cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

palindrom
Adept I

7800 XT showing artifacts on photos

Hi, I've recently bought a new 7800xt to replace old Geforce. After inserting it to my pc all was ok, then I installed amd drivers and still seemingly all is fine, but I noticed there are artifacts on some photos (no matter if jpg or png etc). The artifacts do only appear in the default Windows 11 photo viewer and only in the default view, when I zoom in they disappear, when I zoom back they're there again.

So I've launched DDU driver uninstaller, after erasing drivers, on the default system ones it was all fine again, no artifacts, then again after installing latest amd drivers, they're back and this time a lot more photos have them.

Before Radeon I had a Geforce on the same system and there were no such issues.
Using other third party photo viewers like irfan view also show no issues.
The card doesn't overheat as artifacts also show up after the night when the card is cool, I don't do OC and my PSU is Corsair 750hx Platinum.
Fortunately the issue doesn't bother me that much because when using the pc/playing games etc there are no artifacts at all, this is only in the windows photo viewer.

How could I fix this, as you can see I've crossed out windows and hardware issue so this is a 99% drivers issue, should I revert back to previous drivers version? Am I the only one with such problem? Perhaps such ordeal was reported already and the next drivers would address this?

0 Likes
6 Replies
Zalugar
Adept II

7800XT here, I actually had this same issue. My 'solution' was just to screenshot the issue, notify AMD via the bug report tool, then revert to the 2nd most recent driver. So I'd submit a bug report via the AMD Bug Report Tool with a screenshot of the issue just to make sure it gets addressed.

I'm also new to AMD from GeForce with the latest driver being my first AMD graphics driver on an entirely new system, so no other drivers to get in the way. Funnily it was only with Windows Photo Viewer (legacy) and no other photo viewing programs I tried out (and didn't like). Notably small resolution pictures would be extremely corrupted but anything that was zoomed (including an image starting zoomed out due to high resolution) displayed completely fine. Example:

CorruptionCorruption

looks like latest 24.1.1 drivers fixed the issue

palindrom
Adept I

Thank you Zalugar, yes that's exactly the same issue,  I've used the bug report and reported this as well, nice to know it's not just me. Let's hope they will resolve this in the upcoming drivers.

johns_wikiii
Adept I

It sounds like the issue is likely due to the drivers. Reverting to a previous driver version might fix the problem, or check for updates that might address this. For a detailed guide on troubleshooting, you might find this video helpful.

0 Likes
Shawn22
Journeyman III

It sounds like you're dealing with a driver compatibility issue with the AMD 7800 XT, specifically affecting how the default Windows 11 photo viewer processes images. Since the artifacts disappear in other photo viewers and when using system default drivers, it's likely related to the current AMD driver version. Reverting to a previous driver version or waiting for a new driver update that addresses this specific issue could resolve it. You're not alone—these kinds of bugs can sometimes appear with new drivers, and AMD may release a fix in future updates. Meanwhile, using a third-party viewer like IrfanView might be a good workaround.

0 Likes
arfa-aslam
Journeyman III

It sounds like the issue with your 7800 XT showing artifacts on photos is likely driver-related, especially since the artifacts disappear when reverting to system drivers. Since the problem is only visible in the Windows 11 photo viewer and not in other apps like IrfanView, it's safe to say that it’s not hardware-related. Reverting to a previous AMD driver version or waiting for the next update could solve this.

0 Likes