cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thisisvigil
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon 6800XT (XFX Speedster) keeps crashing and disabling - HELP PLS!

So I'm running into a weird issue that I believe is with my AMD Radeon 6800XT GPU (XFX Speedster MERC319). My PC specs are (i5-12600K, 16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, AIO cooler, X fans)

Essentially: I'm playing Fortnite on 60 FPS (set in-game to 60 fps on my 1440p monitor with most high performance settings turned off) but randomly mid-game my screen will go black, GPU will crash (RGB on GPU shuts off) and the PC itself shuts down (case fans stop spinning/no RGB).

Here is what happens next (this order of steps has been done a few times by me due to repeated crashes):

1. I boot my PC back up > go to device manager > under 'Display Adapters' see my Radeon 6800XT, click on it and a window pops up (Image) with the device status reading "The device is disabled. (Code 22). Click Enable Device to enable this device"

2. I click Enable Device and it takes me through a few pages but then the last page says "Windows successfully enabled this device, however, this device is still not working properly."

3. The next screen further clarifies the issue "The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers requested for this device (Code 31)."

4. Switching tabs from General to "Driver" on that screen, if I click Update Driver (Image) device manager, it says "The best drivers for your device have already been installed"

5. The confusing thing is this initially happened a few weeks ago where iirc the driver installed for my GPU was Adrenalin 22.11.1 Optional (WHQL - Nov 15th drivers) however the PC crashed and the GPU was disabled saying I needed to download new drivers. I was like "this makes sense sucks that AMD Adrenaline didn't auto-update/install the newest drivers but I'll do it myself.

6. At the time the newest drivers were one of the Feb ones Adrenalin 23.2.2 (WHQL Recommended) so I downloaded that off AMD's site and did a "FULL INSTALL" of it thinking it would clean out any old remnants of the previous drivers installed.

7. PC worked fine for a few sessions but then same crash happened again. Turns out AMD released a newer set of drivers on March 7th Adrenalin 23.3.1 (WHQL Recommended) so I did a "FULL INSTALL" of those too thinking that would be the last of my issues. These are the drivers I installed: IMAGE

8. That was yesterday. Today playing Fortnite, game crashes with same symptoms so I'm like "FREAKING HELL, did they release a newer set of drivers but turns out no...AMD did not. I was confused so I re-downloaded the March 7th Adrenalin 23.3.1 (WHQL Recommended) drivers and did a "FULL INSTALL" and then restarted my PC and checked Device Manager where it said everything was working fine

9. Not even 30 mins into a Fortnite session, same crash happens, same exact error messages and screens and I have to re-download the March 7th drivers even though I literally installed those 30 mins ago. Played another 30 mins of Fortnite and same issue happened again

I AM SO LOST AND CONFUSED HERE ARE MY thoughts:

a) Fortnite issue? (I can try other games after redownloading the March 7th drivers to see if Fortnite is the problem but I have it on 60 FPS which my PC should easily be able to handle

b) March 7th driver issue - Do I need to revert back to older, stable drivers? If so, wouldn't my PC crash like it did in the first go and tell me to install the newest drivers available?

c) GPU heating up? - I got this snippet from my iCUE software saying my GPU was at 90 degrees after I restarted the PC post-crash. I have 5 fans in my PC (2 front radiator intake, 1 front panel intake, 2 top exhaust) which I think is a decent set up so I don't see the issue of PC overheating

d) I'm not clean installing properly the newest drivers or maybe I should not be doing a clean install?

e) Got a **bleep** GPU and need to RMA?

I seriously seriously seriously would appreciate any help. This is driving me nuts

0 Likes
2 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Windows is probably changing out the drivers in the time it takes before the crash happens. I would look into doing this. Solved: How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Updat... - AMD Community

It's a simple fix typically. I would follow the guide then run DDU and reinstall current drivers. Windows overwrites drivers regularly and it causes a lot of issues.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes