cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

solber
Adept I

AMD Driver crashing on youtube

Hi. Since a couple of month now I'm having issues with my 5700 XT. I'm running version 22.2.2 (can't upgrade to 22.2.3 -> my graphics card is not detected by AMD when launching AMD Radeon Software).

The issue is that as soon as I launch youtube on a chromium based driver. One of my screen (currently have 3 plugged in) will crash and go black. And if I continue watching the whole PC crash with no BSOD.

I tried with one screen and got same issue. I've read other articles saying that disable hardware acceleration could help (and it does work) but I need it for work so I can't disable it.

EDIT :

Disabling hardware acceleration seems to help. But does not prevent crashes. Just reduce them

1 Solution

Apparently that was the issue. The sad thing is that I had WHQL drivers install. but when you update nothing tells you that you're going to download and install non WHQL update and that was my issue.

So tips of the day : Check if the version you want to update to is a WHQL one. If not don't update X)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

Running an RX 6900 XT and for a month or 2 I have been seeing weird visual glitches/stalls and audio cutouts on YouTube.

Honestly no clue what's happening.

My system hardware and software work fine in all other applications.

2 possibilities is that YT servers are overloaded due to ongoing world events and its just something we have to deal with for the time being or YT has suffered malicious directed attacks on their servers and are in the process of damage control/containment.

Do yourself a favor clear your browser history every time you leave YT. I do this and always find adware bloatware broken registry files and attempted tracking cookie installs. I have specific software through my AV that blocks and removes this junk way better than windows cleanup utility ever could.

Try finding a DIY of how to use GPE (windows pro) or registry editor (windows home) to block windows telemetry services.

This is windows data collection service that always runs in the background and severely impacts all system performance. Yes this is MicroSoft spyware with a normal sounding name. Best place to hide something is in plain sight. 

I found using the GPE or Regedit greatly reduces these annoying issues when just web browsing. Though for the past 2 months I've noticed strange but rare screen artifact appear on popular streaming sites like YT local news station website and video streaming services.   

0 Likes

Thanks for your answer and for sharing your experience

However I don't think it has something to do with "YT Servers" as the kind of issues I'm having have nothing to do with yt servers themselves.

As I said in my edit. I've seen some improvement by disabling hardware acceleration in chrome so my bet is that it's an AMD driver issue

0 Likes

If you are running the optional and not WHQL driver then yes there is a good chance you will experience support issues.

If your problem is only happening on YT then that points to a source not on your PC.

Though Windows 10 and 11 do have a lot of ongoing driver support issues.

Display drivers have minimal effect on web browsing and streaming services.

Now if your Windows OS .Net Framework is not up to date it will cause problems for your internet audio and visual hardware and software.

0 Likes

That's a good point. Apparently I'm running on non WHQL drivers that might be the issue

0 Likes

Apparently that was the issue. The sad thing is that I had WHQL drivers install. but when you update nothing tells you that you're going to download and install non WHQL update and that was my issue.

So tips of the day : Check if the version you want to update to is a WHQL one. If not don't update X)

0 Likes
gandalf
Adept II

i have the same problem

0 Likes

Actually if you use Auto Detect and update it will always default to the latest driver whether that is optional (Beta) or WHQL.

To avoid this always use manual option and make all your appropriate selections from the drop-down menus.

Also avoid using MicroSoft update or third-party providers to update any AMD hardware or software.

The AMD download support page is very clear and easy to understand. 

The only way to download the wrong software is to do so manually by accident/or on purpose.

The other way is Auto Detect and update is not a good resource to rely on.

In 18 years the only auto detect and update software I've seen work was in Windows XP after service pack 2. 

0 Likes