Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

omti
Adept I

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Frequent discord crashes

Hello,

I've got a problem with my Radeon RX 5700 XT. As a gamer I'm also a discord user. Now I've got the problem that my discord regularly crashes while the GPU stays at 100% in the windows task manager. I also cannot close the final process that's pushing the GPU at 100%. I can only make this stop after rebooting the computer. Even then the GPU often shows 100% usage in the task manager even when there's no open process. (Anti-malware programs haven't found a crypto miner). This can persist over multiple reboots, only resetting when I reinstall the driver.

Since the current stable version had some known discord bug, I tried updating to the "optional" version of the driver, but this only made the problem worse. Previously this only occured when I viewed pictures in discord (though it wasn't reliable), now it just randomly occurs (for example when switchign channels or even just trying to type something). I have reset the driver to the stable/recommended version, but this didn't really make things better.

While I had no issues in any games I played (except when the discord crashed this also crashed my game (factorio in this case) since it apparently deactivated the GPU for a moment) the increasing frequency of the discord crashes makes me worry this does damage the GPU. Especially since I can't not use discord.

I hope you can help me.

Omti

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.9.2 Recommended (WHQL)
  • Display Devices
    • Some HP office screen
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • MSI B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • Corsair CX550M (550 Watt)
  • RAM
    • 16GB
9 Replies
crular
Journeyman III

Did you already try to disable hardware acceleration in discord?

How do I do this?s (Edit: Anyway found an explanation: How to Disable Hardware Acceleration On Discord - YouTube , maybe that'll work)

Anyways, it just crashed again and I added a bunch of screenshots. If it's not the hardware acceleration thing maybe that gives people some idea what might be going on. Alternatively can I provide some sort of crash reports or GPU readouts or something? (Someone would need to tell me where to find them though)

+1 to this,disable it also on steam and firefox if you use it

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

0 Likes

With this driver, the error appears less often but did not disappear completely, I got a screen fading when the operating system started up, for 1-2 minutes, while playing the game it’s still enough for 5-7 minutes and an error occurs, rebooting helps to get rid of the problem but, it’s all equal may appear.

0 Likes

With hardware acceleration enabled discord regularly crashes on 5700 XT (reference) and this often leads to a graphics driver crash. 
With hardware acceleration disabled discord doesn't crash on my system.
A friend of mine has the exactly same issue running Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse

Edit:
It does crash even with hardware accel disabled, it just happens less frequently.

Edit2:
I apologize for a misinformation. There are actually two hardware acceleration related options in Discord and i was mentioning the one in "Voice&Video" settings section.
Disabling hardware acceleration in "settings -> appearance -> hardware acceleration" menu makes things stable with 19.10.1
Interestingly, i actually had enabled hardware accel all that time and didn't have any issues with discord using rx 5700 xt till 19.9.3

where discord hardware accel issues were claimed to be fixed.

0 Likes

Updating the driver to 19.10.1 was the first thing I did. It was just the opposite of helpful. The discord bug actually occured more and not less. Instead of just happening when images were loaded, it just occured even when I was just typing or switching channels.

So I downgraded back to 19.9.2

Deactivating hardware acceleration seems to work with 19.9.2. I didn't have a crash since I did this.

0 Likes
john_titor
Journeyman III

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-10-2 
>Some Radeon RX Vega and Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products may intermittently experience a thread stuck crash or TDR when there is a high GPU load active.

Has this issue been resolved in 19.10.2?

0 Likes

Well, with high load it is actually fixed. BUT when being idle or jut using pc to make ppt (low load) it still crashes for me. 

0 Likes