cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Maaks42
Journeyman III

7950x3d crash memory issues

Hello, idk if its the right server to ask this, but im having serious memory instability on my 7950x3d and ive tried everything so idk what to do anymore. I have 64gb  corsair ddr5 6400 cl 32 4x16, x670e-f strix, rtx 4080. I cant even be stable when i boot with 4sticks at 3600. Like some games just freeze or micro stutters or even straight up crash. When i use 2 sticks, i am stable even with expo. But when i use 4 sticks nothing gets it stable. Ive even reinstalled windows and everything.

0 Likes
6 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, there is a lot to process here but I'll try to explain.

What is the purpose of the PC? Gaming only, a mixed workload of content creation with gaming on the side? 

This is important because if you are looking for games only, there is little to gain from 64Gb VS 32Gb. On the other hand, memory speed plus lower latency will give you the best results.

Just browse youtube comparisons for that.

Next:

If you can boot at 3600, then everything is "kinda" OK because according to the 7950X3D page, thats the supported speed for your memory configuration.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d

Of course, maybe you can squeeze up to 5200 to 5600 but its not a sure thing, you'll have to tweak around. Also make sure the memory is on the boards QVL. 

If you planned using 4 sticks from the start, then 6400 MT memory sticks is a risky and expensive move.

Are you using Memory Context Restore enabled or disabled?

Good Luck

The Englishman

i am using 2 kits of 2x16 6400mhz, i know i cant run it at that speed and not trying to. But even at 3600 its not really stable

And i have memory context restore on default settings

0 Likes

You shoud disable it for added stability and relax the timings.

If you bought 2x kits and the QVL states that you can't populate all four with that kit, you are a bit out of luck.

You should see something like 1,2,4 in the socket support QVL.

But I would return it if its still in the return window, Amazon do have those 30 days (example).

=or= 

If you can't return it, cut the losses sell one kit and use just 32Gb, with a bit of luck you may get 6400 or at least 6000 and game much better than with 64Gb

johnnyenglish_0-1709551001320.png

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes

i am using 2 kits of 2x16 6400mhz, i know i cant run it at that speed and not trying to. But even at 3600 its not really stable. Micro stutters and everything is up to date, chipset drivers, bios. Windows fresh install

And i have memory context restore on default settings

And i use this system mainly for gaming and coding

0 Likes

You'll probably have to manually relax timings to get both kits to work together.

If you must have 64GB of memory and want something tested working out of the box, here's a Corsair 2x32GB kit on your QVL - CMT64GX5M2B6000C40

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

Did you buy a 4x16GB kit or two 2x16GB kits? In other words, has Corsair sold this memory as supporting 6400 speed in a 4x configuration?

Have you checked the ASUS memory QVL as @johnnyenglish mentions for your board? Here is the link.

Finally I would add that using a 4x memory configuration will almost always result in lower speed capability than using a 2x configuration. Again, as @johnnyenglish refers to this spec clearly spelled out on the processor page. You would be better off buying a higher capacity, dual-rank 2x DIMM kit.

FunkZ_0-1709478757342.png

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT