Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Wilkotheslayer
Journeyman III

AMD R9 380 NO LONGER SUPPORTING DX12??

Hi All,

So I have just spent the last 3 weeks back and forth with the AMD global support trying to get AMD to update their GPU driver and resolve the following issue whilst trying to play a game called "The Isle" (Evrima).

dx12 is not supported on your system. Try running without the -dx12 or -d3d12 command line argument

After spending time in the Isle Discord support thread I was advised that my GPU ( R9 380) does not support DX12 and the features UE5 uses.

After rechecking the GPU spec which clearly says that is supported I decided to reach out to the AMD global support.

AMD global support requested that i send them my dxdiag and msinfo and a picture of the error so i did.

They came back and said "If you wish to play these game in your system then I would suggest you to please use supported OS for your GPU such as windows 10 with latest GPU driver version 22.6.1 then check the issue status."

So deciding to play their bluff I purchased a copy of Windows 10 for the exercise

I reinstalled win 10 on a new drive reinstalled the software.

SURPRISE SURPRISE - IT STILL DIDN'T WORK.

So I reached out to AMD one again.

They then advised " 

To narrow down the issue, I would suggest you to please perform the below troubleshooting steps.
1.Please perform load default settings of your bios and make sure that you are running your system at stock.
2.Please install latest AMD chipset driver version 5.05.16.529 in your system.
3.Please perform the clean boot of your OS.
4.Please install and run AMD cleanup utility to remove the previous GPU driver from your system and install latest AMD GPU driver version 22.6.1 in your system.

I was thinking to myself maybe I didn't exactly follow the steps with my last install so I formated the drive again and reinstalled win10 completely fresh with nothing else.

I then followed the steps noted above. Bios Default. Win10 installed. updates done. installed chipset. Clean  boot - amd cleanup then Driver 22.6.1 - reinstalled the game....

GUESS WHAT !! - IT STILL DIDN'T WORK.

So i reached out again to AMD global support.

They responded with;

I request you to please contact your game developer once and check if they have any patch update or any suggestion for this game since it mostly like to an issue with this specific game.

Seeming AMD was pointing out that it was a now a game issue I decided to hit the Isle Discord again.

After some time in the Discord channel it was made clear that although my GPU once supported dx12 it now doesn't because AMD decided to end driver support over a year ago....

So frustrated with the fact that I had spent the last 3 weeks for nothing I reached out to AMD with the following:

So there are guys with nvidia gtx 1050 that can play this game. You know why.. because nvidia continued to support that card.

Why didn’t you guys keep supporting it into windows 11 like nvidia? As I have previously stated I am a long time supporter of amd.

Sure I will most likely update my gpu soon when I can afford it. However im afraid my loyalty wont be enough to stop me going green team.

Why? Because im afraid this will happen to me again.

Please for heavens sake update your drivers!!!

AMD responded with;

Please be informed that You have reached out to AMD customer care where we provide technical and warranty support for AMD products and technologies.
As a suggestion, you may consider sharing your thoughts and suggestions about AMD products and technologies on our community site, a place where our customers’ voices can be heard.

I started thinking to myself that it is disappointing to see the support for DirectX 12_0 dropped considering this card's performance on most modern titles.

At a time where consumers are feeling the pinch due to economic conditions AMD has seemed to have abandoned its customers.

I am a loyal customer of AMD products and have been for some time now and up until now was red team all the way.

My R9 380 has been working like a dream even playing current titles with no issues.

Unfortunately it looks like this blissful dream may be over.

SO I'M HERE NOW

HOPING FOR A BETTER OUTCOME

HOPING AMD STILL CARES ABOUT ITS CUSTOMERS

HOPING IM NOT PROVED WRONG.

IF I AM - RIP AMD

REGARDS

WILKO

3 Replies

Doubt there will be any further driver updates, originally the 2021 driver was meant to be final. The 2022 driver was some ASIC (security?) update.

You could try modified drivers, guru3d forum.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Hi Goodplay,

Modified drivers are not an option and will most likely break my GPU.

When i bought the GPU it was clearly shown on their website that the GPU supported DirectX 12 features.

I am not asking them to support dx13 or anything other than what was promised.

In Australia we have some pretty good protection laws for consumers in regards to False and Misleading statements. 

All I am wanting is AMD to deliver on their statement that the R9 380 supports DirectX12 Technology (as shown on their website) and provide a subsequent update which resolves this issue.

Providing an update to me seems like the better route to take.

I am also looking to purchase another GPU down the track when i can afford it probably in the next year or so.

If I buy say a 6600xt in a year or so will the support be discontinued after 4 years like R9 380 seeming the GPU at that stage will be 4-5 years old already?

I will be interested to hear officially from AMD what their take on the above will be.

Regards

Brock

0 Likes
Ilija09
Journeyman III

i have the same graphics and the same issue and i cant believe that someone could just not give a **bleep** about people with low budget, i'm switching to team green as soon as i can

0 Likes