cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Skrybe
Challenger

AMD Freesync vs Variable Refresh Rate

So I just noticed in the Display settings that display one (Dell S3221QS) shows as AMD FreeSync but Display 2 (MSI MPG321UR-QD) shows at VRR. So I have a couple questions relating to this;

1. Most importantly - is there any difference in performance/features? The MSI is a far better monitor so it's the one that's set as primary in Windows and it's the one I game on.

2. Assuming there is a difference in performance/features - how do I get the MSI to show as AMD Freesync? Is it possibly because the Dell is over DisplayPort and the MSI over HDMI?

3. If there is no difference - why name them differently? It leads to customer confusion and doubt.

Side note: When I bought the MSI I could have sworn it had FreeSync listed on their marketing, but looking at the website now I can't see it, just G-Sync compatible. Maybe it's because it's prominently mentioned on the DisplayNinja review I read before buying this monitor.

0 Likes
1 Solution
RokZon
Adept I

Hello,

Just popping in with what I know to be true. I don't think I can answer all of your questions, but I can at least help.

It is indeed because one is DisplayPort and the other is HDMI. I have two identical monitors that support FreeSync. I only have one DisplayPort on my card, so my second monitor is using HDMI. It uses Variable Refresh Rate instead of Adaptive Sync Compatible. If you mouse over the question mark, they both state the exact same thing, verbatim. So, it seems that there is no difference. As to why the name is different, I have no idea.

But from what the software is telling us, they do the same exact thing.

As to accessing the FreeSync option on your MSI monitor, I am not sure. I'm sure you have, but I have to ask, have you gone into the monitor's menu to look for the option to enable the feature? I had to do that with my monitors before they were FreeSync enabled.

Actually, I did some research, and if you are able to enable VRR for your MSI monitor in the Radeon Driver Software, FreeSync is already enabled. At least in the articles I read, FreeSync compatible displays are required for VRR to be enabled in the software.

Anyway, I hope this helped in some way. Take care,

-RokZon

─────════≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡☺≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡════─────
400 games and nothing to play

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RokZon
Adept I

Hello,

Just popping in with what I know to be true. I don't think I can answer all of your questions, but I can at least help.

It is indeed because one is DisplayPort and the other is HDMI. I have two identical monitors that support FreeSync. I only have one DisplayPort on my card, so my second monitor is using HDMI. It uses Variable Refresh Rate instead of Adaptive Sync Compatible. If you mouse over the question mark, they both state the exact same thing, verbatim. So, it seems that there is no difference. As to why the name is different, I have no idea.

But from what the software is telling us, they do the same exact thing.

As to accessing the FreeSync option on your MSI monitor, I am not sure. I'm sure you have, but I have to ask, have you gone into the monitor's menu to look for the option to enable the feature? I had to do that with my monitors before they were FreeSync enabled.

Actually, I did some research, and if you are able to enable VRR for your MSI monitor in the Radeon Driver Software, FreeSync is already enabled. At least in the articles I read, FreeSync compatible displays are required for VRR to be enabled in the software.

Anyway, I hope this helped in some way. Take care,

-RokZon

─────════≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡☺≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡≡════─────
400 games and nothing to play

Thanks for the reply. I suspected (hoped) that there was no difference between the different versions of variable refresh rate tech other than the name.

I might try switching the MSI to DisplayPort and the Dell to HDMI and see whether the MSI is suddenly considered a Freesync monitor. That would confirm it's something to do with the connector. I should have thought of that earlier to be honest.

0 Likes

About a month late getting back to this and I switched the connectors but the MSI is still not showing as freesync. And for some reason no matter which port I plug them into the Dell is always Display 1 and the MSI Display 2. Kinda strange...

0 Likes

Which monitor is no 1 and no 2 is independent from the graphics ports and it is handled by Windows settings.

Right click on Desktop > select Display

1. First select and set the primary monitor of your choice and click Apply.
2a. Set the monitor resolution for each of them and click Apply.
2b. In the same menu a bit further down on the page, click Advanced display options and adjust accordingly for each monitor Update frequency in Hz.

3. Set the monitor display style: duplicate or extended monitor setup and click Apply.
4. Set the monitor position by click and drag the boxes on top of that page and click Apply.
For ex. if You want your primary monitor to be to the left or right side.

Here is a guide: Dual screen setup for desktop computers https://www.cedarville.edu/insights/computer-help/post/dual-screen-setup-for-desktop-computer-monito...

Best regards from Sweden

0 Likes

I understand how to set monitor 1 and 2 (I've been running multi-monitor since Windows 98). Just observing the weirdness that for some reason the Dell always defaults to monitor 1. Generally if you switched the connectors between the two monitors it should become monitor 2 and the MSI monitor 1. But it doesn't.

0 Likes