cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

spacedrone808
Adept II

Best driver for Radeon VII 16Gb + Asrock x399M

I find out that 2020 driver series is very unrelable mess [to say the least] with black screens, crashes, freezes and stuttering.

Currently i am on 19.12.3. Last of 19.x series.
Much better than "modern" series.

Some information from my research:
19.7.5 - 19.12.3 pretty stable
19.5.1 - ~15% boost in performance

Your opinion on that?

0 Likes
8 Replies

The new Adrenalin GUI/UI is from 19.12.2 release so ... not sure why 19.12.3  is better. 
Are you using a Hybrid Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI + 19.12.3 drivers? 

According to this: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-9-2 

Almost everything of note is fixed just before Big Navi Launch. 

So I guess you could try that. 

I was on 20.9.2/20.9.1/20.4 etc.. same old ##it

Currently i am on pure 19.12.3.

So, you suggest to roll back to 19.12.2?

ps i suspect that Amd forgot about VII, because they put it in EOL mode.

0 Likes

No not 19.12.2.

I would first try Adrenalin 20.9.1.

Alternative is suggesting you install 19.12.1 to get the QT based old style GUI/UI.

Then use Windows Device manager and update to  20.9.1 by pointing to the INF file directory.

A few questions:

What version of Windows are you running?
Is Windows Version completely up to date?
Are you certain you have uninstalled all Third Party GPU OC tools such as MSI Afterburner etc? If not, uninstall them all.
How much CPU % do you see used bt Radeon Settings beforew you launch it, after you launch it. How much CPU & do you see in the Gaming ->  Games menu, especially if you hover mouse over games and scroll?
I suggest you get a copy of DDU from here: Official Display Driver Uninstaller DDU Download 
Then download Adrenalin 2020 20.9.1
Then ...
Disconnect from internet completely.

Boot into Windows Safe Mode.

Use DDU to remove all preveious traces of Nvidia and AMD Drivers - leave DDU Advanced Options alone, at default. 
Boot into Windows Normal Mode.

Run the Adrenalin 2020 20.9.1 installer - you should not need to run Factory Reset option but since it might do something to help, you may as well,
If you run the Factory Reset option the amdcleanuputility.exe will run, the PC will reboot and the driver will install after login. 
Once the driver installs it might require another reboot.

Once all of that is completed, you can reconnect to the Internet and the driver might actually work w/o crashing.

First of all thanks for such comprehensive answer!

I'm a bit of retrograde: Windows 7 x64 SP2+ ESU up to date.

No GPU OC.

0-1% cpu at control panel [i am on 1950x]

I've already done DDU manipulation before installing 20.9.1. No luck.

But i will definetly try your alternative method with inf installation.

Will report back for sure.

OK - I have been concentrating on running latest versions of Ubuntu and Fedora Linux recently.
I am also running Windows 10 2004 build because I have to.

I do have a few i7-4770K and 4790K machines that I have swappable hard drives to run Windows 7 Enterprise x64 SP2 equipped with R9 FuryX and Nanos.
I need to get back to running thoise machines so I could see if I can install Adrenalin 20.9.1 on one of those machines if you get stuck.

Method with inf installation don't resolve the problem, rolling back to 19.12.1.

Thank you anyways!

0 Likes

Are you absolutely sure you do not have anything like MSI Afterburner overclocking Utility installed?
The latest versions definitely cause problems with Adrenalin 2020 20.8.2.
Maybe you should try a fresh windows iunstall on a new SSD.

Hopefully 19.12.1 will work ok for you but pity you will not get driver fixes for things like blackscreening issues on Navi and Vega,
Once you install 19.12.1 maybe you can try again on a new SSD and Windows install?

It is possible to keep the Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI and then point to 20.9.1 INF directory in Device Manager to update drivers only.
It should be possible to keep 19.12.1 GUI/UI and run with 20.9.1 drivers if straight Adrenalin 2020 20.9.1 install does not work. 

Good Luck.

Bye.

Thanks for all suggestions i will try fresh install in a while.

Presumably when upgrade to 2990wx.