Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

6700xt pc freeze during dota 2 match

5800x3d   6700xt

latest gpu driver

restart was needed because pc did not respond

this is second time and first time was before around 50 days in dota 2.

warthunder, sniper elite 4, call of duty warzone, sekiro, ori, horizon zero dawn work great.

I did test pc and all is good.

same problem did happen in company of heroes 3 many times and I did contact coh3 support and problem is confirmed but fix still did not come.

dota 2 is updated very often compared to coh3 and I think that is reason why problem did not repeat for almost 2 months compared to coh3 where problem will happen if I try to play it.

I did remove and install again every visual c++ version but I do not know if that have any connection with problem.

I do not know if this problem have connection with gpu drivers and it will be nice if amd can investigate or share some information.

20 Replies
nocen
Journeyman III

Upvote this. Having the same issue on 6700 xt with Dota 2

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

6700xt is not old gpu and to have problem with game like dota 2 is not acceptable and idk who should fix it amd or game developers.

some information from amd about this would be nice.

0 Likes
AMD_cire
Challenger

for workaround, try vulkan.

if still error, revert to 22.11.2

MSI B550 Pro-VDH - MSI 6600XT - Ryzen 5600G
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

in coh3 there is no options to change it.

I did try vulkan before with ryzen 2700x but it was not smooth and now I have better cpu 5800x3d and I will try again with vulkan.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If my memory is good I did have same  problem in company of heroes 3 with driver version 22.11.2 but problem did happen less.

0 Likes

I tried Vulkan and it froze next dota 2 match.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

how often freeze will happen to you?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

pc did freeze in company of heroes 3 with driver v23.5.2

its hard to reproduce it in dota 2 and it did happen only 2 times during april, may and part of june.

I did install company of heroes 3 today to try again with driver v23.5.2 and pc did freeze during second 1v1 match.

Problem is worse with last 2-3 driver versions in company of heroes 3.

I have 2 monitors one connected with display port and one with hdmi, idk if that is connected with this problem.

after last pc freeze in dota 2 problem did not happen again.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

mpo disabled

I will update post after testing.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think mpo is problem.

mpo off and 20+ company of heroes 3 matches no freeze

freeze is rare in dota 2 so its hard to test it

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today pc did freeze but I was in company of heroes 3 main menu and on second monitor I did use browser. Since I disabled mpo pc did not freeze during gameplay.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did follow instructions to disable mpo and set value 5 but in registry editor value is 8, maybe windows did change it.

It did happen again, company of heroes 3 was open on one monitor and I did use browser on second monitor.

0 Likes
rekoj
Adept II

i had a similar issue few months ago with my new 6700xt, pc randomly freezing when playing Lost Ark. In my case got fixed since the 23.3.1 driver update, i also disabled MPO

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did find your solution in some discussion

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/pc-completely-freezes-randomly-if-i-m-not-using-22-5-1...

is there need to disable hardwar acceleration in registry editor?

I disabled hardware acceleration from windows registry and browsers, you can try and see if it helps

0 Likes
shaqg23
Adept II

I know its a bit old post, I have been facing the same issue, I have disabled MPO but I noticed that my GPU is in idle spins around 926 RPM or 30% speed of fans, is it happening with you too?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fans of my gpu are not spining until certain temperature is reached but its not same for every gpu. Maybe your gpu already did reach that temperature point.

0 Likes

My fans start randomly spinning at some certain temperature, lets say they start spinning at 55 celsius, usually they were in idle mode before something magically changed.

0 Likes

If you have disable the "Zero RPM" feature in the AMD driver that make the fans to turn off at low temperatures, so it is normal that they never turn off, in my case the minimum speed of my 6700xt red devils is 30%

0 Likes

Zero RPM feature is enabled, sometimes Fans are idle but randomly they start spinning and they stop despite the fact there is no change in temperature while monitoring.

0 Likes