Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Skyyie
Adept I

AMD FreeSync causing frame drops in Brave Browser in laptops

Hello,

It seems AMD FreeSync is causing frame drops in Brave browser when we are watching 1440p at 60 FPS or higher resolution videos. Sometimes, it even causes frame drops at 720p@60 FPS. If we disable FreeSync manually (using Adrenaline software) for Brave browser, it stops the frame drops, but we cannot do that if we prefer to use "Drivers only" version.

I guess AMD driver does not recognise Brave browser as a browser, because if I rename brave.exe file to any other browser (where I am not facing issues like this) such as chrome.exe, msedge.exe or vivaldi.exe, the frame drops stops in YouTube videos. I assume, the driver automatically disable AMD FreeSync for executable files with those names.

I tried contacting AMD's support about it, but they did not want to understand anything. I doubt they even read anything, except that the problem is with Brave, because they kept telling me to contact Brave support instead. And the Brave team have been ignoring it since 2021, so I doubt they would do anything.

So, can AMD do anything about it? Anyone here can tag anyone from AMD to get this issue noticed?

By the way, it seems to be happening only on laptops (tested only on laptops with dGPU) and high refresh rate panel. I have tested it on a few laptops and they all had the same problem.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Skyyie
Adept I

Finally, after like two-three years, AMD has fixed this.

I am not sure what made them fix it for Brave browser. I did report it through their AMD Bug Report software as well as asked Brave devs many times about it. Regardless, something took their attention towards this and they have fixed it with the latest AMD driver 24.6.1.

0 Likes