 x when you see the Windows Logo come up but before entering Windows. After the 3rd boot up Windows will automatically enter the Troubleshooting Menu. From there either:

1- Click on Startup problems and see if you are able to enter Windows with Video output

2-Do a Windows Restore Point from before you installed the new AMD Driver

3-Enter Safe Mode with Networking and use DDU to remove the current AMD Driver.

Or you can just connect a DVD or Flash drive with the Windows Installation files on it.

So which APU Processor do you have? Intel or AMD?

I have intel core i7 4702MQ processor.

I will update the windows and try it again. Thanks

The Intel graphics drivers must be install before the AMD drivers. Go to Intel support and use their search tool. Install all it finds.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html

The last/latest AMD driver for your card:> https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-8670m...