cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

falita
Adept II

AMD Drivers and VR

Ever since Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-21.10.2-Win10-Win11-64Bit-Oct25 came out, none of the updated ones work properly with VR applications without some sort of problem and this kept going... two years later and this latest 22.5.1 and 22.5.2 is even worst, I think AMD forgot about VR and all related to that so i strongly recommend if your card is supported on the last properly working driver 21.10.2 please use that one otherwise i'm sorry for you, your only alternative is using virtual desktop with h264 encoding.

This is the part where some dev, community manager or anyone that can deliver this small list to the drivers team that actually has a quest 2 and is not blind so it can check easily and see how terrible it is (most likely this will die here like all the threads related).

This are the problems with any newer driver after 21.10.2:

Airlink: For some reason bitrate is capped at 65-75Mbps (i think this cap appeared with 22.5.x), looks awfull, tons of compression artifacts, stuttering every few seconds, depends on the driver version sometimes you get like a bad reading on the controls and the screen keep shackin like you'r moving while staying still. And the encoder HEVC from AMD is not supported and seems like it never will be, why not reach out to the meta team? and get support from the most used headset on the market?.

ALVR: The configuration of 150% scale, 90hz, 150Mbps, HEVC that worked smoothly now has stuttering issues, white dots appearing and makes the app unstable with possible crashing but H264 gets very choppy forcing a scale of 100% tops, unfortunely making it look blurry.

Relive VR: I have made a thread here related to the beta 2.0
https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/Radeon-ReLive-VR/issues/121
TL DR: You won't get the same image quality as Airlink, ALVR or Virtual Desktop, but it will work. (preferable to play with a cable at this point unless you are ok with a blurry, low quality image)

Virtual Desktop: The only app that works BUT the encoder has to be H264 otherwise you will crash in games, in SteamVR, some at the moment of loading like Hellsplit: Arena, or other like GORN or Into the Radius will crash after a few minutes or hours and when it happens you will be lucky if you don't need to reboot the system in order to get the Adrenalin menu to work again or steam to launch a game properly.

Tested on a 6800XT and 6900XT.

92 Replies
Skill3r
Adept I

I have find a great work around. Just swaped back to Nvidia and everything works fine as before. Good bye AMD.

I don't want to like this, especially with NVIDIA jacking prices up beyond all reason. I am planning to buy another high end video card in the next couple/few months, but I can't even consider getting another  AMD card if they can't fix the VR bitrate issues and keep them fixed. 

Interesting...

So finally I think to not buy 7900 and stay to Nvidia...

mikeljason
Adept I

So they've fixed the wobbly dashboard as of 22.10.2, but the bitrate issue is still present. At this point are we sure they're even aware of the bitrate issue? It isn't listed as a known issue. I'm otherwise happy with my 6800xt, but since VR is a huge percentage of the time I spend using a GPU right now the multiple months of handicapped bitrate is not ok. My laptop 3080 is a better GPU for VR right now, which considering the performance delta between desktop and laptop performance is really bad. I'm glad I didn't get a AMD laptop GPU now. This needs to be resolved AMD team. 

calliopekitty
Journeyman III

With 21.10.2, are you able to use virtual desktop flawlessly (no driver crashes)? Would I also have to change my encoder in virtual desktop or no?

I use air linked quest 2 with virtual desktop. 

dtdman420
Adept II

We need AMD to make a dedicated VR driver for the vr community that we can stick with. If that is even possible. 

Do you think if we got a vr headset that is dedicated to pure PCVR would the problems still exist?

DamoSmitty
Journeyman III

I agree with the above conversation. I recently purchased an amd card for the sole purpose of using it for VR. I googled the card and initially it looked good for VR. It even has VR ready stamped on the box. So i assumed paying the price of a gaming console for a graphics card with VR ready stamped on it would give me adequate results. 

