cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nox11
Journeyman III

23.7.1 -> High power draw still present

Hi, just updated to 23.7.1 in hope of solving the high power draw at iddle, at yet it is still present. Multimonitor settup + 144Hz and power is sitting at 90W, when I change refresh rate to 60Hz power goes down to 20W. Using RX 7900 XTX

45 Replies

I also still have the same high idle power draw problem with Adrenalin v23.7.1 and changing any power saving parameters does not help. It's real simple in that If I set my monitors refresh rate at 60Hz board power draw at idle on my RX 7900 XTX is 20w and all is good. If I change my monitors refresh rate to 100Hz or 120Hz then the board power draw at idle increases to about 95w and stays there. My GPU CLK rate also constantly jumps all around from 1 to 100Mhz. This is sitting at the Win 11 home screen doing nothing with no applications running. 

I've had this issue since day 1 on my RX 7900 XTX and the problem still exists. Very disappointing that AMD is claiming the issue is fixed in the release notes. I have issued a bug report to AMD from my Adrenalin SW to hopefully provide more info and additional insight to fix this issue.

My PC CPU is a 5900x w/32GB memory and a Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX and a Samsung QN55Q70AAFXZA LED monitor.

Exactly the same issue here.

Well, unfortunately, 23.8.1 did not change anything with the high power draw at idle. Release notes said it was improved but not for me!  I've now got a 24" LED monitor as my second monitor along with the Qled and still consistently drawing 95w.

Always the same idle problem with the 23.8.1 driver. Issue not fixed at all...

我的显卡5700xt也有165Hz的刷新率,系统桌面不会在没有任何操作的情况下对显存进行降频

0 Likes
blusonicx
Journeyman III

Same here. AMD didnt change a **bleep**. Its just still the same issue like 7 month now. I use a Samsung Neo G7 on 165hz and a second monitor on 60hz. When i use both monitors, i have exactly 90 watts power consumption in idle. When i turn of the 60hz monitor, then it goes down to 30 watts power consumption. When i turn it on, it goes back to 90 watts.

I only can just say one thing, this is my last amd card in my life, i never will buy again some amd **bleep**. You waiting for so long times and having those bad issues. 

Next setup, i go back to intel and nvidia. Im tired of this amd issues all the time.

You would think some climate change activists would be upset about AMD increasing the carbon footprint of its customers. We should report AMD or something lol.

Better yet, carbon shame them!!

Slashic
Adept II

I can confirm it is still present, i even tested at 144hz + 60hz monitor, nothing changes: 100w at idle.

Plus i can't believe they're defacto taking away this from the known issues in the released note, that seems to be an escape route for me.

LordBlitzo
Adept I

Got the same issue here
Got 3 FHD displays 2 60hz and 1 240hz when connected all 3 like this the power draw is around 103W

When i connect only 2 monitors and set the 240hz to 144hz power draw is around 20w in idle

I dont understand why AMD is trying to lie there like we woudnt notice

DeathK
Adept I

Still having the high idle issue as well. Memory clock is pegged full speed and board power idles at ~92W. I'm only running a single 4K 120Hz display with my 7900XTX too, not multi-monitor. Have had the issue since I got the card and been patiently waiting through every driver update for the problem to be fixed. Saw the blurb in the latest driver release notes and got excited. Installed them and it's still not fixed. Quite disappointing. I also submitted a bug report.

Oddly, the release notes did mention 4k@120hz. I wonder if they are going a 4k resolution at a time.

novasyd
Adept I

3 monitors : 2 x set at 60Hz and main monitor set to 240Hz and I get about 93W even with 23.7.1

Ghondo
Adept I

Same here, still high idle power draw ~ 100 watts. 3 Monitor Setup, all three 2560 x 1440 Px.
Updated to 23.7.1 with restarts and all the jazz, nothing changed in comparison to pre patch/update.

1. Dell S2716DG with 144 Hz, 8 bpc, no AMD FreeSync, SDR
2. Main Dell S2721DGF with 165 Hz, 10 bpc, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro enabled
3. Dell S2721DS with 60 Hz, 8 bpc, AMD FreeSync available but not enabled

Doesn't matter if i change all to the same Hz, bpc and disable FreeSync, always the same high power draw. Deactivating any of those monitors (so 2 still active) doesn't change anything. Going through different profiles and/or AMD graphic profile settings doesn't change anything. Only switching to 1 Monitor drops the power draw to ~15 Watts.

Kinda curious sidenote - the GPU-RAM MHz is always above atleast 2480 with all monitors on, even with no programm opened - sitting on desktop even after restart. Task-Manager doesn't show anything out of the ordinary.

In my case my GPU VRAM Clock is always staying at 2487 FIXED, when IDLE.

Update 23.8.1 still the same issues

New patch, same issue. Still not fixed, no change at all.
If there is more informationen needed I'm more than willing to provide to finally fix it.

0 Likes

monthly reminder: Version 23.9.1 still the same issue

0 Likes

With 23.9.2 still the same issue for me.

Played around with the Windows Energy Options I atleast got somewhat similar result to post https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/23-7-1-gt-high-power-draw-still-present/m-p/632480/hig...

Hovering around 44W after closing everything, "energy saving" windows energy mode and just running the AMD Software protocoll. Kinda expect the non-customized "balanced" plan to also reach low watts.

Still not anywhere near 10W though...

0 Likes
wolframwow
Adept I

I have same issue, 165Hz Monitor + 60Hz Monitor , consumption 20-30W in idle. When I switch the 60Hz Monitor to 144 Hz, the power jumps to 100W, even when idle.

