cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Draxirch
Miniboss

AMD Bug Reporting for KINGDOM HEARTS

Lets all post the crash bugs in this thread. I will break them down by game.

Further more I have reported several of these via the bug reporting tool. I have come to the conclusion that there are no consistent work arounds for these issues and must be addressed by AMD themselves. The issue lies in Direct X12 as certain games that run DX12 are having issues.

Across all games = Change resolution settings midgame = Crash

Kingdom Hearts FINAL MIX

Playing at a resolution above 720p results in a crash if you skip the cutscene before destiny Islands. If you put refresh rate on you will crash if you pause and unpause the game.

Kingdom Hearts Rechain of Memories

Playing at a resolution above 720p results in more crashes. Locking fps to 60 or 120 results in a crash if you try to battle any heartless on the map. If you try to save after exiting and entering a room you will usually crash.

Kingdom Hearts II FINAL MIX

Playing at a resolution above 720p can cause crashing more frequently. If you choose to watch cutscenes for your playthrough you will crash on the cutscene where Namine first meets Roxas, but you will also crash on the cutscene where Kairi and Selphie are talking about Sora and Riku. I also crash when pausing and unpausing at times. You will run into a crash simply by entering and exiting a train in Twilight Town.

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep FINAL MIX

Playing at a resolution above 720p can cause crashing more frequently. The tutorial is liable to crash without putting refresh rate on. Without Refresh Rate on the game is a stuttery unplayable mess.

Send as many bug reports to AMD via the Bug Report Tool, it's high time these crashes were addressed! It us unacceptable how unstable this is on AMD Radeon RX7000 series GPUs.

What's the point of fixes if you ignore the other issues that are being reported?

126 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It is a bit silly that this has been a thing for so long.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

I wonder if we can transfer save files from the Epic version? I'm imagining yes. 

If the Steam version works I will re-buy them as well.  Sad part is, I had just gotten all 3 collections on sale on the Epic store a couple of weeks ago, and I fully expect them to release at full price on Steam.  Here's to hoping 3rd party key resellers will have them cheaper but time will tell.

I also have a ROG ally that I enjoy using, thankfully my main PC is an Nividia machine but these games are just so much more fun to play in handheld mode.

0 Likes

Fingers crossed the steam version makes them playable 

Fingers crossed, friends.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

I will report with my findings once I buy them in 10 days time.

I hope it does too, but it's still messed up for all of us out there who already purchased this game on Epic only to not be able to play as intended, to then have to go REPURCHASE again on Steam. If AMD isn't releasing a fix for it, you'd think Square Enix could go release a patch for the Epic Store version that allows a toggle for DX11 (assuming this fixes the issue). Square Enix is supposedly focusing on this multi-platform approach now to stop bleeding money from PS exclusive releases, they'd probably make a lot of people happy who own this game already by making it work properly on the original platform they released on instead of forcing all AMD 7000 series users to go re-buy it on Steam.

0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

Official steam requirements from Square Enix.

kingdom-hearts-1.png

Gives us hope! This confirms Direct X11 AND no online DRM.

luckily with steam you can return within the 2 hour window. so if it goes crash and burn, you won't have wasted your money 

0 Likes

That's true I had forgotten about that!

0 Likes
delita1
Adept I

I was testing some things out and for whatever reason (knock on wood) I'm not getting crashing in KH2 Final Mix. In KH1 I was getting lots of random crashing (if I skipped any cut scene it would immediately crash), and in Re:CoM, forget about it, horrendous. I played through both games on my RTX rig. I started playing KH2 and got to Olympus, figured I'd give it a shot on my Ally. Ported my save file over to the Ally and played last night for about 3 hours, low and behold, no crashing. Cutscenes, skipping cutsences, etc - didn't have a single crash.  Not sure about your early game experience, though. 

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This is good to see. The issues people are facing must be effecting less individuals than I originally thought. I do hope, for the others effected, this is fixed in 24.6.1

0 Likes
Draxirch
Miniboss

I regret to be the bringer of bad news, but the Epic Games version dropped the update and unfortunately it doesn't seem to fix the crashing issues on Asus Rog Ally,

My only hope, my only last hope, is the Steam version dropping in 3 hours.

Watching this thread with great interest. If it doesn't work then I guess we just leave bad reviews lol.

0 Likes

What did the patch change? texture update? What version was the update

0 Likes

other thing i wanted to know was do we get cloud saves or not? not having those on EGS has been a PITA for playing between devices. 

0 Likes

Fingers crossed, literally sitting with the game in my cart rn

0 Likes

There's already a developer post in the Steam community channel mentioning the GPU issue with the 7800/7900 XT. So, this means to me it's still present, but a developer has finally acknowledged it.

Draxirch
Miniboss

Will report back on the Steam versions on Rog Ally.

Apparently the 7000 XT/XTX no longer have issues.

Works great on the Steam Deck so far.

Draxirch
Miniboss

Testing it now on the Rog Ally.

Will report back with the verdict!

Bad news: It still crashes.

Alright AMD get on it.

Its clearly AMD at fault now!

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Is it fixed on this version?

0 Likes

No but it works flawlessly on the steam deck.

