cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

blade888
Adept I

Adrenalin Driver 24.3.1 causing Windows BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

After Updating to Adrenalin Driver 24.3.1 my PC consistently gets a Blue Screen error of DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE after 1-2 mins after a fresh boot up and my machine reboots.

It will work fine on the second boot. But if I shutdown and booted again, it will crash with the same error again and then have to wait for a second reboot for it to be usable.

Minidump logs show that the driver is not responding to power state requests on every second boot.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time
Arg2: ffffc58dad4bcd50, Physical Device Object of the stack
Arg3: fffff00c222e7178, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
Arg4: ffffc58db84874e0, The blocked IRP

The Cultprit driver is the AMD image ACPI driver:

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x9F_3_amdi2c_DEV_AMDI0010_IMAGE_ACPI.sys

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

When I uninstall Adrenaline Drivers and use DDU to clean up, I get no more Blue Screen errors. 

Machine:

• AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
  • Asus ROG x670E Crosshair Hero
  • 32GB DDR5-6000 Kingston Fury RAM
  • AMD Reference Card 7900XTX
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • Corsair Keyboard/Mouse with iCue
  • Armory Crate Installed

Things Tried:

1. BIOS Update to 1905
  2. Chipset Driver Updated and Versions tried:
    1. v5.11.02.217
    2. v6.02.07.2300
  3. Armory Crate Update to latest ver
  4. Armory Crate Uninstalled
  5. iCue Repair install and updated
  6. iCue uninstalled
  7. Uninstalled Adrenaline Drivers (*Fixed the BSODs! But no Graphics drivers*)

Using older versions of the drivers is a non-option as they are unstable for games such as Helldivers 2.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Any AMD Devs know about this or have a fix?

0 Likes
1 Solution
blade888
Adept I

Update - 

The BIOS update didn't solve the issue but it uncovered the road to lead to the issue!

Another Fresh install of Win 11 to be doubly sure of things and found that in the process of updating, rolling back and updating my BIOS a few times as part of troubleshooting that the default setting of auto installing ASUS Armory Crate had turned on sneaking in my fresh windows install.

Root Cause Found

After a couple of more wipes/installs to be sure I can now confirm that in my case it was an incompatibility between drivers and tools: ASUS Armory Crate Versions 5.8.9.0, 5.8.9.5 installed with AMD Chipset Drivers 5.08.02.027 through to 6.03.19.217 and Adrenilane 24.3.1 or later are the root cause of Windows Blue Screen

0x9F_3_amdi2c_DEV_AMDI0010_IMAGE_ACPI.sys

It would seem ASUS Armory Crate 5.8.9.0/5.8.9.5 is not compatible with the latest AMD chipset and Adrenilane software suite. I suspect either they are conflicting with trying to monitor or take control of a driver at the same time on boot and time the driver out.

I also confirmed this with my Partner's PC which runs the same CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. You will need to either downgrade the drivers or Armory Crate to a version from last year to have it function.

Otherwise get rid of AC, You can either do a clean windows install or can remove it all cleanly by:

1. Using the ASUS Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool located here under "Show All" Tool https://www.asus.com/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk_download/ 

2. It will then leave behind 3-4 ASUS services which are fine to remove manually.

a. ASUSFCNotification - Fast Charge Notification - Simply remove via Add/Remove Progs

b. AsusUpdateCheck - Stop the service, remove the service from the registry via regdit

c. Asus Com Service - Stop the service, remove the service from the registry via regdit

Then clean up anything remaining in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS.

My PC has not crashed due to this error since this after 30+ reboots/restarts over the past 5 days.

