Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Brindille
Adept I

AMD Adrenaline Software Will Not Open When Launched with 23.9.2 and 23.9.3

Hello, 

Today I received my new 7800xt graphics card. I had an Nvidia 3070 previously. So I uninstalled Nvidia and all the other software from the company, with the DDU tool so as not to forget anything. I installed my new card and launched the installation of adrenalin version 23.9.1 the drivers are installed correctly since my resolution has changed and my second screen lights up with the desktop (proof that the installation was done correctly ) moreover the software is present in the taskbar but the software whose icon appears disappears once you click on it. Also impossible to launch the software. I tried to reinstall several times with version 23.9.2 but the problem persists and after 5 hours of trying to install my new graphics card I admit that I give up.

If you have a solution or a similar problem I am interested.

3 Solutions
Brindille
Adept I

Hello,

I solve my problem this weekend.

I reset windows and reinstall the 23.9.1 and it's work after that i download in the software the 23.9.2 and still working.

It's a bit hard but it work for me .

Have a good day

View solution in original post

zyxx
Adept II

Hey AMD: FYI the Bug isn't fixed.

Last working Adrenaline Version 23.9.1.

Your Adrenalin Frontend does not start.

Again no mention in Known Bugs section of 23.11.1 (same as 10.x and 9.x).

Please advice how to proceed, or are we supposed to go ahead and give team green a try?

brikulex
Adept I

I don't think that AMD is actually working on fixing this.

However I believe I have found something (at least something that works for me).

As always, I am not responsible for what you do, and if following my guide makes your computer explode, it's not my fault.

I am asking some of you who are affected by this bug and ever had Epic Games Launcher installed to try this:

1. Exit Epic Games Launcher if you have it open (right click it in the notification tray and click Exit)
  2. Open the folder %localappdata%\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved
  3. Rename the Logs folder to something like LogsBackup
  4. Try to open Radeon Software and hope it works

Please respond if it fixed your issue or not, or if you don't even have the EpicGamesLauncher folder.

If I find out it doesn't actually work and it was just a coincidence, I will edit this post to correct it.

Good Luck!

336 Replies
smashaxely
Journeyman III

Just did the epic fix and installed 23.11.1 Working now for me as well. WOW How did you find this???? AMD hire this guy stat!!!!!  @amd

How did I find this?

Well, I believed it was not a hardware issue, because when I created a completely new user account in Windows and logged in, Radeon Software worked without crashing. I also believed that the thing preventing it from opening wasn't in any folder that belongs to Radeon Software, since I used AMD Cleanup Utility which removes all AMD folders. So I was stuck for a while, because that meant it could be anything.

Then I found out about Process Monitor, which is a program that (among other things) monitors what files are accesed by which processes. So I looked at what Radeon Software was doing before it crashed, and found that it read Epic Launcher's logs. So i tried renaming the folder and to my surprise it worked.

So no, I am no master hacker, just a kid who wants his **bleep** software to work

McBoomPow
Adept I

Sick that it works for everyone

Jackal-F
Adept I

It worked for me too. Im very Happy

Babysix
Adept I

Now i hope that i had Epic games software So no help in here.

0 Likes

check if you have the folder, that's what other people are reporting

cwiggles
Elite

Well I don't have the issue and when I checked I do not have an EpicGamesLauncher in %localappdata% either which just validates your find even more.  Good work Sherlock

Now AMD need to address their code not to crash if there's an issue with a logfile being processed. 

Craig

zyxx
Adept II

I tried to edit in the solution found by brikulex, since my FYI Post is somehow marked as solution.

Unfortunately this forum does not allow to edit it.

@uxgdev @Matt_AMD please also mark the solution as solution:

https://community.amd.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/drivers-and-software-discussions/me...

Since there is no official documentation, please also list the directories this software is scanning on each startup.

yodamann
Adept II

pretty obvious that AMD didn't even bother troubleshooting this basic issue, really we have to depend on a wonderful end user has to debug and run something relatively basic like process monitor to figure out the issue??? glad its fixed for some, but I have lost confidence in AMD bug reporting. pretty crazy a 3rd party log folder causes the AMD process to fail. really bad coding if that is the case to have such a dependency.

omgnaro
Journeyman III

AMD you should be ashamed this bug has been going on for so long. I am no longer willing to recommend AMD to my freinds.

Since the company still has not fixed it, here is the fix

level 1
Alternative-Door-127
·
12 days ago
I don't belive that i'm writing this, but this solution from brikulex helped me with newest 23.11.1 driver for my 6800XT

"I don't think that AMD is actually working on fixing this.

However I believe I have found something (at least something that works for me).

As always, I am not responsible for what you do, and if following my guide makes your computer explode, it's not my fault.

