cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Imperium77
Journeyman III

7800 xt driver install issues

Iam having driver install issues with my new 7800xt.    After installing the pc freezes when restarting.   I have used the cleanup tool.  Made sure windows was up to date.   And have used a registry cleaner once after teh cleanup tool before reinstalling with no avail.   Installing just the driver has the same issue.    I have also skipped the restart and shut down the pc and then tried the restart after it was up and running again.    Win 10.    TR 1950x processor.    Any other ideas?

0 Likes
7 Replies
CapPain
Adept II

Are you able to uninstall the driver completely and boot wihtout installing the latest, let windows install the native?

If so, I'd try the following:

Remove current driver from control panel. Reboot and let then run DDU from safe mode, use your best matching option.

0 Likes

Ive tried all 3 options on the DDU in safe mode.   Even when I disable my ethernet controller when I restart it still installs the windows default driver.  Dont know how without internet and DDU supposedly erasing it from my system.   At a total loss here.

0 Likes

I have noticed now that even if I install just the drivers for some reason the entire Adrenaline suite still gets installed.   I have run both amd uninstaller, ddu and then a registry cleaner before installing and still no go.   Also the factory reset option is permanently grayed out.  Seems the installer file is in need of fixing.   Is AMD working on this?  Any recognition that we cant use our new cards?

0 Likes
Imperium77
Journeyman III

Ok.   If i dont restart after installing the driver and look at it in device manager there is an error 43.   Ive gotten the pc to get to a garbled screen desktop at best.   When the pc doesnt restart my motherboard shows a cache error code.   Should I just return my card?   Is this card not compatible with the x399  threadripper motherboards?

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

In your position I would disable Windows ability to update GPU drivers Solved: How to stop updates for drivers with Windows Updat... - AMD Community and run DDU once more, restart two times after, and attempt to install the correct drivers again. Windows has overwritten my drivers in the past and those drivers simply do not function as they should on my AMD GPUs.

I hope this helps.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Here is another way you can disable Windows overwriting drivers. Windows Update Replacing AMD Adrenalin Drivers? FIX it in 2 minutes! - YouTube

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
CapPain
Adept II

From my experience, I never had to mess around with the Windows drivers when installing your graphics card drivers. Occasionally I have ran DDU but never came across an issue like that.

I was wondering if there was chance you may have/may still have your monitor plugged in to the motherboard pulling integrated graphics, but I believe your TR 1950x does not provide any graphics. Perhaps that's why Windows still forces install a driver or you may have problems.

What's your status now? Are native drivers correctly installed? If so, are you able to run ccleaner and clean the registry for any possible messups, let it reboot an dupgrade it?

Also "I have noticed now that even if I install just the drivers for some reason the entire Adrenaline suite still gets installed." - This is normal unless you don't select to install the full package. I am sure there's an option for minimum install. However, insteresting to know whether you're able to remove adrenaline separately or not.

Isn't your CPU server grade? Then it may behave differently. Does the pdf below help?

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/radeon-software-command-line-installation-user-guide.pdf

0 Likes