cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pano21
Adept I

AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Not Working After Driver 23.11.1 Installation

Severe issues with Radeon RX 6700XT after installing recent GPU driver version 23.11.1

What happened:

I was playing Call of Duty MW3 about two weeks ago. I hadn’t updated my GPU driver in quite some time but the new game seemed to be running just fine. However, every once in a while, the game would crash and a pop-up message would occur urging me to update my driver. Like I said, the game ran just fine, so I did not see the need to update. But, after a few crashes, I thought why not… It’s probably time to update to new drivers anyway. I went to AMD’s driver page, downloaded and installed driver version 23.11.1 and immediately started experiencing issues. 

Note: Prior to this situation, I had never changed any BIOS settings, never tried any sort of overclocking, and have never had any serious problems with any piece of my PC. 

Symptoms: 

Immediately, I began to experience display artifacts. Across all uses of my computer, little black squares began appearing and disappearing everywhere. It’s worth noting that if one of this squares were to stay motionless for a moment, I would be able to cover it with my cursor. In chrome, while doing homework, some sentences and other visual lines spontaneously became distorted and almost “smeared” across the screen. 

While trying to reboot Call of Duty, I was never able to make it past the loading screen. Initially, the shaders were not able to optimize, and the game would crash. Eventually, in the middle of the load screen, the display would turn black for a moment, followed by the loading screen appearing with the message “DirectX Error: DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error”. Minecraft and Elden Ring both launched, and I was able to play, but there were terrible display errors. Artifacts, reduced frames, and sometimes a 100% GPU utilization (in vanilla minecraft!) rendered both games unplayable. 

Again, it has been around two weeks since these issues began and they have not stopped. 

Troubleshooting:

Initially, I had no idea where to begin. I started by googling that DirectX message from Call of Duty, but was never able to find anything remotely similar to what I was experiencing. What I did find was a new error message in Device Manager > Display Adapters > AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT > Properties > Events. It read, “Device not started (amduw23g)”. I then tried rolling back my GPU driver to the previous version… to which the same issues persisted. From here, I began a process of uninstalling and reinstalling new and previous driver versions via AMD cleanup utility. I tried a few, some going as far back as 2020. However, the same issues occurred regardless of the version I was using. Unfortunately, somewhere amid this process, I deleted and no longer have access to my original driver version (though previously using that version proved not to be a solution). I had done a similar trial and error process with my chipset driver as well.

With no fix thus far, the next step I found was to completely reset my OS (Windows 10), and just reinstall my drivers. Maybe something had been corrupted that a factory reset would get rid of. So, I reset Windows (saved all important files on a thumb drive) and reinstalled driver version 23.11.1. No fix. 

Next, I turned to the physical parts of my PC. On multiple separate occasions, I tried reseating the GPU and my RAM sticks. No fix. I even had the opportunity to swap my GPU completely with a friend’s NVIDIA GeForce card (I don’t remember the model). Upon swapping, everything worked fine. No artifacts, no reduced frames, but most importantly games would boot as playable. 

The last thing I tried to do on my own was update my motherboard BIOS version. I noticed my old version was from 2020, a bit outdated. So, I followed the correct steps to update my BIOS to version 5003 and the issues continue to persist. 

AMD Support:

After continuously failing on my own, I began a case with AMD support. To first build a case, I had to send them dxdiag and msinfo32 reports. To the best of my knowledge, and based on their response, there seemed to be no issues with these reports. Prior to this I had sent them a summary of pretty much what I said above, plus some screenshots and pictures of the errors and issues I had been experiencing. 

After investigating the reports, these were the four steps they had me follow:

Load default settings of your bios (done).

Update system bios to latest version 5003 (done).

Perform clean boot of your OS (done).

Run AMD Cleanup Utility and install latest driver version 23.11.1 (done).

