cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

5700 XT second monitor no longer detected by Windows

Hi,

I've had the 5700 XT since September, and while trying to deal with the continuous random black screen issues that plagued the previous drivers, I thought I'd try one of the features of my motherboard that allows you to have one monitor connected to the GPU and another connected to the onboard graphics, in hopes of getting rid of it.

So I enabled the setting in the bios, connected the second monitor to the onboard graphics through HDMI and all was well. Until now.

When I tried to revert back to having both monitors connected to the GPU, the second monitor is not detected by windows at all no matter what I try. 

Things I've tried: 

Tried to boot with just one screen connected through HDMI

Tried 19.12.X drivers

Clean 20.1.3 driver install

Reseated GPU and RAM

Different HDMI cables

Switched ports between the Main Monitor(DP) and Secondary Monitor(HDMI). So Main Monitor was connected through HDMI and Secondary Monitor was connected through DP. Same issue. Now Main Monitor(HDMI) is not detected.

Reset BIOS settings (in case I had changed something else other than the dual-monitor-specifc setting and had forgotten about it.)

Turned HDCP support off

Fiddled with most of the Radeon settings to no avail.

Is there something I'm missing that could be software related? Or is my HDMI port fried? To me, at this stage, it seems like the HDMI port is a goner, but I just don't understand how since last time I used it was a 2 months ago and it was working fine.

I'm completely stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

AMD Graphics Card

• Asus ROG Strix RX 5700 XT

• Desktop or Laptop System

• Desktop

• Operating System

• Windows 10 64bit

• Driver version installed

• Display Devices

• Main Monitor: MSI Optix MAG27CQ, DisplayPort, 2560x1440, 144Hz

• Secondary Monitor: ASUS VE276Q, HDMI, 60Hz 

• Motherboard + Bios Revision

• MSI Z270M Mortar, BIOS Version 1.60

• CPU/APU

• Intel i7 6700k

• Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

• XFX TS 750W Bronze

• RAM

• Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400Mhz

16 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Turn off the computer and check all DP and HDMI ports by one by entering the BIOS screen. If there is a port problem, use your consumer rights. If the ports are healthy but Windows does not see the port(s), the problem is probably software. Uninstall IGPU driver using safe mode with DDU and deactivate with BIOS. Then try installing a clean Radeon driver...etc...

Thank you for your suggestions. I was about to do what you suggested, but missed the BIOS window. So I thought I'd try reconnecting the HDMI cable on the second monitor while the computer was booting for the 1000th time.

This time, I actually got image on the second monitor. Only it was confined within a 640x480 box in the middle of the screen. The display was being detected, but resolution settings were greyed out and stuck at 640x480 and the second display looked like a 5'' monitor next to monitor nr.1 on the display settings.  After turning the monitor on and off, I got back to "no signal" and the second monitor not being detected again, so now I'm back to square one. This is the strangest issue I've ever run into.

After restarting, I lost image to BOTH screens, and the main monitor would only show the boot screen and then be stuck on black. After plenty of restarts and attempts to boot into safe mode it miraculously worked, so I repeated the loop.Uninstalled drivers in safe mode, deactivated PEG, restarted, clean install again only to have the same problem. And I'm back to square one.

All in all, the ports seem to be fine. But whether the GPU detects what's being connected on the ports seems to be completely temperamental and I have no clue what could be at fault.

0 Likes

Good news is that the GPU and ports are healthy. The bad news is that Windows system doesn't detect this. Were Windows setup with UEFI? Were BIOS CSM feature be activated or deactivated? Does Windows write regedit data properly when a monitor is connected to the system, so is Windows healthy? Have Windows display settings been made after the monitor connected? I think it will be right that such ways may fix your issue...

1. Yes, it's UEFI

2. CSM, or "Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support" I think MSI calls it, was enabled.

3. I honestly have no idea how to check that. I ran sfc and DISM with no errors. If there's anything else I should have done, please let me know.

4 I'm not sure what you mean here.  The PC is currently acting as if no second monitor is connected. "Detect multiple displays" just comes back with "Didn't detect another display" and the few times I managed to get image through HDMI on the secondary monitor it was confined in a 640x480 box in the middle of the screen, resolution and all settings were greyed out in the display settings, and there was no name for the monitor or any information in the advanced display settings window other than "Destkop resolution 640x480". Is there something else I should have tried? 

Thanks again for your suggestions. I've been struggling with this for a month now, and even the fact that I managed to get image for a moment through HDMI while trying to test your recommendations made me feel that at least it's not futile.

