cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

istevek
Adept I

Apps and game flashing high contrast/brightness

I just completed a new build: i7 14700K, ASRock Z790 Steel Legend Motherboard, Radeon 7900 XT and Dell G3223Q 4K monitor. After installing the complete AMD driver's suite with Adrenalin, when I open a program like, say, Edge or Thunderbird or Excel, the contrast/brightness in the window suddenly cranks up to almost illegible and then goes back to normal. It flashes like this on and off every few seconds, seemingly randomly. It only happens in open windows/apps; the background on the desktop is unaffected. It also affects Baldur's Gate when I play it. They're the latest version from AMD and I've updated the Windows drivers to the latest as well.

If I reinstall without Adrenalin, the issue goes away. However, I can't play Baldur's Gate on Steam if Adrenalin isn't installed - it just hangs at 100% on the loading screen. Looking for a solution to either stop the window flashes with Adrenalin, or play Baldur's Gate without it. When I use CRTL + SHIFT + WINDOWS + B the issue goes away, but I don't want to have to keep doing that every time I log into my account.

Thanks!

0 Likes
2 Solutions
FunkZ
Paragon

This can be an artifact of FreeSync dynamic brightness. Seems it is more prevalent on VA panels. You can disable FreeSync or try some of the tips/tricks to minimize it.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

rossnathan
Journeyman III

I actually have the exact same GPU and monitor, the way I fixed the issue was disabling "Smart HDR" in the monitor settings. No need to disable FreeSync

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
FunkZ
Paragon

This can be an artifact of FreeSync dynamic brightness. Seems it is more prevalent on VA panels. You can disable FreeSync or try some of the tips/tricks to minimize it.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

Turns out it was. First I disabled FreeSync in Adrenalin. When I disabled it on the monitor, the issue went away and FreeSync is no longer available in Adrenalin. Problem solved!

stingerv
Adept I

The same problem, this is not a problem with freesync, but with the drivers, on the driver whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24.1.1-win10-win11-jan23-rdna everything is fine, newer ones cause a problem in browsers and games, some kind of overexposure , the glow is very bright, the problem cannot be solved, either AMD will fix the problem in the firewood, or this will be a new unsolvable problem of using an AMD video card.
my config: 7900xtx, Windows 11 23H2, 5800x3D

0 Likes

Turns out disabling FreeSync on the monitor fixed the issue. Thanks for replying though. I appreciate the help.

0 Likes
rossnathan
Journeyman III

I actually have the exact same GPU and monitor, the way I fixed the issue was disabling "Smart HDR" in the monitor settings. No need to disable FreeSync

0 Likes

Yes - after disabling Freesync, the issue eventually came back. Turning off HDR on the monitor cured the problem for good.