GPU VRAM Clock is always staying in palce at 2487 MHz.
The 165Hz Monitor is a Dell Ultragear, and the 144Hz is a Acer Nitro.

Both monitors can run  AMD Freesync Premium Pro (and have it set)
Latest driver "23.7.1" installed 3 times (to make sure also with extra cleanups, etc)  but still didn't get fixed.

I also submitted a bug report.

Nitro + 7900XTX(23.7.1) 5950X  win11 latest version everything is up-to-date

Balanced power plan 
Everything stock except XMP

Got Samsung G7 240Hz Monitor (1016.1 latest firmware)

the card still draws 100w, literally just doing nothing 

MrHannibal66
Adept I

Nitro + 7900XTX(23.7.1) 5950X  win11 latest version everything is up-to-date

Balanced power plan 
Everything stock except XMP

Got Samsung G7 240Hz Monitor (1016.1 latest firmware)

the card still draws 100w, literally just doing nothing 

Tozan
Adept II

Same issue but with two 60 Hz displays - one LG 4k and one Eizo 1920x1200.
In idle with both displays on I have a power draw of 70 W to 80 W. If I turn the Eizo off it reduces down to 30 W. 

I got rid off the high power draw with the tool CRU.EXE. If I set both monitors to the parameter set "exact", which rises the amount of vertical blanking rows, the power draw goes down to 5 W (full idle) or 30 W (browsing, watching youtube). But that's not the way how it should work. 
The issue is that the driver holds the VRAM at 2500 MHz despite there is no heavy load. For whatever reason. 

LordBlitzo
Adept I

Fixed my high power draw by just buying a RX6400 for the 2 other Monitors... well thats the plan from amd

WingWarper1
Adept I

Well, unfortunately, 23.8.1 did not change anything with the high power draw at idle. Release notes said it was improved but not for me!  I've now got a 24" LED monitor as my second monitor along with the Qled and still consistently drawing 95w.

Well, unfortunately, 23.8.2 did not change anything with the high power draw at idle. No mention whatsoever of the issue as still open in the release notes! AMD wants this issue to just go away without fixing it - very sad.

wolframwow
Adept I

For me this issues still persists on Driver Version 23.8.1

Slashic
Adept II

Fixed for me in 23.8.1! From 100w to under 10w! At last!

Those who still have the issues, i suggest posting the monitors specs you're using (Res, refresh rat, VRR...), cheers.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the issue is not solved for me. 
Standard driver setting: 70-80 W
CRU-Tool with "exact" parameter set: 10-25 W with peaks up to 40 W

If someone at AMD interested in:

RX 7900 XT
display 1: LG 27UK670-B
display 2: Eizo EV2436W
both connected through DP

Standard settingStandard settingCRU set to "exact"CRU set to "exact"

wolframwow_0-1693052341067.png

Doing nothing and card draws 100+ W. You can clearly see the clock speed jump and board power jump as soon as I switch my 2nd monitor from 60Hz to 144Hz.

My monitors are Acer Nitro XV272U

wolframwow_1-1693052479033.png

and LG Ultragear 27GP850-B.AED

wolframwow_2-1693052514671.png

I have no HDR and no other setting except the AMD Freesync Premium and Radeon Image Sharpening (see below). Every other setting is at default state.

wolframwow_3-1693052671438.png

Driver Version:

wolframwow_0-1693052815771.png

wolframwow_1-1693052861997.png

0 Likes
WingWarper1
Adept I

Well, unfortunately, 23.8.2 did not change anything with the high power draw at idle. No mention whatsoever of the issue as still open in the release notes! AMD wants this issue to just go away without fixing it - very sad.

Agree with you!
Issue still opened, and AMD release notes remove the power issue from known issues.

0 Likes
Sugarbuzz
Adept I

Similar issue here with the latest drivers - 7900XTX on an LG C9 (TV) 3840x2160 @60hz idles at 10w with VRAM clock speed 35mhz. Next highest refresh is 100hz - idles at 90w to 100w with VRAM clock speed 2487mhz - it's nuts!

0 Likes
HABITB0L
Adept I

High power draw must be added to Known Issues again !

AMD wants to forget this problem. But it is still here for a lot of users. 

Please AMD, don't forget us ! 

wolframwow
Adept I

Issue is still present with 23.8.2 driver : switching from 60Hz to 144Hz still has the high idle power problem:

wolframwow_0-1693730821510.png

Please fix it already!

0 Likes
DeathK
Adept I

Seems like there's no real silver bullet for this issue. People either have to try to "fix" it themselves with custom CRU profiles or hope AMD creates a work around for their specific display setup. There's countless different configs out there so it's unlikely there will ever be an official fix for a lot of people.

wolframwow
Adept I

Is this issue completely forgotten? Still present in driver version 23.9.1

HABITB0L
Adept I

My 7900XTX power draw at idle is 55W with the driver 23.9.2 instead of 95W with older drivers. I have 2 screens 144Hz (4K + 1440p).

My VRAM clock speed is now locked to 909MHz instead of 2487mhz with older drivers.

It's still not perfect but it's better !

Sugarbuzz
Adept I

Looks like it may be fixed in 23.9.2 - my 7900XTX @120hz is now idling at 11W (down from 90w/100w). VRAM clock speed down from 2487mhz to 26mhz!

0 Likes
wolframwow
Adept I

It is finally fixed in 23.9.2 !!! I can't believe it!
I have my 1st monitor at 165Hz and my 2nd at 144Hz and I have ~7-10W in idle on my 7900XTX
Also GPU Memory  clock speed is normal now.

0 Likes