Drivers & Software

Ryoojin83
Journeyman III

Another Coil Whine Question

I recently built a new computer;

AMD Ryzen 3600

MSI 5700 XT Mech OC

Seasonic Focus SFX 650W

The 5700 XT is incredibly annoying.  I get a lot of coil whine when I have the AMD driver from the website installed, but not when I have the driver from windows update.  Is there a setting I can change with the AMD driver to reduce the Whine?

I experience coil whine when scrolling in Chrome, every time the cursor blinks in MS Word, opening and closing windows, highlighting text, running intense games (expected), and so on.  The cursor blink whine is especially annoying.  I hate listening to that buzz while concentrating on writing a paper.  

I have tried undervolting, uninstalling the driver with DDU in safe mode and reinstalling.  I have also tried limiting frame rates.  I have a 165Hz Monitor, but I set the refresh as low as 50 Hz and the whine remains.  The frequency of the whine changes but not volume.  

I am not sure what else I can do to fix this.  I assume this is a driver issue, because the windows update version of the driver doesn't seem to do it, but I also think I am missing out on a lot of features if I use that driver.   I just don't know what feature to disable to get this to stop.

0 Likes
0 Replies