cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kingycans
Journeyman III

7800 XT High idle power consumption

Just got 7800 XT yesterday and noticed that memory clock stayed at 2425 and high power consumption on idle stage.

I have 3 monitors setup:

A: 1440p 165hz connected DP

B: 1080p 144hz connected DP

C: 1080p 75hz connected HDMI

When I only use monitor A, TBP normal at 30ish W and mem clock dropped on idle. A+B was fine still maintaning at 30-40ish W, still everything was fine and mem clock woukd drop just like using A only. But when I use A+B+C, TBP goes to 80ish W and mem clock stuck at 2425 won't go down. Tried using custom reso from the adrenaline software, tweaking blanking lines with cru, pushing pixel clock as high as possible but still didn't fix the problem yet. I did change the HDMI cable but still didn't fixed it, I can't use DP cause my monitor only support HDMI. Any idea how to fix this instead of replacing monitor?

6 Replies
koxy1
Journeyman III

Same happend to me, replace monitors wont do anything, only solution is to use two monitors intead of three... Is well know issue with AMD for years now they claimed they fixed but they didnt for me personally is a last gpu from them... and btw dont use AMD overlay it will consume 25W more on top of that... Turn off hardware acceleration in Your browser, discord, battlenet etc and unplugg third monitor after that my power consuption when idle is around 25W still way to high in my opinion but better than 50W...

0 Likes

yeah this is my first time using amd and notice some strange power consumption, did you try tweaking with CRU? didn't work for me either, yeah I just unplugged my 3rd monitor for a while till I got some solution. My tbp now with 2 monitors is around 15-25 and for me it's totally fine but come on AMD, it's been a while and didn't fixed with newest GPU and latest driver

0 Likes

yeah i tried with Cru didnt work, swapping monitors same story, only unppluging third monitor(dosent matter witch one) solve issue.

0 Likes
dht7
Journeyman III

I also have a high idle power consumption (50W) on Linux + Windows and a high MCLK (1218MHz). I'm using 3 1440p displays.

But the strange part is that for some strange resolutions the power consumption is low. For example:

A: 2560x1440@75Hz; B: 2560x1440@144Hz + Adaptive sync; C: 2560x1440@60Hz => 48W

A: 1920x1200@60Hz; B: 2560x1440@144Hz + Adaptive sync; C: 2048x1280@60Hz => 25W

A: 1920x1200@60Hz; B: 2560x1440@60Hz + Adaptive sync; C: 2048x1280@60Hz => 8W

Removing A, B or C solves the high idle problem but I need all three of them for software developing.

0 Likes
koxy1
Journeyman III

unfortunately its not possible with 3 monitors setup, try turn on freesync on all of them if you have it, coz i have only 2 monitors with freesync also turn off hardware acceleration in your browser, launchers like steam, battle.net etc

0 Likes
dht7
Journeyman III

Thanks for the info. I will try it out.

0 Likes