I followed these steps, which were more or less just a systematic version of the self-troubleshooting I had done earlier. So I asked what should be done next and they recommended “reset the motherboard BIOS (clear CMOS)”. I followed my motherboard’s manual and properly reset the BIOS by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery. This was the last thing I tried, still no fix.

What I think happened + additional notes:

Something obviously happened to my GPU after installing the most recent driver version. I have tried troubleshooting with my motherboard, RAM, OS, and a different GPU. My final estimation is that the issue lies in the GPU. As for my PSU and CPU, I haven’t looked much into the CPU and would have to rule out the PSU considering it was perfectly compatible before the initial driver update. 

Final notes: I built this PC towards the end of the Pandemic. I have had it for over 2 years and have not experienced any issues until now. If I have any warranties, then I believe they have expired. The support agent I have been in contact with at AMD has been nothing but suggestive and helpful, however, after a week of back and forth, I still haven’t fixed my issues. I am not sure where to go from here, but I am reaching my breaking point with this card. Please let me know if you have any advice or information that may be of use. Thank you, Alex. 

Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor, TUF GAMING X570-PRO (Wi-Fi), EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT, 2x8 GB Ballistix RAM 2666MHz

1 Solution
pano21
Adept I

Final Update to my forum:

Unfortunately, the AMD Support agent I was in touch with has no more help to offer. In the end, we could not figure out the issue. They recommended I file a warranty claim on my GPU... but unfortunately it has expired. 

Moving forward, I most likely won't purchase an AMD GPU again, nor will I recommend it to anyone. 

View solution in original post

20 Replies
pano21
Adept I

Update: 

I have recently updated my OS to Windows 11, installed driver version 23.11.1 for Windows 11 and the same problems continue. 

alexme33
Adept I

I have the same problem and buying AMD is really problematic for me now.

Well it could be that the new drivers are problematic with your system. why didn't you try installing some older drivers ? Run AMD cleanup and just install some older drivers like 23.7.2 or 23.5.2 or something else. Here is the webpage with older drivers. https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-6000-series/amd-radeon-6700-seri...

Thank you for responding,

I'm sorry, I may have miscommunicated, but I did in fact try to install older drivers. Initially, I rolled back to my original drivers, which did not fix anything. For the sake of your suggestion, I just went ahead and installed 23.7.2 and then 23.5.5 (after using the cleanup tool) and the same issues continue to arise. 

0 Likes

Hi Alex,

Thanks for responding, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing similar issues. I hope we can both resolve this.

0 Likes

Hello, I am having the same problem with my RX7600. If installing old drivers works please let me know. Thank you!

Amd's drivers have sadly pushed me all the way to nvidia. I can never trust amd again after having to live for 10 months with a card lacking basic functions and being unable to sleep or idle my pc. 

0 Likes
pharuan1
Journeyman III

I just got an RX 6700 XT today and am having issues with my computer crashing while the driver is being installed.

It will do the initial screen flicker, then it will crash after the second one. So bad, that windows isn't able to repair itself and I have to do a full system restore.

So right now, I'm stuck with using Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

I have used the current drive, I've used the one from back in April (chosen randomly), and the driver that windows tries to install.

All of them crash the PC.

Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB RAM, RX 6700 XT

me too. same issue, can you fix this?

0 Likes
PissedOFFseriously
Journeyman III

same thing happened to me, whatever they released is hindering our GPU'S where the FIX AMD?!?! either that or send me a new card? Feels like it might be done purposefully to me.

alexme33
Adept I

Hello friends, I have not received any errors for exactly 4 hours. The problem is related to the Windows update and the AMD software, unfortunately, both of them are involved in this. I am currently using a modified Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3324 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0, this Windows operating system. Any errors. No, it's 24 hours, that's the only positive thing

alexme33
Adept I

Hello friends, I have not received any errors for exactly 4 hours. The problem is related to the Windows update and the AMD software, unfortunately, both of them are involved in this. I am currently using a modified Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.3324 Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19041.1000.0, this Windows operating system. Any errors. No, it's 24 hours, that's the only positive thing

pano21
Adept I

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I will keep updating into the week my discussion with AMD support. In the meantime, if anyone finds anything useful, please post. 

