Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thebigbadwolfguy
Journeyman III

24.1.1 driver causes issues with Steam VR. Error 309 on Steam VR

Hello,

does anyone experience issues with launching Steam VR after the driver was upgraded to 24.1.1? I am on 7900 XTX, and with 23.12.1 there was no issues at all, then in February, as the new driver with FMF came, it worked once with VR goggles and then no more since last two weeks.

I've identified, that there is touble with initializing of the Steam/steamapps/common/SteamVR/bin/win64/crserver.exe file. That is the key component that is missing while launching Steam VR. I've narrowed the issue when I marked the exe file to start in compatibility mode with Windows 8. Now the Steam VR launches and I can see the verserver.exe in processes in task manager, but the Steam VR does not see the goggles (HR Reverb G2) anymore. I think that's because only that one component is being emulated in some kind of sandbox and does not have full access to hardware.

When rolling back to last version of 2023, the issue is immediately gone. But the FMF is then missing and that's sad.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Knite300
Adept I

Not the only one with this issue; hopefully we can all bring attention to it

0 Likes
khun
Journeyman III

same issue here on 6700xt

Dakscor
Journeyman III

+1

I have the same issue on 6600m

Good morning,
All the drivers from 2024 are all buggy when it comes to SteamVR and VR in general, so 24.1.1 24.1.2 24.2.1, with all of them I sometimes have extreme frame drops in VRchat.
The last driver from 2023 doesn't have this problem, I get 50-100 in maybe 2-3 hours, whereas with the 2024 drivers I get over 100 after just a few minutes, even when doing nothing.
Something has to happen, the graphics card is the RX7900XTX

https://youtu.be/nsY-4TDzJns

0 Likes
thebigbadwolfguy
Journeyman III

Well, after I've installed the 24.2.1 today, I was able to start SteamVR. That only confirms, that it was a driver issue. Let's see if it stays so.

0 Likes