cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bogwell
Adept I

7900XTX VR Issues

It looks like 7900XTX VR performance is very poor compared to competition. Just upgraded from RTX 3070 and regretting not getting a 4080. It looks like team green are a much better option for VR. Better support, better framerates.

Currently Oculus Link doesn't work, glitchy and disorientating distortion on visuals. Framerates on games are barely better...and sometimes worse than my 3070!

What a disappointment. I now remember why I left team red a decade ago. Team green just finish products better.

Does this have any priority for fixing? Should I wait for a driver update or should I cut my losses?

10 Replies
PEAR21
Journeyman III

Unfortunatelly I have exactly the same issue with my new 7900XTX

I get in Assetto Corsa only 36 FPS instead of 72 and CPU and GPU are fully overloaded by approx. 120% instead of 80-90% workload with my RTX 3070 before -.- SteamVR even more worse with 190% workload.

Just to keep in touch with this. Some of the worst stuttering issues, which were game breaking, were solved by forcefully removing old Nvidia drivers. I had to use an invasive driver cleaner to get rid of them as traditional windows 'uninstaller' didn't work. However, whilst most VR content is now playable. The frametimes are still disproportionately low compared to its flat game performance and well behind Nvidia 4080 benchmarks by about %30. There is definitely VR performance left on the table by this card. I hope they can make some driver changes that show the potential of this card for VR enthusiasts.

Baltrumas
Journeyman III

I have the same issues. VR is worse than with my 2070 Super. Extremely stuttery and no video players work correctly. Seriously disappointed in this card vr performance.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

To those who are having VR issues I suggest going into Adrenaline and using the bug report tool to report and show screenshots of the performance issues as well as describing all the issues you have to the best of your ability. This is really the only way the dev teams for the drivers actually get good information. Evidence of the issues and information related to them are key to improving the experience.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Just to keep in touch with this. Some of the worst stuttering issues, which were game breaking, were solved by forcefully removing old Nvidia drivers. I had to use an invasive driver cleaner to get rid of them as traditional windows 'uninstaller' didn't work. However, whilst most VR content is now playable. The frametimes are still disproportionately low compared to its flat game performance and well behind Nvidia 4080 benchmarks by about %30. There is definitely VR performance left on the table by this card. I hope they can make some driver changes that show the potential of this card for VR enthusiasts.

bogwell
Adept I

Very encouraging to see that VR performance is called out as a 'Known Issue' in the latest driver release. This tells me that not only is it fixable but they are actively looking at it. Great news for us VR enthusiasts. Nice on AMD and happy Christmas.

Quote:

• Some virtual reality games or apps may experience lower-than-expected performance.
blkspade
Journeyman III

This is such disappointing news. Mostly all I'm after is better VR performance than my 6800XT, without having to get massive GPU to do it. Since the 3080 10GB  was just as bad, but the 3090 was so much better I assumed anything better than a 3090 would be a sure thing with some headroom. If this isn't fixed by the time I'm ready to buy a GPU in a couple months, then the 6800XT will be my last AMD GPU for a while. I really hate the idea of giving Nvidia $1600, but oh well.

0 Likes
eijmert
Journeyman III

ah my Valve index didnt start at all.
just refused to give any display output.

switched to a 4080, they are nearly the same price in europe.
(and they use less power resulting in power bill savings)

So no reply from AMD about VR? Is it a normal customer support ?!

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Thanks for your post. 

We are investigating reports of lower than expected performance in VR with RX 7900 series graphics cards. 

We have an existing thread on this topic which you can use to track status updates and to provide your feedback. https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/7900xtx-green-screen-at-boot-low-performance-in-steamvr-and-vr...