cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

VonWeasel
Adept I

AMD chipset update bricked my pc

I have a rather baffling issue that nobody has been able to solve so far.

I built a new PC with a Aourus x670e Pro X motherboard and Ryzen 9 7950x3D.

The PC has been wonderful, running flawlessly for about a week.

Yesterday I went to https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html and downloaded the chipset installer.

Ran it, install successful, reboot now, and bricked....

PC will not boot, it won't even get to the point where the keyboard turns on. The CPU light on the motherboard flashes red for a second, but then the DRAM light comes on red and stays that way.

I do not believe it is a ram issue, but I took both sticks out and tried them individually in all 4 slots. I don't see how an AMD driver update would kill my ram though.

I tried CMOS reset on the motherboard, no dice.

I tried removing all the parts and flashing the bios to the latest from gigabyte's website. I assume it worked correctly because the orange light blinked a couple times then stayed on for a minute or 2 before it turned itself off.

Put the CPU and ram back in and same issue.

I think the driver update somehow changed the firmware on the CPU itself and that's what broke it?

I'm at a loss for what to do at this point besides try to get a replacement CPU.

0 Likes
1 Solution
VonWeasel
Adept I

Well, in the end it was the RAM that fried itself. Possibly an issue with XMP being enabled in the bios. I have new sticks with XMP off and it's booting again

Regardless I'm still wary of AMD chipset drivers so I won't try to install them again haha

View solution in original post

6 Replies

I feel your pain but a chipset driver is not going to brick your system usually how the Bios system works depending on the vendor is during start up the motherboard will scan your hardware and if there is no problems it will go to boot part of the system however since you explained it does not get to the booting part of the operation which would use the chipset code during boot we know that its likely something is going on with your hardware so I suggest you completely pull all the modules Ram processor and GPU and reseat them checking all your power cords and that they are properly installed also can you please show a list of all your hardware including the power supply thank you

Adam J Martin
VonWeasel
Adept I

Here's the part list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/H6HL89

As I explained the PC was 100% in perfect working order for a week. I did not bump or drop it. There were no earthquakes to loosen any cables.

I rebooted it several times with no issues whatsoever. Then I install the AMD chipset drivers and restart and now it fails to boot. I don't see how it could have been anything else that caused this issue.

I already took the whole board apart, GPU, RAM, CPU out. Unplugged almost everything and tried to flash the bios with a memory card with the latest bios. Put everything back in and it still fails to boot.

I already tried taking each stick of ram individually and putting them in one at a time in each slot.

But, again, I don't know why installing AMD drivers would destroy my ram. After it had been working flawlessly for a week with no physical altercations to knock them loose.

0 Likes
MikeSis
Journeyman III

How long do you wait after pressing the power button? 
Some motherboards need as long as 5 minutes to complete the memory training process. 
Also, make sure that both RAM modules are properly installed. I mean press them very well so they snap into place. 

0 Likes
VonWeasel
Adept I

Well, in the end it was the RAM that fried itself. Possibly an issue with XMP being enabled in the bios. I have new sticks with XMP off and it's booting again

Regardless I'm still wary of AMD chipset drivers so I won't try to install them again haha

Glad to hear you solved the issue and that sucks when ram modules go bad, I know I've had my share of them but in the end you fixed them that's what's important.

Adam J Martin
0 Likes

its amazing how many systems I'm coming across that have faulty ram!!!

Adam J Martin
0 Likes