cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Metista
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Crashing, Black Screens, and Stuttering

After my old NVIDIA GPU finally gave out after years of usage, I bought myself an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT after Black Friday last year. I even purchased a GOLD edition 750 W Corsair Power Supply to make sure I had more than enough power to power a new GPU. I had a diagnostic run on my computer at Microcenter shortly after to make sure everything was in tip-top shape (I am very cautious with my electronics). Overall, I devoted a lot of time and money to make sure everything would run smoothly for the games I play.

A couple months later and I had started to notice that my GPU would just crash and cause a black screen on a frozen monitor when I would occasionally play Valorant. I didn't think anything of it since it was not that often. As summer hit, the crashes and freezing became way and way more frequent. For example, I would be playing League of Legends and click ALT TAB to change a song and again; freeze and crash. I was always hit with the "Graphics Card has crashed" message after I had to either restart or wait for my screen to load. I started checking the temperature to see if anything was overheating and that was not the issue.

Months down the line and its now November of 2022 and the crashing has become so frequent that now anytime I play a game I have to close everything else out just so it can run normally. Every forum I initially checked told me to "update my drivers" . Recently, I just updated to version 22.11.1 and the crashing has become so frequent its ridiculous. After this update, I also have seen the flickering screen issue whenever I'm watching a video or running multiple things at once.

I know this is a common issue or known issue for the driver updates but honestly I'm not really sure what else to do aside from uninstalling the latest driver and installing an older version where it wasn't finicky every minute of the day. Honestly, it makes me miss my old NVIDIA graphics card. If there is no solution to this soon I will definitely never purchase from AMD again :).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maria

0 Likes
1 Reply
airhammerandy
Journeyman III

I had a similar issue, I found that my pcie slot was configured as 3.0 instead of 4.0. Once I fixed that I load tested the gpu and everything is good now. 

0 Likes