0 Likes

Hi, im experiencing the same issue with you and did all the troubleshooting you did as well. Any update on your issue? 

alexme33
Adept I

I have started using RTX 4060 ti ProArt now and sent it for refund to AMD.

0 Likes
pano21
Adept I

Final Update to my forum:

Unfortunately, the AMD Support agent I was in touch with has no more help to offer. In the end, we could not figure out the issue. They recommended I file a warranty claim on my GPU... but unfortunately it has expired. 

Moving forward, I most likely won't purchase an AMD GPU again, nor will I recommend it to anyone. 

For me i solved alot of issues changing powersetting for pcie in bios from default(power saving) to disable.

Have you tried to downclock your gpu? With 23.5.2 my gpu boost up to 2930mhz in mw3 which is stable and with 23.11.1 it boost up to 3060mhz which causes direct x error, game_ship.exe

Hardwood
Paragon

Our systems are almost identical. And  I'm happier than a pig in mud with this vidcard. Amazing. Big difference is Win11 pro.

Did you run DDU and let it clean EVERYTHING AMD? and in your case the Nvidia drivers you must have installed.

I also just updated my mobo to the 5003, loaded defaults and then disabled COM ports and wifi.

Other:

1) use drivers from your vidcard manufacturer's site.

2) be sure both PCIe power lines are secure.

3) if AMD software Adrenaline is working, use it to check for updates

4) INSTALL WIN11 (the way of the future)     I get this feeling the new drivers don't like win10.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
Eliminater74
Adept I

I bought a ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Gaming Graphic Card, 12GB GDDR6 VRAM, AMD RDNA2 (RX6700XT CLD 12G from newegg because it was on sale for new years thing. when I got it, it I removed all my NVIDIA drivers using DDU, had a ASUS NVIDIA 1660 Super OC Edition.. and after I removed all the drivers and shut down and put new gfxz card in.. loaded it up installed the AMD drivers,  messed with no settings other then the VR stuff. I am a VR User. everything worked perfect, it was late and I shut down my VR set, which Disconnect from PC.. went to sleep.. woke up next day checked out my PC, and noticed the AMD Control panel was missing and a few other things were off. and the control panel wouldnt load.. so I figured reinstall drivers just in case maybe something happen from my old NVIDIA stuff, so I once again ran DDU removed all AMD drivers for GPU, and tried to install Drivers again.. Nope.. Crashes right at the 50% mark.. screen goes black and PC reboots.

my system. Windows 11 Pro

Gigabyte: B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 32GB Ram
GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D Gaming Graphic Card, 12GB GDDR6 VRAM, AMD RDNA2 (RX6700XT CLD 12G)

and I tried over and over to install drivers.. only the basic driver view would work. I even went as far as to fresh install Windows 11, and even durning the install when windows installs the drivers for the card, it crashed.

I returned my card, for a exchange.. hoping that might fix the issue.. but after reading all these I really wonder on that.... If I have more issues after the exchange. I will never buy AMD again.. this is my first AMD card.. and prob my last.........
BTW: thinking maybe it was my computer, I put my NVIDIA 1660 Super back in. and worked perfect..

I even tried the other 2 PCIE ports.. still wouldnt work installing Drivers it would crash..........

I dont know what is wrong with AMD but they need to get their sh1t straight before they start loosing users.

knepich
Adept II

Try to limit your gpu freq, to 100mhz below specified freq.

My gpu 7900xtx is supposed to boost to 2.5ghz, but at stock settings in warzone it boost to 3.1ghz

Warzone is sensitive, so when my gpu boost above 2.5ghz it will eventually cause a crash direct x error or so.

I have limited my gpu to 2440mhz but it will still boost to 2495mhz just below the specified value of 2.5ghz and this solved the crashes

0 Likes