0 Likes

Would you try to disable CSM? Also start the computer without a monitor connection. Then try to connect monitors one by one with starting Windows. Set the monitor from 144 hertz to 60 hertz and then try again. Also use only 1080p for each monitor. Also...
https://www.amd.com/tr/support/contact-email-form 
Using this link, ask if the problem is caused by the driver.

No cigar. Disabled CSM and restarted, same issue. Set main monitor to 1080p, 60Hz, restarted, same issue.

I've also filled the contact form you provided and explained the problem as well as link to this thread.

The only interesting outtake I have from trying the above is this: When I turned the computer off, disconnected the monitors and proceed to power it on again and connect the 2nd monitor through HDMI while the computer was booting, the computer powered off and would refuse to turn on again for the next couple of minutes. I had to turn the psu off, leave it be, and then try again after a minute or so in order for it to turn on. I don't know if that tells you anything worthwhile.

0 Likes

Uninstall all drivers in safe mode with DDU for Intel and AMD and try again. Does the problem persist without display drivers? DDU will remove all monitor and display drivers, and if there is a driver-related problem, maybe the cause will become clear. All display ports are most likely active on the BIOS screen for a healthy system. However, when Windows starts, you should be able to activate the second monitor. Also test the system with 144 hertz monitors and a TV if possible. You should understand the cause of the problem. I just tried to give hints about the functioning of the system.

0 Likes

Yeah, the problem persists regardless. I've already tried removing everything with DDU, more than once. And sadly I don't have a TV or a secondary monitor available to try.

Edit: I spoke too soon. There is actually a TV I can try to fiddle with. I'll update when I connect it.

0 Likes

Contact the place where you bought the graphics card. Indicate that you cannot receive images from the second port and Windows doesn't see the changes even though you have removed the display driver. But ROG STRIX is good. If I were you, I would have demanded a change. Probably two  display ports (including HDMI) are not working at the same time.

Yeah, it seems that's my only solution. It wasn't always like this though.It worked well in the beginning bar the random black screen issues. 

TV doesn't work either, and I'm done trying to wrestle with this issue. I'll just RMA. Thanks for your help man.

Edit: As a last update, my previous GPU, RX 580 works like a charm and detects both monitors immediately, so I'm sending the 5700 XT back for RMA.

alex82
Journeyman III

Hi Both,

I was also having the same issues as you discussed, everything seemed to aim towards a faulty card (mine is an RX5700 xt) that could not detect both monitors at the same time. Both monitors worked fine plugged in on their own. When both connected I would always loose my primary screen.

Anyway, i found this troubleshooter today, and it suggested to try this windows sequence key, and it fixed my issue. Both monitors were detected instantly.

Try a Windows Key sequence

In some cases, pressing Windows logo Key + Ctrl + Shift + B may fix your issue. If this does not work, see if rebooting helps.

found on this site.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4481332/windows-10-troubleshoot-external-monitor-connection... 

All the best,

Alex

Hey,

Thanks for your contribution.I want to add that I've tried the driver reset sequence before I RMA'ed the card and in my case it didn't work. 

I think the main way to distinguish between the two cases would be the fact that monitors worked as monads in your case, while in my case the HDMI port refused to detect anything, or it would detect something weird whenever the planets aligned. 

I got myself a Red Devil instead and it's all going swimmingly.

This was not necessary in older versions of Windows. I am sure of this situation. That's why I suggested RMA to you. But I tried this Windows shortcut and thought it was useful. I am glad to solve your problem.

0 Likes
ventoinhas
Journeyman III

Hi all,

I think i have the same problem.

Mine seems to detect the second monitor but it shows no image.

To solve my issue i go to the amd driver software -> configurations -> screen and activate eyefinity.

After this both monitors show image and then i deactivate eyefinity and every thing is back to normal.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
hikisukkaa
Journeyman III

Try to change (hz)  of second monitor.

My 2nd monitor works only with 60hz if ill change it to 100 or 144hz  the computer does not recognize the display .

My GPU: 6800 xt.

0 Likes
Nickgamer2311
Journeyman III

Well, the main problem with this error is with Your System’s Driver. There many other reasons mentioned below:-

• Wrong power source
  • Wrong HDMI, DVI cable
  • Connection Problem

So these are the reasons for its occurrence (usually). Now, let’s dive into the solution section.

1. Restart your computer.

2. Connect a wireless external display.

3. Force your Windows 10 to detect the second monitor.

4. Update your display driver.

5. Rollback driver.

6. Update your windows.

7. Change project mode.

8. Change Resolution.

9. Check the Display Adapter.

These are the solution you can try.

0 Likes