I made my Fan curves in the BIOS, and now have my RGB controlled by SignalRGB without issue.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
PurpleHeart
Journeyman III

Same, I am going crazy right now over issues with stuttering, losing 1000 points in Cinebench and stuttering in games from KB5035853 so I uninstalled that, was better but still existed. Went from 24.3.1 to 24.2.1 and fixed it.

did some testing and went back to 24.3.1, minor stuttering but still worse than before. Around the same time, the "fix" for KB5035853 came out and I uninstalled that. Still had bad performance.
Still only  17100 in R23 even after using Asus's x3d profile, which my other motherboard ASRock B650M Pro RS Wifi I was able to get 18400 points with PBO -20 undervolt.

(blue screens have been happening since fresh install with X670E-E board)

I've gone through multiple different versions of windows figuring out what is causing the bad performance in the first place, and what is causing the blue screens.
Sometimes I'm able to play a game (Team Fortress 2 with a friend for an hour) and it was fine, other times it's within minutes and it blue screens.
I can tell it's about to happen due to connecting a drive and it doesn't show up in file explorer, or I attempt to open up the windows settings menu and it does nothing, or I open up the sound panel and it does nothing.

Driver_Power_State_Failure

7800x3d

Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E 1905

2X24GB 7200 CL36 G.Skill

Reference 7900xtx

Samsung 990 Pro 2TB (Latest firmware as of January I think)

10 IoT LTSC, 10 Pro 22H2, 11 Pro 23H2

Since OP mentioned the latest driver has issues like I do, I'll try one version back.

0 Likes

Update-

I manually installed the ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E drivers from their support website excluding armory crate software and used 24.2.1 and so far it's been a few hours and no issues on 10 IoT LTSC.

I suspect it's Armory crate itself interfering with something.

0 Likes

Yes I tried uninstalling Armory Crate and unfortunately the issue still persisted in my case. 

However in other cases I have found online including yous that does help.

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

I may have a solution to my specific case which was a curve ball in light of minidump and error source as posted above.

I found I was also getting a warning in my system logs as below:

The embedded controller (EC) returned data when none was requested. The BIOS might be trying to access the EC without synchronizing with the operating system. This data will be ignored. No further action is necessary; however, you should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS.

This in combination on googling Keywords "Asus X670E Cold Boot BSOD Crash Stability Issues" I came across a post in the ASUS ROG Support Forums implying the Intel Ethernet Controller i225v driver may be conflicting: https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/x670e-e-cold-boot-stability-issues/td-p/896168

I installed the latest Intel Ethernet Drivers here from their offical website rather than the ones from Asus/Armory Crate: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/184676/intel-ethernet-controller-i225v/download...

3x Cold boots later over the past 2 days and I have yet to encounter another Blue Screen Crash. Fingers Crossed it holds up and keeps stable at time progresses!  

If this truly fixes it, it may seem that the latest Adrenalin Drivers (24.3.1) along side the Intel Ethernet driver coming from Asus/Armory Crate (2.1.3.3) are conflicting with each other for a power state driver delay on cold boot causing the Blue Screen.

Will report back in coming days/weeks if it's still all ok. It's a weird one!

I hope this helps others as a step to try!

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Update: 

Unfortunately crashed once this morning after a windows update reboot. It booted up post windows update, stayed on for about 2 minutes idling on desktop then same Blue Screen Error. 

Shut it down, left off with no power and until fully cold, booted back up and seems fine again no Blue Screen.

Very intermittent. 

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Update to symptoms.

Found that it can happen on warm restarts now too. 

Found a way to reproduce it a bit more consistently by logging in and letting the PC idle on desktop for 2 and a half mins or so without touching anything. Then the BSOD happens. This will make trouble shooting a little more easier to pinpoint.

0 Likes
PurpleHeart
Journeyman III

So I think I found a fix.

I think it was caused by seriously outdated drivers. If I installed drivers manually without armory crate, it worked fine.

I'm on 10 IoT LTSC now with Armory Crate and after it installed it's drivers, I went to the asus website and downloaded the latest as well as using 24.3.1 adrenaline drivers.

It's been 2-3 days now and 0 issues.

I think this was caused by Armory crate shipping some update while having embarrassingly old driver versions that caused the blue screens.

