cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nec_v20
Challenger

7900XTX high idle power with 23.9.1 on two monitors (with "fix")

This is now getting to the stage as if AMD is just going out of its way to mock those of us who spent money on their product.

I now have two 32" monitors from the same manufacturer (LG) both of which are capable of 144 Hz with the difference being one of them is a 1440p monitor and the other is a 2160p monitor.

The monitors are:

1) LG 32GK850F-b: 32", 1440p, 144Hz, VA Panel
2) LG 32GQ950: 32", 2160p, 144Hz, Nano-IPS Panel

Both monitors are attached via DisplayPort.

I previously had an ASUS MG28U 28", 2160p 60 Hz, TN Panel monitor attached and it was the same story.

And before anyone even remotely thinks of saying, "Have you tried using a different cable", don't. I will go ballistic on them and I will NOT be nice about it. The answer is, "Yes I bloody well did, and it was a waste of effing time, and it cost me around the equivalent of $100 for the two cables".

If it is a cable issue, then AMD should come out with compatible cables at a fair price (I wouldn't mind this if it actually was a fix for the issue), and by fair price I mean no more than $20.

Another thing is, don't go saying it is an "Issue on Select monitors". Many people have come to me for help, and they have a wide range of high-end monitors and they ALL have this problem and the only thing that works is the "Fix" I have outlined below. Even if a monitor and capture card are in the PC, they have this issue.

When both monitors are set to 144 Hz (and even if both monitors are set to 1440p) the idle power shoots up immediately to 93 Watts. Even if only one of the monitors is connected (irrespective of which one), the idle power usage, at 144 Hz, is around 54 Watts.

The "Fix" for this is to change the refresh rates of both of my monitors on the desktop in the Windows Display settings to 60 Hz. They will still run at a higher refresh rate in gaming. The thing is though, that I am concerned about, is that part of my TBP in gaming is as a result of the bug where, as soon as the refresh increases, about 80 Watts are added to the power requirement of the card instead of being used to give me more gaming performance.

As soon as this is done, the idle power usage drops from 93 Watts to 7 Watts.

Just because Radeon no longer mentions it in its list of "Known Issues" doesn't mean that it is even remotely fixed.

I find the fact that they have just "Pocket Vetoed" the issue is disgraceful.

AMD just going dark on the entire subject, with no meaningful communication, is not acceptable. I don't even expect AMD to give any reply to this post, in favour of just ignoring it.

This problem has been around for about 10 months now, and I couldn't care less about 3 more FPS on Starfield or any other kind of gimmicks. I want the Radeon devs/engineers to get their thumbs out and FIX THIS BLOODY ISSUE AS THEIR HIGHEST PRIORITY!

0 Replies