cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

b650 tomahawk wifi with wifi chip corruption

after an unexpected shutdown a minute or two after startup on my windows computer i got errors and bluescreens that rendered it unusable, not even a linux drive i had was working. after some testing i shutoff the wifi chip on the motherboard bios and everything is running smoothly. im wondering if theres any way i can recover the chip or if i will have to rma with the motherboard manufacturer or amd. i can not acess it through windows while its shutoff and i cant enable it without a crash within about 5 seconds

0 Likes
5 Replies

sorry for posting this before i tried everything but i have now got the system fully working by using a usb wifi adapter so the on board chip wouldnt try to connect to the internet and reinstalled the drivers from the motherboard website and everything seems to be working okay now

0 Likes

Problem came back after one more startup

I have no idea anymore how to fix this and the usb adapter isnt stopping it now only thing working is sbutting it off through bios

0 Likes

AMD has developed a Wifi Chip with MediaTek.

According to MSI specs on your motherboard the Wifi is a separate module install in a M.2 slot:

Screenshot 2023-06-25 140558.png

So that being said, I would open a MSI Support ticket to see if MSI would replace that defective WiFi Module or for you to RMA the motherboard to have it checked out or repaired.

EDIT: Downloaded MSI Manual for your Motherboard and couldn't  locate the WiFi Module or M.2 Slot E. It might be hidden under a cover on the motherboard from the photos I seen of it.

Either way this is a MSI Motherboard Warranty issue and not a AMD Warranty issue since MSI is using AMD/Mediatek Wifi on their motherboards.

0 Likes

thnx for responding i think my driver fix actually worked in the end it just turns out i caused the same issue to a hard drive at the same time as the wifi driver corruption and they seemed to be spitting out similiar errors to when the wifi was acting up. i believe im fine for now as im running on the wifi chip after reboot with no issues after i unplugged the drive sorry for wasting your time trying to help me

No problem might as well mark your last reply as your Solution since you found out what was causing your Wifi to act up.

Was your Hard drive connected to a M.2 slot by any chance or to a SATA Port?

If you were using a M.2 SSD or NVME Drive it might have been affecting the M.2 slot for the Wifi. Just guessing though since you mentioned once you disconnected the Hard drive the Wifi issue was resolved.

Because the Wifi has it own drivers unrelated to Hard drive drivers.

0 Likes