Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error

I have installed an update from AMD Ryzen Master version 1.2.0.540 to 1.3.0.618. When I start the program I always get the error message:

Ryzen Master VBS Error.PNG

the old version did not have these problems and starts immediately. Only the update of Ryzen Master has been installed.

System Parameters:

Mainboard: ASUS X370-Pro @ BIOS 4008,

CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700,

Windows 10 1709 (10.0.16299.371)

Microsoft Hyper-V installed

185 Replies
Highlighted

Re: AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error

disable VBS...

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

need to uninstall Hyper-V using Windows "Turn Windows Features On or OFF" .

This link from Microsoft explains what Virtual-base Security is under Hyper-V feature: Virtualization-based Security (VBS) | Microsoft Docs

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

First of all, thank you for your suggestions. I am aware of all these proposed solutions.  But I wonder why it worked with version 1.2.0.540 before, AMD must have improved a bit.

@elstaci

you mean uninstall Hyper-V first, then install AMD Ryzen Master and then reactivate Hyper-V ?

@sharktooth

did you mean

Manage Windows Defender Credential Guard (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I would try to uninstall Hyper-V first before disabling VBS. That would be the easiest and fastest and safest way to try and see if Master Ryzen installs without the error. If you aren't using Hyper-V feature than there is no reason to have it installed.

If the error continues than you can disable VBS in the link you gave to sharktooth and see if Master Ryzen installs and works correctly. If it does, enable VBS again and test Master Ryzen and see if it shows the error again or has other errors.

I would follow closely on how to disable VBS on your computer. Make sure you create a Restore point in case something goes wrong or make a System Image backup before disabling VBS. VBS is something I am not familiar with. I haven't heard of anyone else posting about that specific error for VBS on their Windows based computers Master Ryzen program.

I would use the Tool from Microsoft from the link to disable it so that it will be disabled properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

As soon as I completely uninstall Hyper-V, AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 starts properly after a reboot.

After that, i reinstalled Hyper-V and the problem with the VBS error occurs again.

Also my changes in the registry recommended by Microsoft did not bring any improvement

• Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\DeviceGuard.
  • Add a new DWORD value named EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity. Set the value of this registry setting to 1 to enable virtualization-based security and set it to 0 to disable it.

Also my changes in the group policy where I switched off the policy did not bring any improvement.

pastedImage_0.png

So I have now installed version 1.2.0.540 again. This runs 100% correct.

There seems to be something wrong with the new version, otherwise the old version would not work.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

If you uninstalled Hyper-V and Master Ryzen worked, there wasn't any reason to take a risk and modify the Registry or disabling thru Group Policy. This can cause unexpected future problems. Hope you made a restore point before doing all that.

If Master Ryzen previous version works fine then there is no need to update it.

Is there any reason why you need Hyper-V installed?

If you want you can notify AMD Support about this through the AMD REPORT ISSUE. They won't answer you but it will alert them to the problem you were having: AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

@elstaci, of course I had created an image with DriveSnapshot before, so I had no problems after the restore.

I need Hyper-V for different programming environments for professional reasons. I can't live without it.

But as you said before there is no reason to change from version 1.2 to version 1.3 if everything runs smoothly before.

I will get a new AMD system with an ASUS X470-PRO motherboard in 3 weeks. On this motherboard I will do a new installation

with Windows 10. Then I'll see if the bug can be reproduced.

Thank you very much for your support

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I too have this issue, however i just upgraded to an AMD R7 2700x. I'm forced to use the latest version of ryzen master as older ones are not supported. Problem is I also use Hyper V and cannot just simply "uninstall" something I use 24x7.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe, both of you guys, need to open a Email Support Ticket : Email Form , that way you both will get a reply back from AMD Support.

Tomuse , as soon as you upgrade your Motherboard and possibly your Ryzen, you are going to have the same problem as needsnurfing​.

I have a feeling if you disable VBS in any way (through Registry or Group Policy), Hyper-V won't work. Since Hyper-V uses VBS.

Most likely the AMD Moderators have read this thread and aware of the problem.

0 Kudos