cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RagingWolf
Journeyman III

6700xt Crashes When Gaming

I've had this problem consistently since I bought the card on July 5th, 2022. It worked like normal for probably a month or so. I upgraded from an Nvidia 1660 TI. No DDU or anything, it worked and it was great. Swapped cards and started playing my normal games. EVERYTHING = FINE. Then, all of a sudden I started to get game crashes, blue screens and monitors just shutting themselves off, but I can still hear the game and my friends talking on Discord and they can still hear me. So... Where in the hell did everything go wrong? I've scoured Reddit, random IT articles on the web, and YouTube help tutorials. Absolutely nothing has helped. My only real solution is to refund my card and swap to Nvidia, that's a hassle that I don't want to do and shouldn't have to, and would like the product I bought just to work. 1. Like it's intended to do and 2. apparently like everyone else saying "My 6700xt is rock solid".

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
RAM: G.Skill v series Ripjaws (4x8gb) DDR4 3600
Motherboard: B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Gaming OC 12 GB GDDR6 HDMI / Triple DP (11306-01-20G)
Storage: 500 GB M.2 SSD, 2 TB SSD, and a 4 TB HDD
Monitors: Gigabyte G27QC 27" 165Hz 1440p Curved Gaming Monitor and an Onn 24 inch
PSU: EVGA GQ 750 Watt 80 plus gold

Now this has been the same PC setup that I built 4 years ago except:
I upgraded from a Ryzen 7 3700x to a Ryzen 9 3700x
Bought a new Desktop case for better airflow/cleaning
"Upgraded" from an Nvidia 1660 TI to the AMD 6700xt
I added 16 more Gb of Ram same brand, same sticks
In that order.

The "solutions" I have tried are:
Reinstall drivers(starting here just know at every point of more information added to this list I continuously did this part :D)
upgraded my ram
Disabled Windows from updating my drivers(that has been off for about 4-5 months, but ig Windows is still able to do it somehow, based on a crash that happened yesterday)
Checked my hard drives for corruption they were fine
Checked my ram for corruption they were fine
Updated my BIOS
Updated my motherboard chipset
Did a DDU in safe mode even though I felt it was unnecessary because the card was fine months after the swap, crashes still happened after DDU anyways.
Researched to find other ways and got fed up.

The problems I'm having AFTER I "upgrade" and before/after lowering all settings to the lowest:
GTA V Online: the game minimizes itself, completely crashes, or completely crashes my PC via blue screens
MechWarrior 5 mercenaries: Full-game crash, PC crash via blue screen
7 days to die: Full-game crash, PC crash via blue screen
Wartales: Selected the options button to adjust the volume and graphic quality, and the game crashed, told my friends about it in Discord, and then the PC crashed via blue screen all within about 5 minutes of the game being open.

I feel like I have covered every single base that I could. I can try playing more games to see if they will crash with other games, but I feel like my experience justifies that it already happens on the games listed. I'm still within the 2-year warranty for a replacement or a refund, but I haven't taken that route any further.

0 Likes
1 Reply
jsk68
Challenger

Reinstall windows? I lost sound in Discord, one day it was fine next day nothing.  I tried every freaking thing, finally as a last resort (and because it's the old school way to fix problems and almost always works) I bit the bullet and reinstalled.

I bought a rx5700 back in 2019, worked perfect for a week then windows updated and it started black screening.

You'd be surprised how many issues a jacked up install of windows can cause.

0 Likes