Mobo:  Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
BIOS ver. 3401
AGESA ver. 1202
Chipset: X570 ver. 2.13.27.501
AMD Ryzen balanced energy scheme aktivated
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X 16 cores
Monitors: 27" AORUS-FI27Q 2560x1440 and a Philips IPS 24" 1920x1080
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC
Adrenalin ver. 21.2.3 (newer versions don't work with AORUS-FI27Q see thread)
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB x2
Windows 10 Pro Ver. 20H2 19042.906

The latest BIOS update 3401 with Agesa 1202 doesn't address the issues with USB 3.0 ports once in a while get unconnected and then connected again.
The Agesa 1202 only fixed USB 2.0 as I read it, but I don't have any USB 2.0 ports on my mobo.
I can hear the annoying sound when some USB ports disconnect and then connect, even if I unplug USB devices except for keyboard+ mice and no problem with these. However this is only in the first minute after Windows initialization.
I can't see any problems in the Device manager either.

There are some other concerns to with Agesa 1202 it will complicit the behavior of the CPU, meaning it seems to be set to the lowest ranked of the CRX (group of 4 cores) and it will uses the lowest ranked CRX för single compute instead of the highest ranked CRX as I can see ´it. However not by much performance hit in my case.
I tried to clean the info in the event manager and restart, since this is the information reported by BIOS and used by Windows of which CRX to use for single core computing and it worked to previous Chipset/BIOS versions, but no avail now.
Luckily I'm not infected by this because I'm running undervolt and overvolt via hybrid OC profiles by  @1usmus excellent CTR s/w.

Best Regards From Sweden
Ps. I'm sorry for my poor english grammar.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Which Asus BIOS version did you install -

1- Non-BETA version 3402

2-BETA version 3501

If it was the BETA version I would downgrade to the last official Non-BETA version that fixes the USB connectivity issue version 3402.

The BIOS Fix should prevent the connectivity issue on all versions of USB not just version 2.0: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-issuing-usb-fix-for-ryzen-chips-bios-patch-coming-in-early-apr...

AMD Response to the USB Connectivity issue:

""We would like to thank the community here on r/AMD for its assistance with logs and reports as we investigated the intermittent USB connectivity you highlighted. With your help, we believe we have isolated the root cause and developed a solution that addresses a range of reported symptoms, including (but not limited to): USB port dropout, USB 2.0 audio crackling (e.g., DAC/AMP combos), and USB/PCIe Gen 4 exclusion.

AMD has prepared AGESA 1.2.0.2 to deploy this update, and we plan to distribute 1.2.0.2 to our motherboard partners for integration in about a week. Customers can expect downloadable BIOSes containing AGESA 1.2.0.2 to begin with beta updates in early April. The exact update schedule for your system will depend on the test and implementation schedule for your vendor and specific motherboard model. If you continue to experience intermittent USB connectivity issues after updating your system to AGESA 1.2.0.2, we encourage you to download the standalone AMD Bug Report Tool and open a ticket with AMD Customer Support."

You can open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Which Asus BIOS version did you install -

1- Non-BETA version 3402

2-BETA version 3501

If it was the BETA version I would downgrade to the last official Non-BETA version that fixes the USB connectivity issue version 3402.

The BIOS Fix should prevent the connectivity issue on all versions of USB not just version 2.0: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-issuing-usb-fix-for-ryzen-chips-bios-patch-coming-in-early-apr...

AMD Response to the USB Connectivity issue:

""We would like to thank the community here on r/AMD for its assistance with logs and reports as we investigated the intermittent USB connectivity you highlighted. With your help, we believe we have isolated the root cause and developed a solution that addresses a range of reported symptoms, including (but not limited to): USB port dropout, USB 2.0 audio crackling (e.g., DAC/AMP combos), and USB/PCIe Gen 4 exclusion.

AMD has prepared AGESA 1.2.0.2 to deploy this update, and we plan to distribute 1.2.0.2 to our motherboard partners for integration in about a week. Customers can expect downloadable BIOSes containing AGESA 1.2.0.2 to begin with beta updates in early April. The exact update schedule for your system will depend on the test and implementation schedule for your vendor and specific motherboard model. If you continue to experience intermittent USB connectivity issues after updating your system to AGESA 1.2.0.2, we encourage you to download the standalone AMD Bug Report Tool and open a ticket with AMD Customer Support."

You can open a AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Thanks.

I have now installed BIOS ver 3501 with Agesa V2 PI 1.2.0.2

Release info:
- Fix USB connectivity issue
Please note that this is a beta BIOS version of the motherboard which is still undergoing final testing before its official release.

Another thing: The CRX ranking is working, meaning the hightest ranked CRX will be used on a single core compute - again
 Buoy, thanks again!

0 Likes

Generally I don't recommend BETA BIOS due to the fact it isn't official and it may be buggy. But if your PC is running fine with the BETA BIOS then good to know.

Did it finally fix your USB connectivity issue or you haven't had the BIOS installed long enough to see if it is fixed or not.

I do know that when I chatted with Asus Support the Tech mentioned not to install the BETA version for the reasons I stated above.

Anyways, glad to hear it is working fine again plus it lets other Asus Users that the BETA version is working without any issues so far on your PC.

"Generally I don't recommend BETA BIOS due to the fact it isn't official and it may be buggy."
"Did it finally fix your USB connectivity issue or you haven't had the BIOS installed long enough to see if it is fixed or not."

Of course not, but I have tried every way: booting, restarting, running 3DMark benchmark etc. even checked the CRX ranking due to its single core uses, to try to get the same things or issues as before - No problem.

This BIOS ver. 3501 with its Agesa V2 PI 1.2.0.2  is really working!
Well for now anyway...
I'm happy.

Best Regards from Sweden