cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SushiBoi16
Journeyman III

AMD Smartshift is not working at all.

I bought a G15 advantage edition 2 months ago and the performance is really bad. I am getting around 100fps in apex and 130 in rainbow 6 whereas benchmarks from others like JarrodsTech quote much higher numbers. When I checked the AMD software while in-game, it was showing that AMD Smartshift Max was at 0%. I cannot figure out how to fix these issues, I have updated drivers and reset my laptop. I cannot replace my unit as well as my country has no replacement or return policies. Does anyone have any fixes?

9 Replies
SabrePT
Adept II

I have a G17 Advantage Edition and in my case, Smartshift MAX only works (shows a percentage that's not zero and has a red part on the CPU/GPU bar) when the laptop is running on battery, when plugged into AC power my Smartshift MAX is also at 0%. In my case games run smooth and stable when the laptop is using the battery but when plugged into AC power a few minutes after I launch any game the screen goes black and the laptop reboots.

I've asked in ROG forums, here, AMDhelp, ASUSROG and AMD subreddits, I also opened support tickets at AMD.com and ASUS ROG Global and I'm waiting on those too. The only solution provided so far was "send your laptop to RMA", the problem is I already did and they say it's working fine and has no hardware problems.

Not a very good experience with AMD Advantage Edition so far...

Hi,

Do you have an update on your tickets ?

0 Likes

Yes. The laptop reached a point where it didn't even turn on. I sent it to RMA and they replaced the mainboard again. I got it back this week and I'm gonna test it in gaming to see if the reboot issue is gone.

0 Likes

So i've tested it and so far it went through over 3 hours of continuous gaming without any issues.

I'm suspecting the cause of all my problems is a 4Tb M2 SSD I have, that ended up freezing the boot on my laptop. As soon as I removed it the laptop booted again normally without problems. I was having issues with permissions to access it and it ended up with the SSD disappearing from the File Explorer, Disk Management and BIOS.

Either the motherboard doesn't support SSD over 1 or 2Tb or the SSD itself is already faulty and dying. The SSD is 7 months old by the way.

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

The motherboard support page will have a list of supported M.2, Ram, etc. I've run into this exact issue when not using motherboard-supported hardware.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
masterseanu
Journeyman III

Smart shift isn't working for me anymore after upgrading to the latest driver Smartshift stays at 0 when plugged in and will only work when it's on the battery. It will only go up to 70 to 100 percent. How do you fix it? My GPU watts went from being able to do 170 watts to now only 140 to 155 watts so did my CPU. It was able to pull 200 watts. It only goes up to 160 to 150 watts now. My bios is updated to the latest version so is my CPU chipset

my laptop is a ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition G513

Did you find a solution for your issue because I have exactly the same issue. My laptop is zephyrs G14 RX 6700s

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Have you checked to see if changing your power plan to performance helps?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
young09ethan
Adept I

I had the same problem on the same laptop. To fix it, I clean out my drivers in safe mode using the AMD driver cleaner. Then I installed the newest driver from the website. Then I installed, the amd "detect and install" driver's software and installed everything they recommended. Somehow it is now fixed... but performance is relatively the same so i am suscipious that the smartshift may have worked all along and that adrenalin just wasn't outputing the information correctly. 

0 Likes