cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

colesdav
MVP

Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Auto Overclock GPU causes Black Screen, Audio Buzz, System Hang.

System.

CPU i7-4790K running with stable + 15% OC.

Motherboard: Asus Z97 Deluxe.
GPU 1: Palit RTX2080 OC running HDMI display.

GPU2: XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid running Display Port Display.
RAM: 32 GB Crucial LP Ballistix Tactical running at 1600. 
Windows 10 64 bit. Checks clean.

Problem Statement.
(1). I set up to run only the RX Vega 64 Liquid display output via display port.
No Nvidia GeForce Experience or Control Panel Running.

Killed all non essential background programs. Adrenalin 2019 was installed using DDU in safe mode with no internet connection.
Enabled Wattman overclocking. In balanced mode.

Click on automatic overclocking.

Instantly the display screen goes black. Keyboard lights out. Numlock unresponsive. System freeze.
Power button will not turn the PC off.

Had to hard reset the PC which then resulted in having to run disk checks on the OS Drive before I can even boot into Windows 10 again.

I have been able to repeat this error multiple times now.

If I swap over to the RTX 2080 OC as the only card running at Boot it comes with a tool called Thunder Master which allows automatic overclocking of the RTX2080 OC.

That automatic overclock tool runs fine and gives me an additional stable +3% OC on the RTX 2080OC.

26 Replies
colesdav
MVP

Re: Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Auto Overclock GPU causes Black Screen, Audio Buzz, System Hang.

Submitted:

AMD Issue Reporting Form

Also should point out.

Auto undervolting doesn't seem to do anything other than set the voltages to default for the mode (Balanced, Power Saver, Turbo,...

Auto Memory overclock does seem to do something. It sets Mem frquency from 945 to 1080MHz in Turbo mode, for example. I was running at 1100 anyhow, with a 25 mv undervolt on memory.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Re: Adrenalin 2019 18.12.2 Auto Overclock GPU causes Black Screen, Audio Buzz, System Hang.

I updated to Adrenalin 18.12.3 via incremental update.
I tried the Automatic Overclocking Feature from Balanced Mode with XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid.

Here is what happened.

(1). Black Screen, faint audio buzz.

(2). System hang.

(3). Power Button unresponsive.

(4). I had to press hard reset on my PC.
(5). Windows 10 64bit would attempt to reboot but thjen immediatly black screen and system freeze after birefly showing the Windows 10 login screen - so it looks like the 'Auto Overclock' was applied.

(6). I had to press hard reset on my PC.
(7). I tried to boot into safe mode by holding F8 on reboot - but failed. These days only reliable way to get into safe mode is get into Windows 10 OS in first place. Even Windows 10 recovery disks don't help.

(8). This time safe mode was not entered, Windows 10 64 bit attempted to start and then I had VGA Err LED flash up on the Asus Z97 Motherboard for GPU 1. Thgis
(7). I removed both the Primary RTX 2080 GPU1  and the Secondary XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid GPU2 from the PC.
(8). I was unable to get the PC to boot at all.
(9). I reflashed the Motherboard Bios.

(10). I booted into another emergency backup copy of Windows and then ran windows disck checks on the original Windows 10 installation.

(11). I booted into the original Windows 10 installation, using the intel iGPU to display output.
(12). I uninstalled AMD Driver by removing internet connection and booting into Safe Mode from Windows 10. I will reinstall the Nvidia and AMD GPU's next.

After this I suggest AMD remove this Auto Overclocking feature until it is safe to use. It is clearly completely broken if it is causing issues like this.

Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Quick Video from smart phone showing what happens when I apply AMD Adrenalin 2019 version 18.12.3 Automatic Overclock from Balanced mode on RX Vega 64 Liquid shown here: AMD Adrenalin 2019 18.12.3 Automatic Overclock on RX Vega 64 Liquid = Black Screen & System hang. - ...

I am lucky I got my Windows 10 64 bit OS back in this instance. I had to reflash Motherboard BIOS as well in this case. I do not want to repeat this test again until AMD fix it. I think you should pull automatic GPU overclocking feature from the drivers for RX Vega 64 Liquid it is so bad.
Thanks.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

So Automatic Overclocking was mentioned here: AMD CEO Lisa Su's 2019 CES Keynote - YouTube

Any Idea when it will work / be fixed or  does it only work on Radeon VII?

Thanks

0 Likes
eltheodelagente
Adept I

I have the same problem. Or at least very similar.
After reading several forums I come to the conclusion that the problem of most users is the automatic oc.
In my case I do not have the option "Wattman", only "OverDrive" and I do not know enough to configure it. I am using the latest version but I have used several, current and old, and I always get the same result: "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" and "the access to the graphic hardware application has been blocked" just open the browser, using chrome or other. If I play a YouTube video or if I just open another tab, I get those messages, or a black screen that never comes back. I guess i need to try to disable that auto oc somehow, i don't know. I checked my mems, my graphic card, my S.O... Everthing. It has to be adrenalin.
WIN 10 x64/Asus M5A97 R2.0/AMD Radeon HD 7750/16 GB ram.

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

There is no auto overclock function for your older card model. It is not included in the drivers.

Suggest you bump your original thread post to get it seen again.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
colesdav
MVP

The Auto Overclocking function I discuss is new feature in Adrenalin 2019 and it is not supported on all AMD GPU's.
It is crashing badly on a brand new RX Vega 64 Liquid which has only been used for about 3 weeks since purchase. 

It is available in Wattman for RX Vega 64 but it is not available in Wattman on R9 Fury X/Fury/Nano cards for example. 
AMD Wattman is not available on R9 280x 3GB  and HD7970 6GB/3GB cards, just AMD Overdrive. I do not think Wattman is available on the HD7750.

If you get problems if you change the AMD Overdrive settings from default, then set the AMD Overdrive settings back to default. 
It can be easy to get GPU crashing if you increase GPU or GPU Memory Clocks too high on your particular GPU, especially on an older GPU if it has not been stripped down, properly cleaned and had new thermal paste and thermal pads applied.

eltheodelagente
Adept I

Hello and thanks for reply.

Maybe i expressed myself badly. I thought the problem could be some kind of auto OC but now i know that my GPU is old and does not have that function. 
So, i did a low level format and erasedall of my ssd with Hiren boot 15.2. Then i installed, again, windows 10 PRO. After configuring everything i tried to watch a video on youtube and BOOM, black screen. win10 installed amd radeon adrenalin 2017. With the last version of adrenalin 2019 i get the "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" messenge and then black screen. If i uninstall amd drivers everything work normal but, of course, i can't use all the privileges that a GPU gives you.
I'm really out of ideas. I'm starting to think that maybe it's a hardware problem. I cleaned the GPU, i changed the thermal paste. No capacitor is bloated. I should try it on another pc to get rid of the doubt. 

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

RE: Win10 installed amd radeon adrenalin 2017 - Which version ? 17.71 or 17.7.2?

How did you proceed to install Adrenalin 2019?

If you simply used the downloaded AMD Adrenalin 2019 installer and ran it whislt connected to the internet to install the new driver that may be your problem.

Try this:

First of all download the latest versions on DDU and Adrenalin 2019 driver for your GPU. Then disconnect from the internet completely. Turn off router. Disable Wifi. Remove ethernet Cable.

Then use DDU (wagnardsoft.com) in Windows 10 safe mode to remove the 'Windows 10 installed AMD adrenalin 2017". Remove any traces of Nvidia drivers as well., then boot into Windows 10 in normal mode, still disconnected from the internet, then install the test Adrenalin 2019. Then and only then connect to the internet.

Does the driver still crash?   

Thanks.