Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Harashi
Journeyman III

7900 XT crashes games on startup on newly built computer

Hello everyone,

I just built a new computer last week with an AMD Ryzen 77800X3D and a XFX Speedster MERC310 AMD Radeon RX 7900XT. I installed the newest drivers and tried to launch a game (cyberpunk 2077). It launched but very slowly and stuttering. I then realized that Windows 11 used the integrated GPU (AMD Radeon graphics), so I changed the settings to use the 7900 XT on high performances. Then I tried to launch the game, but it freezes on startup. Idem for another heavy game like the Hitman 3 demo, but not with an older one like Borderlands : The pre-sequel which I can play normally. After the freeze, it either crashes or I have to terminate it with the task manager. Then the GPU stays active (I have a glass panel, so I see the "XFX" light staying on), the game is still running in Steam (I have to click on "stop" but it stays in progress forever) and I have to restart the computer to use it plainly again.

I already updated the BIOS, unplug and plug again the GPU end of the power cable, unistall and reinstall the drivers with AMD cleanup utility. Seeing on this forum it could be an issue with the newer drivers, I tried using the ones in this post. As a result, I now only had the 7900 XT running, not the integrated one, and I successed in launching the Hitman 3 demo, but it was again very slow and stuttering and basically unplayable. I updated to the new ones from here and the issue persists.

Does anyone have a solution ? Is this a problem that AMD will soon repair or is there something I did wrong ? It is the first time I build a PC and use this kind of hardware.

Thanks, and sorry if I made grammar mistakes as English is not my native language/

1 Solution
Harashi
Journeyman III

Problem fixed, it was quite simple :

- I did not connect my screen cable to the GPU but to the motherboard

- I only used one power cable instead of two on the GPU

After fixing that it worked properly. It had actually nothing to do with the driver, so I suppose the topic can be moved elsewhere.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
germaike
Journeyman III

Hi,

Having the same problem. Got me a new built. AMD ryzen 7 7800x3d with amd radeon rx 7900 xtx.

Already tried several things. I can play a game like apex legends with no problem but te cyberpunk just crashes. If anyone can help our case, that we be wonderfull

Kind regards,

G

0 Likes
Harashi
Journeyman III

Problem fixed, it was quite simple :

- I did not connect my screen cable to the GPU but to the motherboard

- I only used one power cable instead of two on the GPU

After fixing that it worked properly. It had actually nothing to do with the driver, so I suppose the topic can be moved elsewhere.

0 Likes

you saved my pc with this reply i also had to plug in my monitor to my gpu

0 Likes