cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Ragegrin
Adept I

7900XTX crashing, frequency issue

My 7900XTX keeps crashing when playing graphical intense games. I've tried replacing psu to a higher wattage. Currently 1000w. I've tried Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers. Gotten the card replaced. Adjusted and tweaked all settings. The one constant variable is that my gpu frequency always goes above the max setting values. If it's 2650 it'll hit 2700 and crash. If it's 3000 it'll hit 3150 and crash. Anytime it goes above the max frequency setting it crashes. I got no idea what to do anymore.

Specs: 13900k

7900xtx

32gb ddr4 ram

1000w psu

Z790 motherboard.

9 Replies
Propheticus
Adept I

Perhaps try to limit the max frequency to the specified max of 2500MHz ?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7900xtx

"Boost Frequency Up to 2500 MHz"

I've also noticed AMD software setting the 100% default max frequency  higher than advertised for some reason.
update: reading some comments online this is 'normal'.

Have you already tried a deepclean of drivers using DDU (Displaydriver uninstaller)  instead of the regular uninstall?

0 Likes

I'll give that a try

0 Likes

Nope that didnt work.

Its not just max frequency that you need to Set, lower its power limit to 80 or 90 for troubleshooting purposes.

Try the other bios if your model has dual bios. 

Try hard limiting fps, you have radeon chill for that. Vsync on as well. 

Be sure you run separate pcie power cables to the card. 

Check temps and use an older whql driver.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I've tried all this but the second bios. I'll give it a shot as well.

0 Likes
xxrune
Adept III

I think the only thing you can do is send a bug report through the bug report tool or through this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form to let them know that it's not just a few people having black screen issues or other issues after recent driver updates, and if you can get your money back because your card isn't working as intended, you should. I have a similar issue, and I'm so done with this that I'm getting my money back, and anyone who's just bought a card that isn't working as intended should do the same.

BTW, I crash on all games with my PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 XTX Red Devil.

I crash in any graphical intensive games. If it's not intense it seems to run fine. 

0 Likes

then you're somewhat lucky. I seem to crash on most, if not all, games like CSGO and so on.

0 Likes
bkdc
Adept I

What model is it? Stock voltage and frequencies? If the power cables and PSU are OK and the card crashes while using stock settings, RMA is not a bad idea.

Make sure that you are using more than one cable (2 or 3) from PSU to GPU. Then try (or ignore if you already did so):

- start with the default GPU settings (no overclock)

- give it a bit more juice by setting the powerlimit to 5%/10% or even 15%

- raise the voltage (while keeping the stock frequency) just to see if it becomes stable

- lower the max frequency while keeping the stock voltage and/or increasing the voltage

0 Likes