Clearly I was wrong. Im capped at 60mbps via airlink. Other streaming solutions are no better. Its really frustrating seeing people with nvidia cards getting literally 10 times the bitrate. 60mbps was barley considered fast 8 years ago let alone now. I didn't understand why people were all pro nvidia despite costing more for less performance. Now i understand, its the things like this that arnt advertised on the specs. I regret buying AMD and wish i went Nvidia, I think i will reccomend friends and family to stay away based on this experience. Looking at this forum i think the issue is going to be around for awhile given that AMD hasn't even acknowledged it. Im gonna try and sell card asap and buy a card that is actually fit for purpose.

dreadpirateb
Journeyman III

Same boat here

VR through quest 2 on my 1660ti is stunningly clearer than my 6600. Same driver issues as above (using a dedicated wifi 6 router). Unacceptable there has been no official reply or communication on this longstanding issue, AMD.

Looks like I should have stuck with Team Green *Sigh*

where VR quality? 

since a few months i test VR performance and all i get is an image that looks good for 5m around me and the rest is burred bull**bleep**. 

i really really wanna play all my simulators in VR with a quest 2 but all i get is bad image quality so i stick to my 4K TV

AMD announced a new Gen of GPUs apprently for "gaming and content creation" wich should include VR but it dont seem to be like that so. why we cant have a good image quality on the quest? 

even if i bought my 6800 for 4K 60 gaming VR should have at least a good quality and not look like someone tried to run a modern AAA tilte on a geforce 5 

0 Likes
CarloAbarth
Adept I

I bought an XT Radeon 6950 RX 2 weeks ago and only play simracing. Previously I had an Nvidia 3600TI and could play Raceroom with my HP Reverb G2 with a constant 90fps GPU at medium resolution. CPU load 10% (AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D). Now Raceroom has become virtually unplayable. With the AMD 6950 only 25 to 30fps are possible (in the lowest resolution!) and CPU load 80%!!! The GPU sleeps at 15%. Solution in the Sector3 Studio Forum of Raceroom: Switch to Nvidia again, everyone has problems with AMD in VR which have not been solved by AMD until today (Driver). Also rFactor 2 does not work at all anymore (starts and stops). I'm pretty pissed....It can't be that the VR support from the 6000 series is still as good as non-existent! I'm waiting to see what happens with Driver in December/January, otherwise I'll switch back to Nvidia....

Now this surprised me. I've found that with current drivers (22.11.1) everything is working as it should for virtual desktop only on the quest 2 for the most part. Alvr/airlink are still a mess on quest 2. I mainly play Skyrim VR and I was able to get good fps with vd at quest 2 native res on my tuned 6800xt. The only issue I had was occasionally (normally after an hour or so of play I'd start getting issues with the game nearly locking up but then self resolving. I wanted to see if all this was just because of the encoding so I got an HP reverb g2. The performance has been really good with it and I'm very pleased. Once I work out some controller issues with the wmr controllers I think it will be good. I may have to try race room out and see if that works or not. So far everything has worked well for me (in steam VR) with the g2.

0 Likes

Please test Raceroom, it does not work even with the new driver. GPU load is very low, but CPU extremely high, so it is unplayable. Extremely low fps in the lowest resolution.

I just picked up my VR again for RaceRoom. I have a 5800X and a 5700XT. I use this switch in the steam launch options " -cefEnableGPU -vr 1.5" and then launch the game with the non-vr steam option 64 bit. I get much higher fps that way, but it's ugly and it still doesn't maintain 90 on larger tracks or where the environment is a little busier like on pitstraights. I really want to know if newer cards do better. I read somewhere that the old 1080ti's are best and even newer Nvidia cards don't do better because the sim runs on old DirectX9/10.

[ 5800X3D | Aorus 6950XT | MSI B550 | H115i Pro | G.SKILL 32GB 3600Mhz | 850W Gold | Samsung Odyssey G7 240Hz | HP Reverb G2 (v2) ]
0 Likes
DG2
Journeyman III

The new owner of quest 2 is in touch. Today I got my quest and began to use it through AirLink on my RX 6700XT, although the picture was not bad, but there were often statters and sagging bitrate, I tried several versions of drivers, but none of them managed to reach a bitrate higher than 100 mbps, which of course I was dissatisfied with. After searching the Internet, I found a post advising to change the Encode Bitrate setting in the Oculus Debug Tool, I set it to 150, which solved all my problems, now during game sessions I have a stable 150 megabits without subsidence. Drivers version 22.11.1. I am pleased with the result, although it would be better if I did not have to go deep into the settings.

