cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD Embedded: Big Performance, Small Packages, Fun Applications

stephen_turnbull
2 0 3,644

What system-on-chip (SoC) provides the ability to run four independent displays in 4K resolution, handle AAA gaming and provide client-side 3D rendering? The AMD Ryzen™ Embedded V1000 SoC.

The AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 processor family has won over customers from a variety of industries with its ability to deliver up to 2X boosti in processing performance while reducing the design, form factor and thermal management challenges common in discrete CPU and GPU configurations. Not to mention the up to 3X increase in GPU performance over competitive solutionsii. By coupling a high-performance CPU and GPU on a single die, this marks a new age of embedded processors in terms of performance and graphics capabilities.

I’d like to talk about two customers of ours that are taking full advantage of the AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 feature set to bring truly unique and engaging experiences to the gaming and maker industries.

The UDOO BOLT – The Ultimate Maker Board

I’m an engineer at heart and anytime I get the chance to tinker, create or make a computer from scratch, I always love it. And that’s what the people behind the UDOO BOLT want their customers to do, in a really powerful way! Using the full power of AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 processors, the UDOO BOLT is a really cool maker board that allows customers to do all kinds of creating. Maurizio Caporali, product manager at UDOO, knows how great the BOLT is for any kind of tinkerer “The UDOO BOLT represents the highest level of graphics, processing power and flexibility in the field of maker boards, giving makers the chance to play AAA quality games, or drive Client-Side 3D rendering, or even create Virtual and Augmented Reality experiences.”

The UDOO BOLT was launched on crowdfunding site Kickstarter and has more than 1,100 “backers” contributing more than $500,000 U.S. – beating handily the $100,000 goal for the Kickstarter campaign. If you want to experience the power of AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 SoC in a “maker-package” this is your chance.

The Power of a Console in the Palm of your Hand

Showing the power of AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 processors and AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Graphics, the SMACH Z, a handheld console to play PC games on the go, gives players the ability to immerse themselves in portable HD gaming at silky smooth frame rates.

“The introduction of the SMACH Z handheld console will create new opportunities for portable gaming devices, enabling users to play AAA titles at HD framerates, delivering desktop-quality power and graphics in the palm of players’ hands,” said Daniel Fernandez, CEO, SMACH. “By leveraging the new AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 with superior graphics capabilities and mega processing power in our console, we are ready to revolutionize the on-the-go consumer gaming experience.”

SMACH Z raised more than $740,000 via Kickstarter and Indiegogo crowdfunding campaigns. If you haven’t had a chance to check out SMACH Z, you can view their trailer from E3.

The Many Applications of AMD Embedded

What’s most impressive to me is that in a short period of time, customers from a variety of industries have come to understand the power and capabilities of the transformative AMD Ryzen Embedded V1000 processors. They understand that whatever their solution is, whether gaming, creating, or high-definition displays, AMD provides a seamlessly-integrated SoC solution that sets a new standard in processing power for next-generation embedded designs.

We can’t wait to see what else our customers will do with the AMD Embedded family of products. Stay tuned here for more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Testing done at AMD Embedded Software Engineering Lab. The AMD R-series Embedded SOC formerly codenamed "Merlin Falcon" scored 2399 and the AMD V-series V1807 scored 4978, when running 3dMark® 11P benchmark which measures GPU performance. (4978/2399=2.075) The AMD R-series Embedded SOC formerly called "Merlin Falcon" scored 273 and the AMD V-series V1807 scored 665 on Cinebench R15 nT which measures multi-threaded CPU performance. (665/273= 2.435). AMD Embedded R-Series RX-421BD used a AMD “Bettong” Platform, with a 2x8GB DDR4-2400 RAM, 250GB SSD Drive (non-rotating), TDP 35W, STAPM and ECC Disabled, Graphics Driver 17.40.2011-171026a-320350C-AES, BIOS RBE1306A. AMD Ryzen Embedded V-Series V1807B used the AMD “Dibbler” Platform with 2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 250GB SSD Drive (non-rotating), TDP 35W, STAPM and ECC Disabled, Graphics Driver 17.40-171114a-320676E-AES-2-wRV-E9171, BIOS TDB1100EA.   Both systems ran Microsoft Windows® 10 Pro. EMB-144.

[ii]Comparison is based on performance measured using the 3dMark® 11P benchmark.  The AMD V-series V1807B scored 5618; the Intel Core i7-7700HQ scored 1783. The score for the Intel Core i7-7700HQ was measured using HP Omen with 8GB, Intel® HD 630 Graphics, 1x8GB DDR4 2400 RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HD, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Graphics Driver 21.20.16.4627, BIOS F.24. The score for AMD Ryzen Embedded V-Series V1807B was measured using the AMD “Dibbler” Platform, 2x8GB DDR4 3200 RAM, 250GB SSD Drive (non-rotating), TDP 45W, STAPM Enabled, ECC Disabled, Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Graphics Driver 17.40-171114a-320676E-AES-2-wRV-E9171, BIOS TDB1100EA. EMB-146.