cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Joe1981
Journeyman III

AMD 7800X3D CPU Running Hot in Windows but Cool in BIOS - Need Help!

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing some peculiar issues with my AMD 7800X3D CPU on an MSI Tomahawk B650 WiFi motherboard. At idle in the BIOS, the CPU temperature reads a comfortable 44°C. However, once I boot into Windows, it reports a concerning 81°C while still at idle.

Furthermore, when I play Starfield, despite running the game at 60fps on ultra settings in native 4K, my system reports only about 4% CPU load. This seems quite improbable given the game's demands.

Another anomaly is that the individual core temperatures are all significantly below the 81°C mark, which adds to my confusion.

My GPU is an AMD 7900 XTX, and it seems to be performing as expected.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue or can provide insights on why my CPU might be reading such high temperatures in Windows but not in the BIOS? And why are the individual cores showing much cooler temperatures compared to the overall CPU temp?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies
IloveAMD1
Adept I

У меня такая проблема возникла когда я воспользовался windows 11. Тогда я ещё не знал в чём причина высокой температуры. Но мне помогло лишь одно, это переустановка на windows 10.

Видимо это проблема с драйверами... 

С Ув. Х.А.А.
0 Likes
mkab123
Journeyman III

Hey Joe,

Did you ever find a solution for this problem? I am having the exact same issue with the exact same CPU/Mobo combo. I am also seeing low temps in BIOS but idle around 70c as soon as I launch windows.

0 Likes

Yes I did. AMD Support were very helpful. They had me uninstall MSI Centre then restart and it fixed it immediately. Give it a try and let us know if it works, if not I will give you the rest of the steps AMD suggested.

0 Likes

Hey, I had just stumbled upon that answer from a reddit post that was made a couple days ago, apparently he had the same issue and did the same fix. Was coming here to post the fix for you lol.

Appreciate it.

schldskjoirz
Adept III

It's a common issue with the 7000X3D and non-X3D processors. The automatic voltage management and automatic overclocking gives occasionally too much juice to the processor that is causing heating. Allegedly the latest AGESA firmware can fix that problem. The another problem with the processor series has been their bumpy bottom. Check your processor and make sure there are no bulging spots. If these aren't the issue, then check out the processor load and the running processes.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
• Minisforum um790 Pro • 65" TV (HDMI) • Sony 5.1 audio (toslink)
0 Likes