0 Likes

for my 6700xt : in adrenaline option VR bitrate max 170

in quest 2 bitrate fixe 170

and wifi 5 bande at 160 Mhz and not 80 Mhz

and work fine

Sorry for my langage i am french

0 Likes

Did you monitor the network bandwidth usage with task manager that OVRserver uses during operation? Just moving the sliders and setting the bitrate does nothing. Maybe the 6700XT is unaffected.

0 Likes
CarloAbarth
Adept I

The new driver 22.11.2 fixes problems of new games, but the old known problems are simply not fixed in terms of VR. Raceroom, rFactor etc. disaster. What changes the issue then the new 7000 generation? If AMD does not get the driver problem under control, then the best AMD hardware with the best price/performance ratio is of no use to us. A change to Nvidia will probably be inevitable - spending 500 Euros more means no more stress and being able to play well-known racing simulations without restrictions again.

0 Likes
Nytevizion
Adept II

I've been reduce to using a dual boot Windows 11 scenario. One OS has the OLD AMD driver and is used just for room scale wireless VR with Quest 2. The other OS has the latest drivers so I can benefit from the updates and features for newer titles.

This is ridiculous. Still not even a mention of this issue from either manufacturer.

Wali763
Adept I

Hello.

Im using a 6800XT from Sapphire on a B550/5800x3D.
Mostly Im playing DCS (flight simulator) in VR using a HP Reverb G2. Since half a year Im using OpenXR instead of SteamVR, also with AssettoCorsa and that works for the most part quite well for me. Especially in DCS but also in AssettoCorsa OpenXR is visually and fps-wise (far) better than SteamVR for me.

As others have mentioned before, compared to the competition AMD offer a worse exerpience in VR.
For example I cannot use reprojection since it looks awfully in OpenXR (like raindrops all over the lens) and with SteamVR (less raindrops, but still visible at times) Im loosing 30%fps and my GPU only runs at ~70%.

So, Im stuck at capping my fps to 45 (actually 47) and not using any sort of reprojection (neither SteamVR, WMR or OpenXR).

But I still have to use 22.3-drivers since all drivers after that introduced micro-stutters. The frametimes look good, but the image - sometimes more, sometimes less - is stuttery. Ive tested all newer recommended and optional drivers, but always went back to 22.3.

Now, why Im writing this.

Im quite keen on getting a 7900XTX (if prices are not as inflated as with the recent GPU launches), since this could eleminate my need for capping my fps to 45 and thereforw getting rid of all the ghosting and sideffects of 45fps on my HMD.

But since all newer drivers introduced the stuttering and the new 7xxx- GPUs for sure would require the newest drivers, Im very hesitant to buy a new GPU. And this even not considering all the other (minor) problems AMD has with VR. If a friend would ask me for advice and VR is a consideration, Id for sure not recommend AMD.

So, AMD plz do something about your VR-situation! 

If you haven't, use debug tool and reduce your FOV multiplier to .74 for both horizontal and vertical for 20% improvement in performance. Or lower until you see the edges of the viewport. If you use the glasses spacer you can probably go lower. You should be able to run at least a solid 72+ FPS with that card doing this.

Hi.

Im not sure what debug-tool you mean?

I only found a "WMR DEBUG TOOL for cross eye alignment", but there is no FOV-slider.

In OpenXR toolkit only Nividia-GPUs can adjust FOV...

Thx

0 Likes

The debug tool I speak of is in the subdirectory of your Oculus install folder.

Program Files/Oculus/Support/oculus-diagnostics/OculusDebugTool.exe

Load that up before you enter airlink/link. Set the FOV .74 for both horizontal and vertical. Leave it open and then link. This only works for link/airlink.

