Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

goosethesecond
Adept III

19.12.1 is still the most stable...

Jump to solution

Dear AMD,

I am currently on 19.12.1 as it is STILL the ONLY stable driver that allows me to play my games without interruptions. Every new 2020 driver since the first release has been a complete disaster and doesn't allow me a smooth experience anywhere. I've always been an AMD lover my whole life, always recommending it to my friends. I am someone that helps people build PCs and in the past year alone, I've put together parts list for four close friends of mine ALL utilizing Ryzen processors and Radeon GPUs. I personally provide support to them whenever they need it and it's just becoming embarrassing at this point that you guys can't figure out your 2020 drivers. 

I built myself a brand-new system in December 2019 using what I thought was the latest and greatest: Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon RX5700, and a PCIe4.0 X570 motherboard. At this point... I'm only SO close to wishing I would have went with Intel/nVidia (my previous ASUS gaming laptop from 2012 is Intel/nVidia and in most cases still more stable when it comes to GPU work) yet I refuse to give in to that. This is your last chance or this system is definitely my first and last AMD build and the last time I put together an all-AMD parts list for future friend/client builds. 

Get it straight already!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
colesdav
MVP

Re: 19.12.1 is still the most stable...

Jump to solution

Hi I am running Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI with Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 Drivers on a pair of RX Vega 64 Liquid, PowerColor Red Dragon, Radeon Pro Duo, XFX R9 390X Black edition. 

That seems to be the best option for me at the moment w.r.t Radeon Drivers.

It is an easy install process:
1. Install Adrenalin 19.12.1.
2. Download and extract Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. drivers under C:\AMD .
3. Go to Device Manager and update Drivers for your primary AMD GPU.
4. Point to: C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.2.2-Feb28\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

That way you:

(A). Should pick up lots of bug fixes in Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 drivers.

(B). Do not have to deal with the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI.
(C). Still have Global and Local FRTC independent of Chill_Max slider.
(D). You still get proper Crossfire/MultiGPU pairing selection control.
(E). You still get Crossfire DX11 Profiles in the GUI/UI. 

Some problems though.

(F).  There is no button to enable Radeon Boost in the GUI that I have found.
(G).  The Chill Hotkey does not work - I cannot set ALT+W as my Radeon Chill Hotkey. Only option = F11.
        I have filed an AMD Reporting form about that. Chill hotkey does not work in any version of full Adrenalin 2020   GUI/UI install from 19.12.2 to 20.2.2 that I have tested.

View solution in original post

74 Replies
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hi I am running Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI with Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 Drivers on a pair of RX Vega 64 Liquid, PowerColor Red Dragon, Radeon Pro Duo, XFX R9 390X Black edition. 

That seems to be the best option for me at the moment w.r.t Radeon Drivers.

It is an easy install process:
1. Install Adrenalin 19.12.1.
2. Download and extract Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2. drivers under C:\AMD .
3. Go to Device Manager and update Drivers for your primary AMD GPU.
4. Point to: C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.2.2-Feb28\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF

That way you:

(A). Should pick up lots of bug fixes in Adrenalin 2020 20.2.2 drivers.

(B). Do not have to deal with the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI.
(C). Still have Global and Local FRTC independent of Chill_Max slider.
(D). You still get proper Crossfire/MultiGPU pairing selection control.
(E). You still get Crossfire DX11 Profiles in the GUI/UI. 

Some problems though.

(F).  There is no button to enable Radeon Boost in the GUI that I have found.
(G).  The Chill Hotkey does not work - I cannot set ALT+W as my Radeon Chill Hotkey. Only option = F11.
        I have filed an AMD Reporting form about that. Chill hotkey does not work in any version of full Adrenalin 2020   GUI/UI install from 19.12.2 to 20.2.2 that I have tested.

View solution in original post

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Your other option is to download and install the following Radeon Pro Software for Enterprise Drivers 2020 20.Q1.

I have been asking AMD that older Radeon GPUs are supprted and that a fix would be implemented so the drivers worked on my RX Vega 64 GPUs.

AMD have kindly implemented the fixes and opend the drivers up to older Radeon Cards.

Information here:
https://community.amd.com/community/radeon-pro-graphics/blog/2020/02/10/announcing-amd-radeon-pro-so... 
Release Notes;
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-pro-win-20-q1-1 

Detailed information - starting at page 13 of this:

https://drivers.amd.com/relnotes/amd-radeon-pro-software-for-enterprise-20.Q1.1.pdf 

You can also see some testing of those drivers on these posts:
Please add support for Radeon R9 FuryX, Fury, Nano (Fiji based Radeon GPUs) in Radeon Pro Software f... 
Can AMD add support for R9 Fury, Nano, and Fury X Series desktop GPUs in Radeon Pro Software for En... 

https://community.amd.com/thread/238941 

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

You may want to give feedback about teh Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI interface here:
Do you like the new interface of Adrenalin 2020 Edition? 
If you spot any more problems with it or things you like about it please add them to that thread.
I have stopped looking at the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI for a while because it annoys me so much to see what a mess AMD made of it.
Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI is not for people who have multiGPU setups for sure and DX11 CrossFire users can forget it.

