cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Overture
Journeyman III

60 fps games hard-switch the monitor refresh rate down to 60Hz, even if borderless (FreeSync issue?)

I have a high refresh rate FreeSync monitor and when I launch a game that runs at 60Hz the screen goes black and switches the refresh rate of the monitor from 120/165Hz to 60Hz, even if it's using borderless fullscreen. Exiting the game doesn't restore the original refresh rate, I have to set it back manually. Just so we're clear, the refresh rate doesn't adjust automatically based on the content, it hard-switches the monitor's own refresh rate just like doing it manually from the Windows settings, that's what I mean with "goes black".

I have no idea what triggers this issue, every day immediately after boot I launch PCSX2 and run a game in (borderless) fullscreen to see if the refresh rate changes or not, sometimes it doesn't for several days, sometimes it does, it's seemingly random.
I can fix the issue by updating/AMD Cleanup/DDU'ing my drivers, but it's just a temporary fix, it can happen again even on the next boot.

I noticed that if I turn off/on FreeSync from Adrenalin the screen doesn't momentarily go black when clicking on the toggle (it used to do that when it was working properly), so FreeSync might be part of the issue. If I disable/enable it from my monitor's OSD then it goes black and plays the Windows un/plug sound.

I'm on 23.9.1 but I've had this issue for several months now, the first time it happened was in July but maybe it was happening already and I just wasn't playing any 60 fps game.

Specs: 3700X, RX 5700XT, Win10 22H2
Primary monitor connected via DP: MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD, secondary monitor connected via HDMI (old 60Hz, no VRR, issue happens even if this one is not active)

I've sent a report via AMD Bug Report Tool, asked in /r/AMD's discord and applied for AMD Vanguard but I haven't heard anything back so I'm just trying here to see if someone at AMD will help me out.

0 Likes
0 Replies