Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

TM35
Adept I

7900xt driver timeout when playing Warhammer 3 and WoW

Specs:

5800x3d, 7900xt, 32 RAM, Prime x570-P

I recently upgraded to a 7900xt and it's been great.

However, I'm a big fan of Warhammer 3 and playing World of Warcraft (WoW wotlk) on my second monitor.

My old 1070 did this just fine, but my new 7900xt cashes when I try to play these 2 game specifically.

I can play any other AAA game with both Warhammer 3 and WoW (wotlk), but for some reason my GPU has a driver time-out with playing these specific games together.

I've tried many things without any success such as:

- reroll driver to older version

- reinstall driver using DDU

- reinstall driver-only without Adrenaline

- Turn off game overlay

- Disabling multiplane overlay in registry

- Only using 1 monitor on DP

- Only using 1 monitor on HDMI

- Reinstalled windows 10 OS

- Upgraded to windows 11

- Different RAM

- Reinstall games on same SSD

Nothing seems to make a difference. I can start up both games, start a game on Warhammer 3, but as soon as I load into my character in WoW, I get a driver time-out that appears to be a 2-3 second black flickering screen.

Please help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
TM35
Adept I

FIXED!!

Solution:

Both Warhammer 3 and WoW were installed on SSD's from Samsung. The Virtual Memory on the SSD was turned completely off (by default). After turning it on, both games run smooth as butter.

To check if your virtual memory is turned on:

Type 'Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows' in the search bar. (windows 11)

Open up the performance options and click on the 'Advanced tab' 

Under Virtual Memory, click on Change.

Check the drives you have and make sure the 'System managed size' is checked for all drives.

Apply and close. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
18 Replies
MrLeftCoast
Adept II

If you're using the 23.1.1 drivers, this seems to be a known issue

from the drivers notes:

Intermittent app crashes or driver timeout may occur when using Radeon Super Resolution with some extended display configurations.

While this is true, it still happens when Radeon Super Resolution is turned off, and it also still happens on a singular monitor with both games running. 

uncyler825
Adept III

Try adjust refresh rates to 60Hz and turn off variable refresh rate feature, disabled AMD FressSync from Radeon Settings.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/10aumlr/dpc_watchdog_violation_rx_7900_xtxxt_user_if_you/

0 Likes

Tried the fix but didn't work. Same issue remains.

It's not a permanent black screen of death, it lasts 2-3 seconds, then both games comeback on.

WoW will work as normal, but Warhammer 3 will have it's graphics all messed up. Often times terrain will be completely black .

Please let me know if you have other thoughs.

0 Likes
TM35
Adept I

With the latest driver, 23.2.2, the issue still persists.

0 Likes
TM35
Adept I

Found the crash report. ChatGPT tells me it's the driver. I hope this issue will get fixed in the future.

0 Likes
TM35
Adept I

New driver 23.3.1, issue still remains

0 Likes
TM35
Adept I

New driver 23.3.2, issue still remains

0 Likes
DonCabron
Journeyman III

I have had the same problem with WoW and my RX 6800. I solved it by deactivating ray tracing in the advanced graphics settings.

0 Likes

Ray tracing in wow or in Warhammer?

0 Likes
Weber462
Challenger

I’m on 7900xtx.  And warhammer is unplayable for me too. Get freeze to black screen.

0 Likes

Warhammer by itself or combined with another game?

0 Likes
sbdunks
Journeyman III

I am still experiencing constant driver time out issues playing WoW 10.1 retail on the 7900 XT reference model.

Solution:

Switch Graphics API to DX11

Background:

It happens mostly in Mythic+ Dungeons, biggest offender being the Underrot, always crashes around zone where the 2nd boss is (with the mushroom mechanics). Sometimes it crashes in Brackenhide, a few other dungeons, etc.

Switching to DX11 fixes the issue, but DX11 gameplay is not great compared to DX12. Lower framerates, some input lag and micro stuttering. Band aid solution, I don’t believe it’s completely an AMD problem, I’ve only had this problem re-occurring since 10.1 and also in Forbidden Reach 10.0.7 patch.

DX12 is completely unplayable while doing m+ keys in the Underrot.

There should be no reason for a high-end current gen AMD card to be performing this way in a triple A title, especially for the price you’re paying. Have highly considered going Nvidia next time around, as my friends are not having problems with their Nvidia card.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, not a solution for me. The driver even gets a timeout when I start up a WoW vanilla private server. This runs WoW with all settings and graphics as it was 20 years ago, which is not much. DX11 or 12 weren't even available back then.

0 Likes
TM35
Adept I

FIXED!!

Solution:

Both Warhammer 3 and WoW were installed on SSD's from Samsung. The Virtual Memory on the SSD was turned completely off (by default). After turning it on, both games run smooth as butter.

To check if your virtual memory is turned on:

Type 'Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows' in the search bar. (windows 11)

Open up the performance options and click on the 'Advanced tab' 

Under Virtual Memory, click on Change.

Check the drives you have and make sure the 'System managed size' is checked for all drives.

Apply and close. 

0 Likes

Oh wow! I’ll check this out!

My NVME m.2 SSD is a Seagate Firecuda 530 though but I had these driver timeout issues as well on my previous NVME m.2 that was a Crucial P3 Plus.

Unfortunately came back to update my previous workaround of playing in DX11, as I finally got a driver timeout while playing in an M+ dungeon (Brackenhide) on DX11. This would probably be 1/50 ish runs I had playing DX11. Where as I would crash every single run while playing DX12, so would say it’s far less frequent to get a driver timeout in DX11. 

Interesting theory though how SSD effects the GPU and GPU related driver timeout?

This issue is definitely frustrating. I’m gonna look into reverting back to an old driver (which I previously did during 10.0.7 DF patch to fix the driver timeout issues).

0 Likes

I really wish this would have been the solution for me. Sadly, I'm still being affected by the timeout issue in WoW. Can't believe I've been experiencing this issue for 11 months and counting.

0 Likes
Daddyroland
Journeyman III

Friend of mine has similar issues in world of warcraft and they have become even worse after the latest 10.1 patch. Everyone who has these kind of issues in wow should send driver crash reports to amd as soon as it happens again

0 Likes