cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

FreakyStyle
Adept II

7900 xt pc crashing when games are in full screen or borderless windowed mode

In the last view days i had multiple pc crashes when i played either diablo 3 or last epoch in borderless windowed mode.

i already have tried all 3 drivers for the 7900 xt(22.12.1, 22.12.2 and the 23.1.1)

i used ddu before installing the other drivers.

yesterday i tested last epoch with normal windowed mode and had no crash for over 5 hours. today i tested it again in borderless windowed and got the same pc crash within 15 minutes and got the pc to crash yesterday in less that 5 minutes after just standing in town and opening the map.

and after going back to normal windowed i had no crashes in hours again.

cant currently tell if the crashes are gone with diablo 3 too if i play it in windowed moe. will test it later at some point.

after over 1100 hours of playing last epoch and hundreds of hours with diablo 3 with my gtx 1080 i had no such a crash.

nothing in my system changed beside the gpu and of course the drivers with it.

the weird thing is that gta v and also dying light 2 caused no crashes in all the days since i have the gpu and both of them are in borderless windowed mode too.

System:

r9 5900 x  watercooled

rx 7900 xt

32gb ddr4 @3800 mhz

asus crosshair VIII dark Hero

750 watt cosair PSU

the temps are all fine with the cpu in the lower 60 and the gpu ind the lower 70

0 Likes
1 Solution

i may have found something that helped me. i played now for several hours and had no crash but still need to test it more to be shure.

under services stop and disable the "AMD External Events Utility" service.

For Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012 R2
  1. Right click on the Start button and select Computer Management.
  2. Expand Services and Applications.
  3. Select Services.

Location of the file:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0389188.inf_amd64_cd9701bcd4981eb7\B389045\atiesrxx.exe

after a quick google serach i found out that this service can cause the driver to crash and if this happened on my system it looks like the driver didnt restore after the crash and then the entire pc freezes since i hear my music and videos some time after the game freezes.

its worth a try.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
19 Replies
FreakyStyle
Adept II

currenty these 3 games are affected:

scum, last epoch, diablo 3

all 3 of them work perfectly fine in normal windowed mode.

i  think there are more games that would have the same problem but i havent tested more at the momment will update this thread if i do. 
i also already send a report via the adrenalin software with the same infos. 

other games like 

Dying Light 2 and GTA V dont have this problem even while playing in borderless for hours.

0 Likes
FreakyStyle
Adept II

2 more games i have crashes in Borderless windowed mode:

Grim Dawn and The Division 2 

both games caused my pc to rash in less than 10 minutes.

normal windowed mode in both games causes no problems.

0 Likes

the problem could be related to displayport.

45 minutes ago i had 2 crashes in less than 5 minutes and now i am on hdmi and the game runs for 45 minutes without crash in fullscreen.

also my  DP cables are good  i have tested 3 different cables on 2 monitors and the the problem happened. its either a problem from the drivers or a firmware problem on the card.

the problem i have now is that over hdmi i only get 144 hz and no hdr. i hope amd get this fixed soon...

0 Likes

What monitors and refresh rate? I know that there was some issue around higher refresh rate monitors, and "only 144 hz" leads me to believe you have a higher refresh rate monitor.

0 Likes

i have a MSI mag274qrf-qd 165 hz as my main monitor and an ASUS ROG SWIFT PG248Q 144hz as secondary. also the crashes happen with only 1 monitor enabled and plugged in.

i know 165 hz is not much more that 144 but still

0 Likes

Known issue:

please reference this post:

[DPC_Watchdog_Violation][amdkmdag.sys][RX 7900 XTX/XT] Discussion Thread

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dpc-watchdog-violation-amdkmdag-sys-rx-7900-xtx-xt-dis...

0 Likes

i dont know if it is the same problem since today i am using hdmi and could game all day without crash with freesync enabled. also when the crash happens most of the time ingame sound is still playing and music from youtube is still playing so the system is not completely crashed and i have no bluescreen ist just the image from the game is frozen and also my mouse and keyboard stop working so no key combinations for taskmamager or alt+F4 are working.

also my other monitor i have tested the crashing on has only support for g sync so freesync wasn enabled on this monitor and the crash was still happening.

Edit:

crash was still happening with DP and disabled freesync and vrr in windows so i have a different problem.

