cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

AMD Driver Updates Showing up in Windows 11 Updates

I threw a copy of Windows 11 onto a spare computer (B550 motherboard with 3700x CPU) to see if the OS has become usable in the year or so since I reverted back to Windows 10.  After installing the AMD chipset drivers, I checked Windows Update and found it wanting to install:

• Advanced Micro Devices - System - 1.0.0.83 (in the main update area)
  • Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - System - 8/30/2017 12:00:00 AM - 5.12.0.38 (under Optional Updates)
  • Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - System - 8/29/2017 12:00:00 AM - 2.0.1.0 (under Optional Updates)
  • Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - SecurityDevices - 5.17.0.0 (under Optional Updates)

What ARE these?  Do I want to install them?  If I don't, how do I remove them from Updates?

EDIT:  Cursory searching on the internet makes it look like they should be part of the chipset drivers (I've installed the latest).  Just look at those two items with dates.  They're 6 years old.

EDIT 2:  The first one looks like it was part of AMD's  Chipset Driver 2.17.25.506 in June 2021:  "AMD PCI Device Driver... Windows 10: System stability improvements."  The last one apparently is to fix the "AMD Chipset Driver Information Disclosure Vulnerability." from late 2021:  "AMD recommends updating to AMD PSP driver 5.17.0.0 through Windows Update or by updating to AMD Chipset Driver 3.08.17.735."  So, why is Microsoft Updates pushing these things that have been long fixed in AMD's Chipset Drivers?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, seems Windows recognized the hardware and gathers drivers randomly. But once you install them, it'll keep pushing updates till the latest is installed.

I guess Windows keeps pushing old drivers because after hardware is recognized and if the drivers matches a component's exact hardware ID, regardless of source, Windows will choose that driver to list for updating. Probably selects the driver with the most recent timestamp when it was released.

Best you install the latest from the AMD page itself. And you can also Disable or turn off Display Driver Update. You can find this on, Advanced System Setting - System Properties - Hardware - Device Installation Settings.

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Thankfully, those old "updates" that Windows Update wanted to install disappeared overnight.  No idea why it took so long for the list to clear.  But, I'm good now.  Thanks for the reply.

That's good to know, and you're welcome.

0 Likes