cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

thanatoast
Adept III

Re: 22.2.2, 22.2.3 and 22.3.1 Monitor flickering/stream, video stuttering

Had screen tearing on my system with 22.3.x drivers. In-game and on videos too. Downgraded to 22.2.1 and it went away,

CaligoVereor
Adept III

Still happening in 22.4.1 btw... Still happening...

golfalot
Journeyman III

FIXED Re: 22.2.2, 22.2.3 and 22.3.1 Monitor flickering/stream, video stuttering

I FIXED this with the following approach

TLDR:

1. Using the AMD auto detect installer, selected version 22.4.1 and ticked Factory Reset option.

Background:

1. The problem began for me only after creating my first game specific tuning profile (nothing fancy, just VRAM clock speed to stock speed of 1750  up from 1250 because X570 dumbly boosts VRAM when 2 monitors are connected, so I have to globally tune it down by default)

2. Deleting the frequently troublesome %localappdata%\AMD\CN did NOT fix the issue this time around.

Hope this helps someone

srulom
Adept I

Re: FIXED Re: 22.2.2, 22.2.3 and 22.3.1 Monitor flickering/stream, video stuttering

Thank you for the advice. I don't have any custom profile, and issue is still present, even after factory reset

0 Likes
beseezy
Adept I

Have you tried with 22.4.2 and seeing if it's still happening for you?  I haven't tried yet.  I feel like it'll just disappoint me further.

0 Likes
thanatoast
Adept III

@beseezy  I'll take the plunge for you LOL. Gotten pretty rapid at driver installation at this point....

thanatoast
Adept III

@beseezy  So...got a full system crash during installation of 22.4.2. Had to button my PC, just a black screen and nothing else.
NEVER had that happen before. Not once. Owned my Vega since 2018. Back on 22.2.1 (again). I definitely could have pushed further and tried installing again but....man. I just don't have it in me.

So I'm gonna go ahead and say....maybe don't bother? Unless you're feeling adventurous...

Also something funny I thought I'd mention. For as long as I can remember, every driver installation has resulted in the bug report tool saying that my drivers crashed during installation, despite everything being perfectly fine.

AMD OMEGALUL.png
I find it pretty funny, honestly. Even the **bleep**ing bug report tool is scuffed. 
I'm losing my mind.

CaligoVereor
Adept III

TL;DR - I didn't try 22.4.2 because it most likely still has this issue. How do I know that?

Well, a while ago I was replying to someone on AMD's Reddit who had the same problems and when I mentioned that I even contacted AMD tech support someone from AMD reached out and asked for some details including a video of the issue happening for internal repro. Now in this patch notes you can see a Known Issue "Display may flicker black while switching tabs between video playback and gameplay on some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6700 XT." I asked them and it is indeed referring to this flickering problem I had so until that is moved to Fixed Issues I don't think there's a point in updating. But if anyone here has tried 22.4.2 and issue has somehow been fixed let me know.

beseezy
Adept I

@thanatoast Wow, I'm sorry this resulted in your first system crash.  I think AMD definitely needs to work on their driver QA some more.

Thanks for taking the plunge for us and letting us know the 22.4.x driver series appear to still be borked.

I've not yet experienced the bug report tool saying anything during installs but it might just be a matter of time.

0 Likes
Poksomanbiko
Adept II

By the sound of it, you are most likely experiencing "Graphical Artifacts".
One of the easiest solutions to this is to make sure that your monitor is at a higher Hz than 59.959 to achieve proper average 60 FPS baseline. Another very simple solution, is to open your PC case and check that everything is properly situated into place like it should be. A more un-common issue is that if you bought any component (most likely the GPU), that it could very much be faulty.

The incredibly helpful "Make sure that" List:
Make sure that you haven't spilled any Thermal paste or anything else that might damage your components over time.
Make sure that your case isn't dusty, and to clean out your case's dust filters for maximum airflow.
Make sure that your power supply is giving out enough Wattage for your PC.
Make sure that you have no viruses on your OS, (for obvious reasons).
ESSPECILLY make sure that ALL of your drivers are up to date.

~ Ari the somewhat Intelligent Tinkerer
0 Likes