cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

m4rsmall0w
Adept I

7900XT issues with mouse on 2nd monitor in portrait

New 7900XT installed today, everything works great EXCEPT for mouse orientation on the 2nd monitor. Display output is fine, text is readable in portrait mode, but mouse thinks it's still landscape. 2nd monitor is to my right, when coming off the right side of main screen, cursor shows up at top of 2nd and moves down as I move right. Had an old nVidia card installed, nothing but the video card (and power supply, 650 just wasn't enough for a XT) changed. Windows shows orientation to be correct, have tried rebooting multiple times, unplugging cable, cloning displays then extending, etc. Oddly it did work correctly ONCE when moving a browser from primary to secondary, but after I released the window the behavior persisted.

System is a 3700X with 64GB, DP on MSI 32" primary display, HDMI to DVI on Dell 24". Yeah I should upgrade the 24" but that's why it's a 2nd.

1 Solution
lilo
Journeyman III

I was just able to fix this by going to windows "Mouse Properties" then "Pointer Options" then under "Visibility" I checked "Display pointer trails" and set it to as short as possible. It's really unfortunate that this is necessary to fix it and I have no idea why it works but that did at least make it functional for the time being.

Btw, I figured this out by asking ChatGPT and it recommended doing this 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
m4rsmall0w
Adept I

To clarify, this is a visual issue - the system recognizes where the mouse SHOULD be pointing (browser links highlight fine, dynamic background image updates), but the pointer itself is showing an incorrect location. See attached video.

m4rsmall0w
Adept I

Now if someone would approve my video attachment...

0 Likes
m4rsmall0w
Adept I

Put the monitor in landscape mode, everything works perfectly. This is JUST an issue with portrait mode and the mouse pointer sprite not synchronizing with the actual pointer position.

0 Likes

I have this exact issue as well. Were you able to figure anything out?

0 Likes
lilo
Journeyman III

I was just able to fix this by going to windows "Mouse Properties" then "Pointer Options" then under "Visibility" I checked "Display pointer trails" and set it to as short as possible. It's really unfortunate that this is necessary to fix it and I have no idea why it works but that did at least make it functional for the time being.

Btw, I figured this out by asking ChatGPT and it recommended doing this 

This worked! Didn't try it for a while because I got used to having the monitor back in landscape mode, but gave it a shot tonight and it worked great. Thanks!

0 Likes
myrothas
Journeyman III

I can confirm this issue. The workaround is a little help. But now i feel like im 65 years old.
Its not snappy, its horrible and i really hope this gets fixed asap. About to ship this card back.