cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pshort94
Adept I

AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series Issue / Not Working

I’ve got a problem with my graphics card / PC / Windows config. Wondering if anyone can help? Apologies in advance, PCs aren’t my forte.

Dell 15R SE 7520 with AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series (7730M I think). Running Windows 10 (up to date).

When I was turning on my PC, I was getting the following error when my PC got to the login screen. The PC then restarted and worked 'ok' with caveat below.

Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

What failed: amdkmpfd.sys

However, when I run UserBenchMark.exe the internal graphics (Intel) runs fine, but when it tries to run the AMD Radeon I get:

WARN: skipping AMD Radeion HD 7700M Series – unable to locate attached display.

I have tried the following:

Installing AMD Radeon HD 7730/8730/7670/8670/8850/8870M Graphics Driver from Support for Inspiron 15R SE 7520 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell UK.

Result: UserBenchMark.exe still gives same warning.

Installing AMD Radeon HD 7730M driver from AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M Drivers & Support | AMD Windows 10 64 Bit: Adrenalin 21.5.2 Recommended (WHQL). Same as that identified by by the 'automatic' AMD ‘tool’ radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.12.1-minimalsetup-211202_web.exe.

Result: Have tried twice, both time same outcome… Got to 69%/70% installed and then locked the PC up – had to turn off with power button. PC would then freeze every time on login screen. Tried the automatic repair tool in the Windows boot troubleshoot menu, but this didn’t resolve it. Then booted in safe mode and uninstalled AMD, still no luck. Then rebooted in safe mode and cleaned the registry using CCleaner. Automatic repair tool then worked and PC is back up and running. However, UserBenchMark.exe still gives same warning (as expected).

So, as far as I can tell, my AMD graphics card isn't working; is my interpretation correct? Any ideas of a resolution?

10 Replies

The answer to your question depends on your processor.

Intel or AMD? Which one?

APC?

Screenshot_4.png

It's an Intel Core i7 - 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz

0 Likes

The Intel graphics must be updated before updating the AMD graphics. Go to Intel driver support and use their driver update tool. Install all updates it finds in addition to the graphics driver. Then install the correct AMD driver.. https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-7730m

Also make sure your OS is fully updated before doing anything:

AMD software and drivers are designed to work best for up-to-date operating systems. Please be sure to update your operating system before installing drivers.

I've run the Intel tool and everything was already up to date. However, it does say under AMD Radeon HD 7700M Series "Availability: Offline".

The AMD driver link you posted is what I've used previously (Adrenalin 21.5.2 Recommended (WHQL)).

Windows is up to date.

In response to your other post, no yellow error marks in Device Manager.

Thanks.

@pshort94 Hi, I have the same laptop but with  i7-3612QM CPU @ 2.10GHz processor.  I have disabled the Radeon 7730M from the device manager last year after it complete froze during the last update. I have tried to re-install more than 10 different older versions to rollback and tried all the combinations (first clean up all the drivers, then Intel HD 4000, then Radeon; first Radeon, then re-install Intel, in safe mode, in normal mode etc.) but never got AMD work again. It's a very painful process as you have to force shut down with power button, boot to safe mode, clean with DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), etc. So I gave up and disabled it completely, running it on only integrated 4000 which practically rendered the laptop useless. Dell's support is famously a joke and non-existent. Have you found any solution?

I'm 'glad' to hear it's not just me. However, sadly, I gave up after my last message. Fortunately for me, these days, my laptop doesn't get used for anything intense in 3D, so I can get away without it, but it annoys me knowing that it doesn't work, and that I'm screwed if I ever do need it.

I might try again sometime but, like you say, it's a right PITA having to boot in safe mode and sort it out after it inevitably crashes. 

Good luck; please let me know if you find a solution!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'll just throw this bit of information in the pot, but I don't think it will help with your problem.  The error message "Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" is something I have seen in years past when there was a problem with one of the memory sticks in a desktop system.  If, during an install process, you get to a certain point and the system locks up, that could be a memory issue.  If there are accessible memory SODIMMs in your laptop, you might try swapping them or at least re-inserting them into their memory sockets.

I could be wrong of course, but it's worth a try.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

For a while, I had felt the exact same frustration of knowing that it doesn't work, but then I had some sort of closure concluding that the AMD card physically completed its lifespan and that both AMD and Dell are brands not to be purchased under any circumstances with no basic customer and technical support whatsoever. 

Cheers.

Hi. I’ve got the same problem with my Radeon HD 7730m but my processor is AMD A10, what should I do?

Do you have any yellow error marks in Device Manager?