cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bingoarun
Adept I

AMD R9 M375 - Lenovo Z51-70 - Can't install AMD drivers after Windows reinstall - freeze and black screen

Windows version : Windows Build 18362.19h1_release.190318-1202
Laptop model number : Lenovo z51-70 80K6

After windows fresh installation, I am not able to install AMD drivers. While installing the screen freezes and after rebooting it is showing a black screen.

I tried both the version provided by lenovo for this laptop model - https://support.lenovo.com/in/en/downloads/ds103652

and the latest from AMD (Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.2) and using their auto-detect tool.

I also tried to install from device manager.

All results in the same error.

Previously it happened 3 months back, I was able to overcome it by installing drivers from device manager and then install the latest from AMD. But this time nothing helps.  

If someone using the same model provide their AMD driver version number, it would be of great help. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
rawintellect
Challenger

Re: AMD R9 M375 - Lenovo Z51-70 - Can't install AMD drivers after Windows reinstall - freeze and black screen

Have you tried 19.7.2?

kingfish
MVP

Re: AMD R9 M375 - Lenovo Z51-70 - Can't install AMD drivers after Windows reinstall - freeze and black screen

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Z51-70-Notebook-Review.150613.0.html 

Your laptop uses the Enduro switchable graphics:

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.1 Release Notes | AMD 

Important Notes

• Support for AMD Enduro™ technology switchable graphics mode has been discontinued starting with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.5.1. Users who wish to continue to use AMD Enduro™ technology switchable graphics mode may do so with prior supported Radeon Software releases.

Laptop graphics update...How to 

You must use drivers prior to 19.5.1 (19.4.3 or earlier)

AMD Radeon™ R9 M375 Previous Drivers | AMD 

Perform a clean install of the drivers using DDU:Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.1.5 

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers 

bingoarun
Adept I

I tried 19.4.1 and 19.7.2. Both didn't work. While installing, the screen froze at around 37%. I tried to restart after 5 mins, assuming that the installation was still in progress. After restarting, it ended up in the black screen. 

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Probably because Windows is trying to install the driver it thinks you need. Thats why you have to disable/delay Windows update. When you use DDU as recommended, select these options:

Please read this > https://community.amd.com/thread/180667 

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Make sure you have the latest Intel graphics driver:

Laptop graphics update...How to 

For laptops with Intel/AMD graphics:

2. The Intel graphics drivers should be the latest offered by Intel Support.

Use their 'Driver Download Tool' to get the latest version. These must be installed before the AMD drivers.

0 Likes
bingoarun
Adept I

I did exactly the same steps, intel is the latest, disabled windows update in DDU. Still no luck. Screen freezes while installing at 37%. 

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Report it to AMD > AMD Issue Reporting Form 

Have you checked Lenovo support for a bios update? Home - PC Support - US 

bingoarun
Adept I

Yes, I already did a BIOS update. 

0 Likes
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have you tried a clean install of Windows? Starting to think the GPU might be faulty if you can't get any driver to install without the same issue.