It's not a slider. You have to enter the numbers manually 0.74. It's a percentage. Obviously 1.0 would be 100%

Screenshot-(1).jpg

0 Likes

Hi. Ok, this wont help me, since I do not use an Oculus ptoduct. Have a Reverb G2.

Thx anyway.

0 Likes

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you were using Reverb G2.

0 Likes

I would stay very far away from any amd gpu. I am still stuck with one but as soon as i get the chance, i am upgrading to Nvidia.

littlealieniv
Journeyman III

Thanks guys for this thread. I was thinking about AMD advantage laptop, but seeing this is slap to my face.

maltfranc
Journeyman III

Same here!

I just replaced my GTX 1060 6gb with an RX 6900xt 16gb.
The image quality was very good with the Nvidia card but now that I have the new AMD...

Now I have the same problems as you.
My bitrate stagnates at around 60mbps even though I manually adjust it in the Oculus app.

Would Virtual Desktop be the solution?
If not, is AMD really reading the comments in this thread...?
Is it possible to open a "ticket" so that they take care of it?

System details:
Windows 10 22H2
Drivers: 22.11.2
AMD Ryzen5 3600
Gigabyte RX 6900xt 16gb
16gb DDR memory

VD is the best option for VR  on AMD GPU in my experience. ALVR is also a good free option to look into. 

0 Likes

You have the option to revert to an older driver, (before March 2022) and Airlink will function with full bandwidth. Unfortunately you will lose all the latest features available with newer drivers.

AGAIN: NO MENTION OF THIS PROBLEM FROM EITHER COMPANY.

Judging by the comments in both AMD and Oculus forums, it's a wide spread problem and not just an anomaly for a few. I also assume many people aren't realizing that it's crippled. You don't know unless you check your real time bandwidth usage or notice the abysmal image quality.

Been using AMD/ATI for decades. This will be the last AMD product I ever own and I'm sure as hell not going to be purchasing anything from META ever again.

Why does AMD provide this forum? They aren't even listening.

littlealieniv
Journeyman III

Guys, one of users of this thread thanks to his enormous tenacity might have achieved of propagating this bug to developers. See end comment here - https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AMF/issues/364

Community pointed me from here - https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/Radeon-ReLive-VR/issues/132

Bernek
Adept II

AMD Drivers are LEMONS. I bought a high end card back then 6800XT and performanc in VR is TOTALLY BAD.

I bought a Quest 2 and it works TERRIBLE. I'm soooo sory for selling my 2080TI.

I'm waiting for pay day so I can sell my 7900 xt and buy a 4080 for VR. You and everybody else that wants to use VR should do the same and go to NVIDIA 100%. Amd is not recommended for VR at all.

They should be ashamed for what they did to VR and to people who bought their cards for VR. I have an old 1080TI that works better than 6800XT in VR !! isn't that crazy ?!?!?!?

Bernek
Adept II

People should understand one simple thing ... that I didnt understand myself. You want quality and reliability and 100% working features ? you go INTEL and NVIDIA. End of story ! You want problems and switching drivers ? stay with AMD pay less and get way less.

0 Likes
Hash_
Journeyman III

My screen literally goes black as soon as I plug my Valve Index's displayport cable into my GPU... Are they trying to tell me something here?

0 Likes

Yeah maybe the time has come for you ! You need another GPU

0 Likes
CarloAbarth
Adept I

My problem with the lousy VR drivers and the 6950XT is solved. I bought an Nvidia RTX4090 today. Goodbye AMD

Nytevizion
Adept II

Before and after driver version 22.2.3. In case the folks at AMD need a visual reminder.

AirlinkBitrateBefore.jpgAirlinkBitrateAfter.jpg

Bernek
Adept II

And if you try H264 you can go 500 Mbps easily.  But will they release a fix ? Ever ? dont know they had some unfixerd issues for 1 year in the drivers release notes. I think this is it for me too tired to wait for amd driver team to fix their own products. I will change to nvidia and never look back. Just need money to get another gpu sadly. I bought the 6800XT when the prices were crazy. I should have got the 3080TI would have been better in any way.

0 Likes

OOf, i did as well. My palm and face hurt pretty bad at the moment.

0 Likes