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Update with mine:

Unfortunately I tried every possible thing software wise and ended up wiping with a clean install of Windows 11. Installed latest Chipset Drivers and Adrenalin Drivers and as soon as those were loaded, BSOD 0x9f

Still on this

AMD I2C Controller Service

It crashed 7 times in a row trying to boot past the first 2mins of Windows usage yesterday. Once it's up it's fine and will last the whole day without a crash doing anything and everything thrown at it. Restart it manually once, and it's a roll of the dice, BSOD another 4 times until I could get it stable. So not hardware heat related as it happens hot or cold.

One thing I do notice, is that if HWInfo won't load when I try to open it after logging in, the BSOD crash is 100% pending on that specific reboot attempt within 90-120 seconds. HIInfo may be the cause? It's not running on startup but maybe a driver it puts in is conflicting? Uninstalled HWinfo to see if it'll make a difference.

I've pretty much given up now if this doesn't do it. and looking at buying an Intel and NVIDIA CPU/MOBO/RAM/GPU to replace this as it's been 14 days of constant troubleshooting.

Bitterly dissapointed AMD.

please update on how it goes, ive been having the same problem for about a month. clean wiped my pc, at first i thought it was one of my hard drives or ssds being corrupted, but it seems like it is a driver issue, WhoCrashed says the same thing, either memory corruption or faulty drivers. although i dont think its HWInfo, since my pc crashes even after ive formated. i think its something from andrenaline. 

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Update Next day:

Crashed 3 times in a row. Not HWinfo I didn't think so either cause it crashed without it during the Windows and physical rebuild/re-seat.

Never in my 25 years of IT Engineering have I come across such an elusive unsolveable issue. Individually the parts test okay with memtests, cpu tests, furmark etc just this weird driver error on start up and the machine can run days without a BSOD doing production/gaming/general work once booted without a 0x9f BSOD.

New ASUS BIOS is out v2007 and will try updaitng to this to see if the latest drivers don't like v1905 and v1807. Will update if crashes.

0 Likes
blade888
Adept I

Update - 

The BIOS update didn't solve the issue but it uncovered the road to lead to the issue!

Another Fresh install of Win 11 to be doubly sure of things and found that in the process of updating, rolling back and updating my BIOS a few times as part of troubleshooting that the default setting of auto installing ASUS Armory Crate had turned on sneaking in my fresh windows install.

Root Cause Found

After a couple of more wipes/installs to be sure I can now confirm that in my case it was an incompatibility between drivers and tools: ASUS Armory Crate Versions 5.8.9.0, 5.8.9.5 installed with AMD Chipset Drivers 5.08.02.027 through to 6.03.19.217 and Adrenilane 24.3.1 or later are the root cause of Windows Blue Screen

It would seem ASUS Armory Crate 5.8.9.0/5.8.9.5 is not compatible with the latest AMD chipset and Adrenilane software suite. I suspect either they are conflicting with trying to monitor or take control of a driver at the same time on boot and time the driver out.

I also confirmed this with my Partner's PC which runs the same CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. You will need to either downgrade the drivers or Armory Crate to a version from last year to have it function.

Otherwise get rid of AC, You can either do a clean windows install or can remove it all cleanly by:

1. Using the ASUS Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool located here under "Show All" Tool https://www.asus.com/supportonly/armoury%20crate/helpdesk_download/ 

2. It will then leave behind 3-4 ASUS services which are fine to remove manually.

a. ASUSFCNotification - Fast Charge Notification - Simply remove via Add/Remove Progs

b. AsusUpdateCheck - Stop the service, remove the service from the registry via regdit

c. Asus Com Service - Stop the service, remove the service from the registry via regdit

Then clean up anything remaining in C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS.

My PC has not crashed due to this error since this after 30+ reboots/restarts over the past 5 days.

I made my Fan curves in the BIOS, and now have my RGB controlled by SignalRGB without issue.

0 Likes