cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

AMD (23.11.1+) & OBS & DaVinci Resolve = problems

Hi everyone. Ever since upgrading my GPU drivers from 23.10.2 I have issues rendering videos using DaVinci Resolve.

Video recorded via OBS (H.265 HEVC encoder) playback fine in VLC, but whenever they're imported into DaVinci, the playback is 2x faster, audio is OK and video ends prematurely.

The solution to downgrade my drivers to ver. 23.10.2 doesn't work anymore - DaVinci doesn't recognize the GPU any longer, so I'm stuck with the newest ones.

Has anyone found a working solution for that? I've already submitted a bug report to AMD but don't expect them to fix it...

13 Replies
Cepshin
Journeyman III

I'm currently having the same issue. I recorded in the AMD HW HEVC encoder with MKV format. When watching in VLC player it runs at a smooth 60 fps. When I input the same clip into Davinci, it plays the video at 2 times speed and the audio at normal speed. I changed the timeline and the project settings to 1080p 60 and unfortunately it changed nothing. 

The problem gets more interesting when I remux my recording to MP4 via OBS. When I choose 60fps for all settings that are applicable in Davinci Resolve, it turns my media offline. I even downgraded my driver to the recommended one like the user above me said, but that had no effect sadly.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tried remuxing to MP4 via OBS, but my playback in DaVinci was still having issues. It wasn't 60 fps, more like 30, which isn't acceptable either. I think the last resort is to wait for a fix from AMD.

0 Likes

Yeah its looking that way, although to at least put a stop gap in I found a solution for you depending on your gpu. If you have the ability to, encode with the HW AV1. It seems to let me edit with davinci just fine for some odd reason. It sucks because I wanna stream with the AV1 and record with HEVC but for the time being I'll have to do it vice versa.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, that's not the option for me. There's also another workaround which is recording in HEVC + then using Handbrake to re-encode the clip, but that takes additional time, especially with longer clips

Still not resolved in 24.1.1!!!

chembot01
Journeyman III

I am having exactly the same issue, word for word. I thought it was bad file metadata from OBS causing Davinci to freak out. The video shows it's being played back at 60 fps, but it's obviously playing back at 2x speed while the audio plays at normal speed so they are out of sync. Then half way through the timeline the video ends but the video clip continues for the other half of the timeline with no video. The 23.10.2 driver was the last driver that didn't have this behavior, while the 24.1.1 driver does have this issue still.

You see in the patch notes AMD said:

• Various encoding support within AMD Software including AVC, HEVC and AV1 codecs have undergone additional optimizations to improve video encode quality.

Too bad they didn't look into the Davinci issue

Still not fixed in 24.2.1 - AMD please finally look into it!!

Alien1st
Journeyman III

Same issue having for several months now - only viable solution is to record AVC instead of HEVC

0 Likes

Is this really happening?

It seems that update 24.3.1...

resolved the issue!

DaVinci Resolve also had an update: 18.6.6

In OBS I set up the encoder to H.265 HEVC and the playback problem is no longer here. Enjoy!

0 Likes

That's good news. It makes me wonder if DaVinci update or AMD driver update fixed the issue, since driver notes did not mention this at all.

However, I don't really care as long as the issue is fixed as AV1 is pretty much unusable for encoding due to encoder problem that plagues RDNA3 gpus. Now I can fallback to HEVC again.

0 Likes

Not for me!

I'm also on Davinci 18.6.6, driver 24.3.1, OBS recording H.265 (HEVC), Rate Control set to CQP, CQ Level 20, Windows 11

In Davinci my video plays at twice the normal speed. The original recording looks and plays fine in media player classic HC. I'm still going to need to reencode in handbrake before I can use this footage in Davinci.

@hashtagDisappointed What is your encoder settings in OBS?

0 Likes

recording format -  mkv

video encoder -  HEVC

rate control - CQP

CQ level - 19

0 Likes