0 Likes
FreakyStyle
Adept II

after playing  about 2 1/2 hours of last epoch in borderless mode via hdmi i got the same crash... i dont know what the problem is. the only workaround left is playing all games in windowed mode but not all games allow the window to maximise on screen like diablo 3 there  the maximise window button is grayed out and this results in a big part of the screen not used while gaming...

edit:

ijust saw that there is a new driver 23.3.1

i  installed it now and will test it.

edit 2:

after just 2 minutes ingames the game(last epoch) crashed again. with DP and latest driver and borderless windowed...

0 Likes
Qoojo
Miniboss

Perhaps try to disable things in adrenaline. Start by disabling almost everything. Rebar might an issue. Turn off the overlay for sure.

It's also good to do "sfc /scannow" to make sure windows install if verified.

0 Likes

i have nothing enabled exept freesync and i already tried without so the problem is not the settings in the software.

0 Likes
FreakyStyle
Adept II

now i got the same crash in normal wondowed mode 5 minutes ago...

but it looks like the crash is way less likely to happen on normal windowed instead of borderless r fullscreen.

but i dont know what causes this as i said in the first post:
no game was crashing with my gtx 1080 and nothing but the gpu and the drivers with it changed.

0 Likes
shpackr
Adept I

Same problem. Gta 5 and witcher 3 crashing on my 7900 xt

0 Likes

i may have found something that helped me. i played now for several hours and had no crash but still need to test it more to be shure.

under services stop and disable the "AMD External Events Utility" service.

For Windows 8.1, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012 R2
  1. Right click on the Start button and select Computer Management.
  2. Expand Services and Applications.
  3. Select Services.

Location of the file:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0389188.inf_amd64_cd9701bcd4981eb7\B389045\atiesrxx.exe

after a quick google serach i found out that this service can cause the driver to crash and if this happened on my system it looks like the driver didnt restore after the crash and then the entire pc freezes since i hear my music and videos some time after the game freezes.

its worth a try.

0 Likes

Hey!

Sounds like you have the exact same issue as I do, however mine is on a 6700XT.

Turning off Hardware Acceleration on background apps fixed these issues in some games, like League of Legends or similar, however I still have issues with D4, Path of Exile, Last Epoch (Was how I originally found out.) 

Can you confirm if this fixed your issue completely? Or do you still have issues? I've been considering using my reclamation on the card, but I am unsure if 3rd party apps are the cause.

0 Likes

I havent played any of the games i mentioned having the crashes since i found that possible fix other than Last Epoch but that ididnt play long enough to really make sure but all other games i have played till then like remnant from the ashes, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Warhammer 3, Nienix, Crystal Project, Afterimage, Ori 1 and 2, Exo One, Everspace 2 and Chorus did not crash my system.

But i had a driver crash which was restored without restarting the PC when i had 2 windows of Firefox open one with twich aand the other with a youtube video while i was playing with the BGM emulator and this time there was dwm.exe(desctop window manager) in the event log so could be a complete different problem.

i mean you can just try it. if your problem is really the same as mine you will notice it in less than 24h if it worked.

Just wanted to return to this, in-case anyone with a 6700XT would stumble upon this thread.

This has fixed my issue.

Remember to permanently turn off AMD External Events Utility, and not just temporary, as it will turn on at a reboot then.

0 Likes
Couak
Journeyman III

I had the same problem, yesterday i solved it by changing Freesync method in graphics setting for each game. I also activated the chill thing and set the minimum to 60 fps and the max to 75 (because i don't have a faster refresh rate yet).

I had instant crash when launching Hogwart's legacy, Witcher 3, Jedi Survivor, BeamNg and maybe more in borderless fullscreen and fullscreen. I change those settings and i don't have any problem so far. 

I think, it's worth a try.

My config:

Asus Prime X670-P

Ryzen 9 7900x

XFX 6950 XT

Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600 MHz

BeQuiet Straight Power 1200W

0 Likes

thanks but most of the games only have v sync option on or off and i play with off since i use vrr.

and you said you had instant crashes  when launching so complete different porblem but still thanks for taking time to answer.

0 Likes
Milaw2007
Journeyman III

See what people don't realize the real issue is rsr and multiple monitor set up. Amd get ur **bleep** together and fix it already, this is my 3rd gpu now with 7900 xtx having the same issue with all my other amd gpus

0 Likes