cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Phoenix864
Journeyman III

7900XTX: Enabling FreeSync Causes BSODs

I've been experiencing significant system instability since the late July driver release. My system would often freeze and blackscreen while loading Windows. It would eventually reboot on its own and get into a cycle of boot - blackscreen - reboot - repeat until Windows finally disabled the GPU. The system would then boot normally, just requiring the iGPU to get a display. Looking at the crash dumps, just about every crash is a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related to the graphics drivers taking too long to respond.

After extensive troubleshooting, I think I've tracked the issue to FreeSync. After disabling FreeSync in the Adrenaline control panel, the system instability I was experiencing has disappeared. Has anyone else experienced crashing related to FreeSync? I've seen the reports of FreeSync causing crashes from early this year, but it sounded like those issues were resolved. I also was using my 7900XTX with FreeSync during that time and did not experience any instability, so it seems like this is a new issue.

Summary of troubleshooting before disabling FreeSync:

Updated and reset BIOS to default, verified integrity of system drive and stability of CPU and RAM.

Did multiple reinstalls of driver versions from July through the end of August using both DDU and AMD's uninstall tool, while being disconnected from the internet.

Checked the integrity of Windows and completely reinstalled Windows.

System spec:

AMD 7900X - ASUS B650E-F - MBA AMD RX 7900XTX - Gskill Flare X5 32GB - Corsair RM1000x - WD SN850X

Connected to a LG C2 via HDMI running 4k at 120hz.

0 Likes
0 Replies