Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caretaker
Elite

22.40.5 Linux Driver

This bug is many months old by now:

on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS users are unable to install drivers fully fo a long time now.

Many versions of the linux drivers have they link busted, and the recent driver is supposed to have them fixed:

"Fixing an installation bug in 22.40.3 release preventing users from installing proprietary components" - AMD release notes;

and this is the CLI message same as previous ones:

E: Unable to locate package amdgpu-pro
E: Unable to locate package amdgpu-pro-lib32
E: Unable to locate package amdgpu-dkms

It doesnt matter the comand you use the pro/workstation version of them allways find something not able to locate and fail to install;

At this point i fell these releases aren't being tested at all and just compiled by a bot at released with random descripton :))

1 Reply
christoph2005
Journeyman III

This bug appears to be almost 2 years old at this point.
The only article that seems to have correct (most accurate/best) information on this can be found here:
https://support.zivid.com/en/latest/getting-started/software-installation/gpu/install-opencl-drivers...
If you're trying to just get OpenCL to work, that article was what worked for me (and none others).
I don't know why but it's the only article that suggests the specific driver version that "still works"
And they seem to be updated very recently: © Copyright 2015-2024 Zivid AS, last updated: 10 May 2024, 11:20 CET.

I haven't yet found anything that can get ROCm to work (on my Radeon VII), which is admittedly no longer supported (after ROCm 5.7), however as of ROCm 5.7 it was supposedly the ONLY supported "consumer grade" card. I haven't yet tried to "go for" the 5.7 release of their driver software, because the last time I "tried" to install their "officially supported" drivers on their "officially supported ubuntu version" I was left with the inability to start the xserver/desktop anymore and was unable to fix the package manager/dependency errors back to its default working condition. So if I "test" a specific version that supposedly works, and it doesn't work, the only way that I can figure out how to resolve that problem of "AMD drivers just not working" is to reinstall the operating system.

That said, the site I linked to at the beginning of this reply lists a driver that seemed to work in every way for me (except for ROCm (edit: I don't think amdvlk worked either), which I'm not sure it even was supposed to include ROCm anyway...)

I haven't found a best solution yet. Right now I'm thinking I'll just use the latest open source Mesa drivers from their official ppa (updated daily?) and I might only use the AMD driver(install script) posted above to install OpenCL support, because I still can't seem to understand how to install the Mesa OpenCL support (with rusticl/the good OpenCL). Allthough that only guarantees that I won't have ROCm support at all, and only an outdated (aug 2022) OpenCL driver.

Edit: Also, I still need to figure out how to install vulkan support

0 Likes