cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

noelc
Elite

Re: AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.3.1

Why on EARTH would you want to use Windows 10?

-Noel

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar

I tested 16.3.1 and the results are shocking.

Every 3D application runs appalling.

0 Kudos
nospheratu
Challenger

Thank you for your post.

From my experience and troubleshooting I've traced my particular BSOD/RSOD when launching a game in Crossfire in WIndows 10 issue back to the drivers from 2013. The last driver that did not exhibit my CrossFire issue is the 13.1 Catalysts. Under Windows 7 and 8.1 the issue rarely occurs and when it does it's intermittent. I have logged the issue using AMD's issue reporting form numerous times but since there's only a few reports that I was able to find online it does not seem to be widespread and AMD has ignored my reports.

User's that have confirmed the same issue consistently experience the same bug check code with the exact same memory address for the atikmdag driver. As you have already mentioned users that I know who are experiencing this issue have either downgraded their OS or removed a card in order to play games again.This is occurring on vastly different platforms and GPU architecture. Windows 10 just made it more apparent which is probably a good thing granted it gets the attention it deserves and is fixed, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Since I can work around the BSOD/RSOD using the AFR Friendly rendering mode it seems to be related to CrossFire profiles and only occurs on certain games. If the affected games all share a portion of code for the profiles it makes perfect sense.

WIth the forming of the Radeon Software group it gave me a glimmer of hope but in my experience its been more cosmetic changes and a step backward in functionality.

I've chronicled my experience on my thread here ​ever since I made the move to Windows 10. Currently I am dual booting Windows 7 and 10 so that I am able to game on Windows 7.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Why do you keep repeating this? It would be much more palatable if you said " Crimson is not stable..for ME.". I and none of my friends have any gaming issues at all....Win10 or Win7. But....this is with single cards. How did this turn in to a crossfire bashing post? You have a issue with crossfire...make another post. The release notes did not mention any fix for crossfire...so why are you surprised?

0 Kudos
john007
Exemplar

Hello.

AMD forum moderators advise users to downgrade back to CCC. That's enough evidence to state 'crimson is not stable' with all due respect.

I've posted once about crossfire which was a reply to an AMD user.

'That's why I always use one GPU.

Its a rule.'

Of coarse I'm not surprised crossfire has been problematic for over 10 years. Also unless you have five screens no real point in crossfire/sli.

One card is fine.

If you still think crimson is stable today go on Reddit, plenty of detailed statements on the state of these drivers.

0 Kudos

"AMD forum moderators advise users to downgrade back to CCC. That's enough evidence to state 'crimson is not stable'..."

Where can I find detailed instructions on doing this?

I have a single Radeon HD7970 and I want CCC, my functionality and my presets back, but I want the latest drivers for the card, with NO Crimson Death. Things just do not work or look the same.

For example, when I ALT-TAB out of an MMO, the desktop would have the same lighting, contrast and brilliance settings as the MMO, which was fine. It actually looked better. And when I ALT-TAB back in, the game would be the same as it was before I ALT-TABbed out.

NOW, when I ALT-TAB out, my desktop goes all BRIGHT, and when I ALT-TAB back into the game, the game lighting settings are screwed and I have to go into the Graphics set up and click to lower brightness by 10%, then back up by 10% to reset it. This is a total pain in the place from where the Sun seldom shines.

And that is the least and most minor, but fixable, issue.

Apart from anything else, Crimson Death is unusable. The font is FAR too tiny to read and cannot be scaled up, although the splash panel can be enlarged. The colour scheme is some sort of grey on a darker grey background.

Do these imbeciles not grasp why the Egyptians and Chinese invented paper that was light in colour and ink that was black? When did anyone last write anything with grey or white ink on a black background?

And why can the text font not be scaled up?

And why is it so ludicrously tiny in the first place?

0 Kudos
iainob1
Adept III

Because there is nothing wrong with Win 10. It is amd drivers that are the problem. It is the Os that people will be using. The fact that already there are dx12 issues on Amd shows the the immediate future for Amd looks bleak.

Dx 12 is being very much down played by card manufacturers as the gains in the early testing show massive gains on existing cards, the gains have been downplayed in the industry due to the need to sell new cards. Game makers will be using dx12 for sure but us being forced back to Windows 7 or 8 due to broken drivers is again holding gaming back. For the short term it may be worth rolling back to previous windows but for the near future it is not. When it comes to my next card purchase I have a good memory and I know where my money will go.

Amd has just not been able to cope with changes made to Windows 10 and I think the fact that I'm seeing similar bugs in the pre Crimson drivers too shows that the new windows has really exposed bad driver code that maybe was being masked.

To be fair I have to add that using my card in windows 7 and 8 had been great and I only had minor niggles that Radeon pro got rid of. But as of right now my older 680 ftw is performing much better than the r9 295x2 in Windows 10 in games especially dx9 games which are a mess in Win 10.

It is not only crossfire that has troubles it is there in single cards if people test them properly.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

What I did to retain the CCC...I used the 12.6.1 Beta drivers with the 15.11.2 Beta control panel. Worked great. It will not work with the 16.3.1 drivers, But unless you have issues that the 16.3.1 fixed you're not missing much. Wipe your computer of AMD software the regular way using DDU. Install the 15.11.2 manually but uncheck 'display drivers. Reboot and install the 16.2.1 Display Drivers only. Result is a functional CCC with functional drivers.

kingfish
MVP

That's a big assumption on your part...but I guess I don't know how to "test my card properly."

0 Kudos

Cheers. What's DDU?

I usually uninstall, go into Safe Mode to remove all dregs and vestiges with Driver Cleaner, reboot into normal mode, ruin a registry cleaner, reboot into safe mode, repeat to be sure, reboot into normal mode, re-ruin the registry cleaner and then install from the downloaded exe. I have a copy of most CCC versions and driver downloads since March 2012.

All my friends use nVidia and have never had to jump through these hoops. They say they just upgrade, reboot and carry on. With Radeon drivers, I've have to reboot two or three times to get them to take.

Just one of the many reason my next PC will have an nVidia 4 GB in it. Crimson Death is Reason Number One.

I mean, they bother coding the interface so that the icons fly around like locusts for NO DAMN REASON. AT. ALL.

But they do NOT bother putting in a scalable font or a colour scheme so I can actually READ what is there?

It's a shame, really, as I've used Radeon cards since 2002 when I got a new PC to play Morrowind from disk. Several PCs since then, but always a Radeon.

Not any more.

They slaughtered any Brand Loyalty on the Altar of Remedial Stupidity with this release.

0 Kudos