I wish they had kept and improved some aspects of  Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 style GUI/UI as the default GUI install option, added support for Radeon Boost, and concentrated on improving driver performance and stability.

I think the Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI should be an optional Beta Testing and user feedback install option or else it should be dropped completely.
Dropping FRTC independent from Radeon Chill, Always on Game Advisor, terrible badly ergonomic design user interface and integrated web browser = potential security issues.

goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

Wow colesdav, that is amazing. I will try these methods, thank you for all your work. 

I will report back here on my results. I am grateful for you.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

No problem.
If you get any problems please keep me posted.
Note if you do not like the idea of having to use an Adrenalin 2019 GUI + Adrenalin 2020 drivers mix you can use those those Radeon Pro for Enterprise 2020 20.Q1 for gaming. They run BF1 and BFV really well for me. 

Here is how you update the drivers in Windows 10 Pro 19.09:
pastedImage_2.png
pastedImage_3.png
pastedImage_4.png

Good luck.

goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

By the way, I've never used any of these AMD features such as Chill, Radeon Boost, or FRTC. Are there any advantages to this?

The only feature I use currently under 19.12.1 is Enhanced Sync. Every game I've played thus far (Crysis 1, BF4, BF5, and Fornite) is extremely stable and achieving 144+ FPS as my monitor is 144Hz.

Is Chill something to decrease the power of my video card if the framerate goes above the refresh rate of my monitor? Also, Boost is a 2020-only feature anyway correct? 

Basically, why do you like features like Chill and FRTC? How would those benefit me?

0 Kudos
goosethesecond
Adept III

Jump to solution

pastedImage_1.png

Ok, so I am going with the first method; keeping 19.12.1 GUI/UI and only installed the new 20.2.2 driver under Device Manager. Interestingly, the Radeon Boost feature you mentioned IS an option here but I do not plan to use that nor do I plan to use Chill. I set the 'Wait for Vertical Refresh' option to Enhanced Sync like I had before. I also did not do this under Safe Mode nor did I do a fresh install. Will report back on stability.

At first the Device Manager manual driver window said it didn't install correctly but after a restart, it booted fine and it correctly shows the new driver package under 'System > Software' in Radeon Settings (below).

pastedImage_2.png

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

RE: Is Chill something to decrease the power of my video card if the framerate goes above the refresh rate of my monitor?
No.
In adrenalin 2019
Chill can be used to save lots of power if you set Chill_Min to a low value. Lets say 30.
In that case if you have no keyboard or mouse input. FPS will drop to 30 FPS.
Chill_Max is a slider control which allows you to scale how much Keyboard Only Input FPS you get versus the Chill_Min value.
So for Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 300, you will get ~ 55 FPS with Keyboard only input.
If you waggle your mouse rapidly then FPS will increase up towards Chill_Max FPS = 300. 
FRTC can be used to limit the peak frame rate with Rapid mouse movement.
So if you set FRTC to 143, then rapid mouse movement would be limited to 143.

If you want to get better keyboard only input FPS Performance you have to set a higher value of Chill_Min.
In that case you save much less power when you have no keyboard or mouse input.

You could uses Chill with Chill_Min = 144,  Chill_Max = 154 = FRTC = 154 and that might save you a bit of power.
But I think it will be negligible compared to Chill_Min = 30. 

Unfortunately Chill killing Keyboard only input performance is something AMD have never fixed despite lots of requests.

FRTC, Frame Rate Target Control is available in Adrenalin 2019 and previous versions of Adrenalin/Crimson Relive/Crimson and I think in late version of AMD Catalyst as an independent Frame Rate Limiter.

If you set it to ~1 FPS below the top end of your FreeSync Range it should guarantee absolutely no screen tearing at all with FreeSync on and in game engine VSync off, because it keeps the FPS within the FreeSync Range of the monitor.

Locking max FPS to 143 with VSync off then you save power.

In Adrenalin 2020 AMD have removed FRTC Slider so you can no longer set FRTC independent of Chill_Max.
This totally messes up Chill.
Because if you want to set Chill_Min = 30, Chill_Max = 300, you cannot limit peak FPS from rapid mouse movement unless you also turn on in game VSync.
If you turn on in game Vsync you will get no screen tearing if rapid mouse movement causes FPS ramp up because it is locked to monitor refresh rate.
However because you run with Chill_Min = 30 FPS to save lots of power and you get max keyboard input only FPS of ~ 55FPS it is a laggy experience if no FreeSync monitor or if below low end of FreeSync Range which can be as high as 48.

Turning on Enhanced Sync with Chill causes my GPU to crash.

colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hi,

RE: Interestingly, the Radeon Boost feature you mentioned IS an option here 

Yes interesting.

I cannot explain that one.

My incremental driver update worked fine though.

I am working on something else right now.

Let me power the PC down, reboot, and I will get back to you.

0 Kudos