I am asking some of you who are affected by this bug and ever had Epic Games Launcher installed to try this:

Exit Epic Games Launcher if you have it open (right click it in the notification tray and click Exit)

Open the folder %localappdata%\EpicGamesLauncher\Saved

Rename the Logs folder to something like LogsBackup

Try to open Radeon Software and hope it works

Please respond if it fixed your issue or not, or if you don't even have the EpicGamesLauncher folder.

If I find out it doesn't actually work and it was just a coincidence, I will edit this post to correct it.

Good Luck!"

Yes its that simple, change the name of one folder and it starts to work.

From the thread

"Seems like the person that found the issue thinks Adrenaline uses the log files from the game launchers in order to figure out what games you have installed, and something in one of the log files crashes that part of Adrenalin."

Soo yeah fix your **bleep** please. 

TamH70
Journeyman III

I have just reinstalled Windows 10, and installed the newest version of the AMD Adrenaline software, with NO Epic games folder anywhere near it, and the control panel for Adrenaline will still not launch. Not in normal mode, not in Administrator mode, nothing. Bupkiss! I am about to junk another WHQL (a laughably meaningless designation as the software is FAR from being any sort of "quality") and go back to the last one that did work. THREE driver releases ago.

I am running a brand-new Radeon RX 7800 XT which I bought with my own money, and I am regretting every single penny I spent on it. 

AMD needs to sort this problem out - it is disgraceful that a community member has had to come up with a solution that sorts problems out, not someone who's paid an extortionate amount of money to do their job and make a program that works,  and is inarguably failing to do so.

Oh, and before I forget, your HDMI audio drivers are rubbish too.

0 Likes
oni_k
Adept I

My amd doesnt pop up for start up nor when i search for the app. i can only right clock to see adrenaline but it wont open still. shows its running in the background. i uninstalled it and reinstalled with the previous update and that worked and it opened but i wasnt able to play any games due to an outdated driver. installed the updated driver and now it wont open up. funny because it was working just fine two hours ago until i tried to do a phone connect. 

0 Likes
oni_k
Adept I

Please fix soon AMD. Rx7600S 

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled and it ended up with an 22.2.1 driver and the application opened up just fine but I couldn’t run games. I like the freedom of being able to adjust my graphic quality and color quality at ease. With this not opening at after just having this laptop for only a week with no issues until this makes me rethink this decision of going all red. Adrenaline software doesn’t open up AT ALL. Task manager shows its running in the background but the application won’t open to where I can adjust graphics and color. Pretty frustrating. Been trying for almost 3 hours to figure this out. Please help fix asap

0 Likes
ReaPerX003
Journeyman III

So recently I got the issue where my AMD Adrenaline Edition software is not opening when clicking from the right mouse button. I searched YouTube and Reddit like you guys and got the default solutions where people were saying.

1. Task manager -> AMD External Event Client Manager-> Right click ( go to details) ->atiecxx.exe -> Right click ( End process tree)
2. %localappdata% -> AMD -> Delete the CN folder
3. Device Manager: Disable and Enable GPU Driver
4. Re-install the driver

But this solution is not working for me. I don't know why.

SO After searching for so long,. I tried this method:

1. Uninstall your current AMD software.
2. Download the official "amdcleanuputiliy.exe" from their website.
3. Go to safe mode and run amdcleanuputility.exe.
4. After finishing, go back to normal mode.
5. Install the latest version of AMD Adrenaline recommended by your GPU model and Problem should be solved

this worked for me. thanks so much for posting.

0 Likes
KlownsTrustNoOne
Journeyman III

If AMD wants to address this same issue caused from another source...

Steps to recreate the issue:

Using Steam to Launch TitanFall 2 which uses a crap EA games launcher (which barely worked with Nvidia software. EA game launcher always crashed a few times before it successfully launched.)  After a few tries game launched.   Changed to Full Screen mode, played and left the game with no visible issues.  Next day, couldn't launch the game again.  Other steam games would not launch in full screen mode.  Each game (with full screen enabled) got a D3D9 error.  managed to get other games to launch in -windowed mode. 

Symptom: Crashed Adrenaline and it would not restart.  Other steam games which previously worked would not launch in full screen mode.  

Not sure which step fixed the problem.

1) Reinstalled Adrenaline Software

2) Rename "Logs" file folder (to any name)..  C:\users\(username)\appdata\local\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\Logs

Guess I cant play Titanfall anymore.. 

0 Likes
TheLochster
Journeyman III

Just want to reply this issue started happening for me too today. Hopefully AMD can look into this. (Thanks for all the comments and suggestions from the community. Haven't had time to try all these different potential fixes yet. Although I feel like it should be fixed by AMD.)

0 Likes