There's definitely something the game really hates with AMD GPU's.

Square Enix changed the way the Steam Deck reads the files for FMV's hence why it works.

0 Likes

Were you able to run with DX11?

No.

0 Likes
psxlover
Adept I

In https://steamcommunity.com/app/2552430/discussions/0/4326348922702286820/ there are reports that the issues have been fixed, but at the same time there is a "Known GPU issue" thread (https://steamcommunity.com/app/2552430/discussions/0/6364229748851733833/) by one of the developers talking about 7800 XT and 7900 XT.

Can anyone confirm if the random crashes are fixed, and perhaps the "Known issue" is in specific places instead of whenever you open the menu?

0 Likes

Can't speak for Steam specifically, but I've tested that Epic update and that didn't do anything about it. But it's great that under Steam they finally noticed that my rig is affected XD

delita1
Adept I

Sadly save files do not transfer over either.  I have tried everything I can think of (including using HxD to parse the data from my EGS save file into the Steam save file) - unsure of how to make it work at this time but hopefully someone else comes up with a solution for transferring save files. 

0 Likes

Can't you just paste the save file into the Steam data path? I get why it wouldn't work for KH3 with the exclusive keyblade and all, but the others? I mean, the save file locations should all be the same...

0 Likes

No. I've moved the files to the Steam pathway and renamed them to mirror the steam save (they have _WW at the end) and it doesn't work.

I've also attempted to try to c&p via a hex editor into the Steam file and that also didn't work. Each time it just comes back with "Corrupt Save File" and it deletes it completely. 

0 Likes

ok figured out how to import EGS save.

download Kingdom Save Editor (google is your friend)

Open then Export your EGS save file (it makes a .bin)

Open your Steam save file (you have to play long enough in the Steam game to save and itll create the file) - now hit Import and Import the .bin file you made with the EGS.

Now hit Save and save it in your Steam file, overwriting the existing save file.

Viola, should work flawlessly. Did for me with Kh2. 

0 Likes
zyotchatmajo
Journeyman III

Bump, same thing hapenning to me, I cant use the pause menu because I get a timeout error.

I have a 7900 xtx.

Draxirch
Miniboss

image3.png

This is a little bit of hope, they do know of the issues.

But will they fix it?

0 Likes

Well, it's talking about "timeline for a potential fix", so at least they are trying to?

0 Likes

Didn't working on rog ally + xg mobile 6850xt.
note please.

0 Likes

So what GPU you have one of the listed GPU's ?

0 Likes

The Rog Ally uses a Ryzen Z1 Extreme

780m Graphics, which would classify as being under AMD RADEON RX 7800 XT/XTX since it uses a modification of 7840.

So it classifies under them!

Yeah, maybe someone should tell them, that the issue extends over every FSR3/RX 7000 GPU. And I'm saying that although my GPU is already listed. Though, if it took them three hours to figure that out, I'm certain they'll figure it out as well.

0 Likes
dezzab
Adept I

the update nor the new chipset driver update made no change for me. still crashing in kh 2. just from moving from one part of town to another. 

and im on the 7700 XT

not even one that is listed...

0 Likes

It's probably not related to the chipset, however i wonder what is going on with so many games crashing, while other games are stable.

With The last of us part 1 in rare case i get gpu driver timeout and the game behaves as if their is a memory leak, however when i look at memory usage their is no memory leak, however recently i googled and read if drivers have a memory leak it will not be visible, you need a special app to diagnose that, and i know World of Warcraft for me behaves like memory leak is happening, but also The Last of us part 1 however the later one consistently crashes after 5 hours and 40 minutes, however it not always causes a driver timeout, and usually clears up when restarting the game, but when it causes a driver timeout it wont clear up you need to restart, suggesting their might be a memory leak with one of my drivers i just cannot figure out which one.

i know it isnt the chipset, though for months iv been regularly updating everything including bios to hope that something would have changed.

what makes this so crazy though is I can run more demanding games for a much longer period of time such as call of duty and cyberpunk with no crashes at all. and for a 14 year old rerelease you would think this kind of thing isn't even a problem.  

I get 5 minutes in to all of the above games and it just timeouts. nothing in event viewer to state the reason either, just application became unresponsive. 

when will they tell us whats going on.

0 Likes
macabeo
Journeyman III

Hello, mates!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm also having this crashing issues. I've got a Ryzen 7 5700X + AMD 7700XT. I actually bought the game on the Epic Games Store a couple of months ago, didn't have any problem at the beginning, but after 5-6h it started crashing (in the Tarzan island). I contacted the Epic's Support team, but they couldn't do anything about it and they sent me over the Square Enix platform which did nothing either. I've tried some online fixes that work for a couple of saves but it crashes eventually. For me, it almost always crashes at the saving menu so I just stopped playing becasue got bored of playing the same parts over and over again.

I hope this post gets to the right people, since I also really wanna play this games and I don't want to buy and old PS2 or some weird stuff to just play the game. Thank you for bringing this issue to their attention !

PD: In my case, it's the graphic drivers aswell because all of my other tabs closes and if I've got a youtube video playing it stops and becomes a completely green screen.

0 Likes